PDA

View Full Version : Majestic Epic Fail !!!

Majestic
March 22nd, 2011, 01:18
this is kind of a continuation from when LIRS6 posted like 2 weeks ago.
I said I was having trouble taking off my tire because it was larger than standard, so someone suggested I go to auto zone and get a 4 way tire iron.

Well I went and got a 4 way tire iron and went through and finally one fit on the bolt so I twisted and then i heard a crack, I then took it off to take a look, I thought ok maybe it was just some sand or dirt that was making that sound so then i twisted again and crack, it came loose. I look and see that these were plastic caps for the bolts to make the tire look pretty. Since I cracked off one I went to the trunk to see if the old tire iron that was supplied with the car fit, and sure enough it fits.

It was pitch black at 9 pm so I will change the tire tomorrow.
The Epic Fail of the week goes to me for being a retard.
Does anyone know where to get an extra plastic cap for the one that I broke?

Also how do i take off the plastic caps? I tried to take it off with my fingers but it wont come out I dont want to crack them all off.
Do I just get a screwdriver and just pluck them out?
Its really dark and drizzling rain out there so I dont want to play around too much.

Thanks for all that reply.

ZCD2.7T
March 22nd, 2011, 01:31
That's pretty funny, but I'm sure you're not the only one to have done that. You're probably one of the few who would admit it, though!

Those "modesty covers" over the lug bolts are really more trouble than they're worth. There should be a small tool packed in with your jack that is specifically designed to remove those covers easily - check it out.

And, once they're off, my suggestion is to leave them off. They serve no functional purpose, and nobody's likely to realize that they're gone if you didn't specifically mention it.

ben916
March 22nd, 2011, 01:33
I don't know how to take them off but I remember seeing these caps on my least favorite of Audi websites: ECS.
Also, when/if you retorque the bolts back on, IIRC they are spec-ed at 90-92ft/lb.
I know Wade was giggling his ass off when I was either attempting to remove the bolts and/or torquing them down..
165lb isn't much to work with...

marklar182
March 22nd, 2011, 01:41
What type of wheels do you have? US RS6 will probably not have the tool since the US wheels had the 1 piece lug cover.

My A4 used the covers and cover removal tool (8D0012244A)

Are the covers grey (321601173AZ37)or black (321601173A01C)?

Tool;

http://c1552172.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/3250_x600.jpg

V8weight
March 22nd, 2011, 01:43
Don't feel bad, my wheel failure this weekend was 10 times more epic than yours, like $800 epic, plus time and materials.............

ben916
March 22nd, 2011, 02:13
Don't feel bad, my wheel failure this weekend was 10 times more epic than yours, like $800 epic, plus time and materials.............

Is there a new thread coming????

Is it along the lines of "DPE dropped from 6' up?" or "don't use your dishwasher for your DPE's"??? I am reaching here...

SAF
March 22nd, 2011, 02:15
I probably have one or two of those pullers here somewhere from other Audi tool kits. Thank you for admitting your adventure though, that's a funny one.

V8weight
March 22nd, 2011, 03:03
Is there a new thread coming????

Is it along the lines of "DPE dropped from 6' up?" or "don't use your dishwasher for your DPE's"??? I am reaching here...
Long story, still an open wound so to speak. I decided to refinish my DPE's with spring pending, as the chrome on the outer lips was starting to lift. I dismounted the tires, then dissembled the wheels. I tried sanding the chrome off the outer wheel halves, not working. I tried grinding it off with a 36 grit Roloc disk, not working. I then decided I would remove the chrome in an amateur electrolytic bath. I filled a plastic tote with 20 gallons of water and muriatic acid, then dropped a ground lead into the tote, and attached a 12 volt 10amp cable to my wheel halves and suspended them in the tub of doom. The chrome flaked right off, then the acid proceeded to maliciously attack the aluminum where the chrome had already flaked. My outer rim halves are junk.....toast. I had to order new halves from Forgeline this morning to the tune of $800. Not only that, but I now have 20 gallons of toxic waste in a tote that I have no idea what to do with. Oh well.

