PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Control Arms on RS6

Elwood30
March 22nd, 2011, 01:53
I'm curious who's changed out the control arms on their RS6 and whether there is a brand that seems to have worked out best for everyone? I'm going to replace the upper control arms and sway bar links and I thought I'd try to learn from others experiences before making the purchase. Suggestions?

V8weight
March 22nd, 2011, 01:58
I replaced my control arms with the 034 Motorsport Density line pieces, which claim to use a higher density rubber in the bushings, but the arms themselves seem to be a very cheaply made Chinese part. I would use only Lemforder made arms (OEM) if I were to do it again. Cheaper than Audi parts, but still the actual supplier for Audi. Stay away from Febi made arms.

speedtrapped
March 22nd, 2011, 02:00
Pat where can I order the lemforder arms?

hahnmgh63
March 22nd, 2011, 02:03
I've had the Febi/Bilstein arms on my cars before and the Meyle (HD) and I highly recommend the Meyle Arms, they along with Lemforder are a OEM supplier to Audi, although Febi/Bilstein has been a OEM supplier in the past too. The rubber bushings in the Meyle arms are a little denser and thicker than the Febi/Bilstein arms, I would say in appearence, all of the ball joints look to be about the same. AutohausAZ has some pretty good prices on the Meyle, they tend to be a little more than the Febi/Bilstein units but I think the little extra cost is worth it.

kevin
March 22nd, 2011, 02:17
We have had the best results with Lemforder or TRW. The other cheaper stuff just does not go the distance.

Gustaf
March 22nd, 2011, 14:04
Wasn't there talk on the board of a control arm group buy?

Elwood30
March 22nd, 2011, 14:18
Thanks for the replies. I took a look at AuthausAZ and they do have some good prices. I've replaced the upper control arms recently but I'm still having some vibration/looseness in the front suspension. I was planning on doing front lower control arms, sway bar links and tie rods. However, when I look at different sites for control arms, I only see Lemfoerder for lower front, rear position. The lower control arm that is connected to the sway bar links doesn't seem to be sold by many places. Is there a reason that I'm not seeing this sold many places? Do you typically not replace that control arm?

hahnmgh63
March 22nd, 2011, 16:44
The only difference between the RS6 lower control arms and the A6 (Aluminum upright) control arms is the bushing density. You pay a lot more for the Lemforder for the lower front RS6 control arm just for the two bushings. I would just go with the Meyle which is about the same (probably better) than the Lemforder for a lot less, as mentioned earlier, stay away from the Febi/Bilstein and others like MRC, Dorman, STI, and any site that doesn't list the brand. The uppers are real easy to replace as you can see, the lowers are a bit tougher.