PDA

View Full Version : OIL + filter change

micdee
March 22nd, 2011, 10:42
This weekend after a failed first attempt the week before I did the oil + filter change. Together with it I change the oilpan and sealing. (the sealing needed to be replaced cuz it was no longer sweating but more like dripping.

Why doing it myself??: I like to work on my car. I am no mechanic, but with the help of repair / shop manuals I used to know what, where an how to do, with all my previous cars

Oilpan change no problem
I ordered a new pan because with the first attempt I could not get the oilplug loose. (So I ordered an new one, plus plug and washer) And yes of course after a I drove the car around to warm up the oil I had one more go to loosen the plug it did. So..

Oil removal was easy but then I had to remove the oilfilter.
all the famous manual explained was that the filter was situated on the right hand side on the V8 engines.
I did have the "special tool" for the filter, but in my case I could fit the partial tool but had no other tool to fit to it so that I could get the filter loose.
So I used my old oil filter tool a leather band after some 10 mins of trying I managed to get the filter off......
But then... there was not enough space near the axle to get it out, but also not enough space to remove it straight down (the ARB was in the way)

Nothing explained in the manual, so I loosened the ARB and then had just enough space to remove the old and fit the new filter.
That was kind of a struggle to get it all done... Hopefully it might help someone else who would like to have a go ....

But I also have a question to you all who already did an oil + filter change
Is there maybe another way to get that filter out?

speedtrapped
March 22nd, 2011, 13:19
I think someone did a write up on these pages about removing the front tire to get access to oil filter. I have not done it, but I hear it is more accessiable.

JSRS6
March 22nd, 2011, 13:30
Indeed. If you remove the front passenger tire, you can snake the filter in and out from the side.

micdee
March 22nd, 2011, 15:15
I think someone did a write up on these pages about removing the front tire to get access to oil filter. I have not done it, but I hear it is more accessiable.

I guess I need a lesson in how to find something in all the postings.... cuz when I use the search function, I do get either NO RESULT or so many results without the info I am looking for that I tend to stop using the search function. (I did use oil AND change and filter on the RS6 forum)

Indeed. If you remove the front passenger tire, you can snake the filter in and out from the side.

Hmm I think that is the only option I did not try .... LOL and I did have the tire off, because I also wanted to lower the front with 1cm...

vitalian
March 22nd, 2011, 16:54
I have owned my RS6 for just over a month, and so far I have learned 1) that the engine has to be removed from the car to replace the starter (personal experience), and 2) that it is a good idea to remove the right front tire in order to replace the oil filter.

Is there anything that's easy to replace/fix on these cars?:)

JSRS6
March 22nd, 2011, 16:59
I haven't come across anything YET that was hard, just time consuming.

ben916
March 22nd, 2011, 17:23

My tech, Mike/Tony at PureMS, lifted the heavy beast, dropped the belly pan, removed the front right side sway, drained oil, removed blah blah blah.... found miss, VCDS-ed it, confirmed miss, suggested change sparkies first, then if that doesn't work change coilpacks - read "SNAP, SHIT!" and search for "rabbit hole".

Yeah...
1. The Sportec cooling mod - the belly pan (you know, the horrendously beat-up thingy under the front of the car) only takes a penny to remove the Dzus fasteners (12 or 14 of them). Then another 1.5 hr to cut a hole in the belly pan.

2. The Apikol rear diff mount - if it is a one person job, it IS challenging to get the bolt on the other side of the diff. If a two person job, it can be done in ±30 minutes.

3. D.A.P.D. (Do As Pat Does) - put car on jack stands, remove all 4 tires, put trash bags around rotors and calipers, wash car, dry car, remove bags, clean calipers, get out mop-n-glow, spray liberally, torque lug bolts to 90ft.lb, smile!

EDIT:
Agreed! Time consuming AND you have to have the right tools and a space to do the work

Brav
March 22nd, 2011, 18:08
I unbolted the sway bar.. came out reasonably enough. Still wish I had BMW style remote filter

And yes, the search function on this site is terrible. It searches ANY of the words you use, not ALL. so you are reduced to one-word searches.

Aronis
March 22nd, 2011, 19:16
Drop both sides of the Sway bar...

still have to tip the filter the "wrong way" to get it out...messy.

I was looking at that access from the passenger side wheel well and it still looks questionable to me! I had the strut out too!

But since there are those who say they have done it this way, I'm going to try. I'm past due for another oil change, but I want to change my valve cover gaskets first.

Mike

micdee
March 22nd, 2011, 20:20
Ok, so how about the (un)screwing of the filter off/onto the fitting:

Did/do you use the tool i.e.:

http://images.outdoorpros.com/images/prod/5/CTA-Tools-A265-rw-52871-63277.jpg

Mine is exactly like this one
I could not use the oil filter wrench because there is not enough space behind to fit the rattle and use it.......:vhmmm::vhmmm:

Therefore I used the "leather band wrench"

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/core/media/media.nl?id=1627&c=317638&h=5ba01e0e4bd681f09fd1&resizeid=-2&resizeh=150&resizew=150

It only took me about 10mins before I saw some movement of the filter.
I guess I will buy one of those filter pliers. Hopefully they will do the job for me in a 1 min next time.... :hahahehe:

Elevens
March 22nd, 2011, 20:33
A recent Thread:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21490-C5-RS6-oil-change

Aronis
March 23rd, 2011, 00:12
I have a similar strap type wrench but the strap is plastic. PITA when it gets any oil on it. I added some duct tape to make it more rough.

sheatisdale
March 23rd, 2011, 17:37
Mop-n-glow?

V8weight
March 23rd, 2011, 19:01
I just use a strap wrench with a swivel handle.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/53500.jpg

ben916
March 23rd, 2011, 19:07
Mop-n-glow?

Have you seen the photos of the inside of DHall1's wheel wells? SPOTLESS...

Aronis
March 23rd, 2011, 20:21
I just use a strap wrench with a swivel handle.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/53500.jpg

I have one of those two (actually two different sizes LOL). The strap one is a better fit for the tightening part (hand tight plus a quarter turn). The metal one does not fit for the tightening part LOL.

Mike

ttboost
March 23rd, 2011, 22:26
I have owned my RS6 for just over a month, and so far I have learned 1) that the engine has to be removed from the car to replace the starter (personal experience), and 2) that it is a good idea to remove the right front tire in order to replace the oil filter.

MAYBE wipers. not sure yet...

Aronis
March 24th, 2011, 00:21
Rotors are extremely easy to change.
Floor mats too.

Oil and filter PITA.
Air filter. PITA.
Spark plugs. PITA.

Stereo station, pretty easy.

ben916
March 24th, 2011, 01:44
Rotors are extremely easy to change.
Floor mats too.

Oil and filter PITA.
Air filter. PITA.
Spark plugs. PITA.

Stereo station, pretty easy.

At least ya don't have to drop the motor to change the spark plugs....

EDIT: $hit I just gave Audi a great idea to increase service revenues - I want my $hare!

V8weight
March 24th, 2011, 01:45
Oil and filter: 4 beers
Plugs, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter: 6 beers
Timing belt service: 14 beers
R&R downpipes: 12 beers
Wash and wax: whole case, send Rachel for second case 3/4 way through.

kevin
March 24th, 2011, 02:12
^^^^ like this!

4everRS
March 24th, 2011, 02:18
This also happens to be what Pat charges for his services. He may be stepping up his fee soon to include a meth kit.:)

vitalian
March 24th, 2011, 14:42

Good to know! I'm going to go at it with Acrylic Werks and clay pretty soon, and I'll make sure to stock up on the requisite amount of beer!