ben916
March 22nd, 2011, 03:10
Long story, still an open wound so to speak. I decided to refinish my DPE's with spring pending, as the chrome on the outer lips was starting to lift. I dismounted the tires, then dissembled the wheels. I tried sanding the chrome off the outer wheel halves, not working. I tried grinding it off with a 36 grit Roloc disk, not working. I then decided I would remove the chrome in an amateur electrolytic bath. I filled a plastic tote with 20 gallons of water and muriatic acid, then dropped a ground lead into the tote, and attached a 12 volt 10amp cable to my wheel halves and suspended them in the tub of doom. The chrome flaked right off, then the acid proceeded to maliciously attack the aluminum where the chrome had already flaked. My outer rim halves are junk.....toast. I had to order new halves from Forgeline this morning to the tune of $800. Not only that, but I now have 20 gallons of toxic waste in a tote that I have no idea what to do with. Oh well.

Send it to the governor... :)

Sorry to hear about that!

JSRS6
March 22nd, 2011, 03:10
You could neutralize it with a base, such as baking soda. Sorry to hear about the rims Pat.

V8weight
March 22nd, 2011, 03:18
Thanks guys, not a big deal, my rim refinish just turned out to be a little more expensive than I had planned. I don't know if tossing baking soda in the tub is safe at this point. I threw a little bit at it, and it caused a rather large reaction and gave off a lot of gas. I guess I may end up just carefully transferring it to jugs and using it to clean the garage floor over time. :)

JSRS6
March 22nd, 2011, 03:22
Correct, that would be a good use for it. For future reference, you shouldn't throw the baking soda directly into the acid, rather make a solution with water and slowly mix it in.

V8weight
March 22nd, 2011, 03:27
Now this is how you F&#% up a wheel. Feels good to talk about it.....
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/004-23.jpg

skribe
March 22nd, 2011, 03:50
I'm sorry for laughing, Pat. But damn that was funny. I've done worse. I once tried to move a small building on my property with block & tackle, rollers, and a twelve pack of miller lite.

It did not end well :lovl:

vitalian
March 22nd, 2011, 04:28
I'm sorry for laughing, Pat. But damn that was funny. I've done worse. I once tried to move a small building on my property with block & tackle, rollers, and a twelve pack of miller lite.

It did not end well :lovl:

But it seemed like a good idea at the time, right?

Born2be
March 22nd, 2011, 04:56
Also, when/if you retorque the bolts back on, IIRC they are spec-ed at 90-92ft/lb.
I know Wade was giggling his ass off when I was either attempting to remove the bolts and/or torquing them down..
165lb isn't much to work with...

Only because the 8 year old little girl next door finally came over and torqued it down for him....

W>

Majestic
March 24th, 2011, 18:52
Ok I finally got the spare tire on but umm.... I think its flat.

I am so tired of this tire thing I am just going to drive to the dealer on the spare with it flat because I am tired of this nonsense.
Lucky for me the dealer is 1 mile away and its all local, I will just not take the main roads.

ben916
March 24th, 2011, 18:56
Ok I finally got the spare tire on but umm.... I think its flat.

I am so tired of this tire thing I am just going to drive to the dealer on the spare with it flat because I am tired of this nonsense.
Lucky for me the dealer is 1 mile away and its all local, I will just not take the main roads.

Is it that compressed OEM RS6 spare tire?
If so, it has be inflated.
There was a thread about these inflato-flat-spares on AZ where the tread folded inwards towards the control arms...

JSRS6
March 24th, 2011, 18:56
The spare is a space saving vredenstein. All are flat, you have to air them up. If you don't have a pump in the passenger side compartment in the trunk, go get one.

JSRS6
March 24th, 2011, 18:58
Damn you Ben! LOL

ben916
March 24th, 2011, 18:58
Damn you Ben! LOL

Ya gotta type faster than 90wpm... but good luck with that...

JSRS6
March 24th, 2011, 19:01
Haha, not on my iPhone!

Majestic
March 24th, 2011, 19:17
inflatable spares are a joke, if you are in the middle of no where and their is no gas station, arent you pretty much screwed?

Well I live so close I will just drive it flat over there even though i know its retarded. Well if I feel like it I will jack it back up and take off the tire and drive it to get inflated tonight but I am so sick of this dumb flat tire thing I feel like just leaving it.

vitalian
March 24th, 2011, 19:21
Majestic, look in your owner's manual -- there are directions for inflating the spare, which, if I recall correctly, includes plugging the pump into your cigarette lighter (so you can do it even if you're stranded, assuming your battery isn't dead).

ben916
March 24th, 2011, 19:23
inflatable spares are a joke, if you are in the middle of no where and their is no gas station, arent you pretty much screwed?

Well I live so close I will just drive it flat over there even though i know its retarded. Well if I feel like it I will jack it back up and take off the tire and drive it to get inflated tonight but I am so sick of this dumb flat tire thing I feel like just leaving it.

Yeah, now I am thinking about doing a test of mine to verify that it actually would work/function.

I wouldn't be so quick to drive it on the rim or on the uninflated spare, unless you are tossing the spare into the trash after that.
Your ride height might compromised and even if it is only one mile, you could grind other things down - costing even more $$$$$...

marklar182
March 24th, 2011, 19:24
She is right.

All RS6's came with a portable air compressor in the right side trunk cubby. Mine didn't come with one, but I picked a new OEM one up off ebay for $25.

[/URL][URL]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/audi-vw-TT-porsch-air-compressor-pump-8P0-012-615-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4157bb2365QQitemZ28064 4756325QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-tire-air-compressor-Elektrische-Luftpumpe-Q-5-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem43a60e1ff2QQitemZ29054 8752370QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries)

Majestic
March 24th, 2011, 20:28
Its sad but my car didnt come with the instruction manual, but their is some strange device in the right side of the trunk, I will have to investigate this device.

ben916
March 24th, 2011, 20:36
Its sad but my car didnt come with the instruction manual, but their is some strange device in the right side of the trunk, I will have to investigate this device.

Majestic
March 24th, 2011, 20:58
Ok, Ok, Majestic's EPIC Fail #663,156

So I went into the trunk again and looked into the right panel and behold the air compressor. I took it out and looked at the pictures and sure enough, plug it into the lighter and attach to deflated tire, then turn on. In a few minutes my tire was fully inflated and ready to go.

Thanks guys, I have no idea what I would do without you.

vitalian
March 24th, 2011, 21:02

And gals, of course. (*wink*)

Glad it worked!

Majestic
March 24th, 2011, 21:13
lol yes especially you, thanks for the heads up on that air compressor. I dont have to drive to the gas station to fill up air any more :P

ben916
March 24th, 2011, 21:44
Ok, Ok, Majestic's EPIC Fail #663,156

So I went into the trunk again and looked into the right panel and behold the air compressor. I took it out and looked at the pictures and sure enough, plug it into the lighter and attach to deflated tire, then turn on. In a few minutes my tire was fully inflated and ready to go.

Congrats Majestic!
See! We are all here to help!

Aronis
March 25th, 2011, 00:12
Majestic,

Go buy a Honda. You're embarrassing us.

Jk

Mike

ttboost
March 25th, 2011, 00:12
Yeah, I laughed too...sorry.....Muriatic acid is no joke. I have a jug of it that I used to use to melt aluminum off the steel liners of my turbo bike engines back in the day.....still have 3/4's of a gallon I have no idea what to do with...horrible stuff...

Majestic
March 25th, 2011, 05:50
lol sometimes i think i should have, I skipped the Honda and went straight to the RS6.

I need a trainer car to learn to do automotive care. Next on the list is to change the brakes because the dealer said they don't change brakes that aren't from audi and I just purchased EBC Reds.
I just saw a DIY on the forum, I will read that now.

Ok I just read it and my EBC Reds have this wire that comes out of it, what do I do with that?

SAF
March 25th, 2011, 06:34
My dealer put the reds on for me. The wire is for the brake wear sensor.

Aronis
March 25th, 2011, 11:16
Break wear sensor.

Pry tab out, rotate and release connector from bracket. Then unplug.

marklar182
March 25th, 2011, 12:12
http://www.yellowdogracing.com/audibrakes.htm

Gustaf
March 25th, 2011, 12:27
Or here: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21252-DIY-Replace-Front-Pads

ben916
March 25th, 2011, 16:55
http://www.yellowdogracing.com/audibrakes.htm

This ONE is the best one...
Assuming you are changing both pads and rotors at the same time.

Brav
March 25th, 2011, 18:49
LOL PAT!! thats somehow awesome. I commend you for taking the Weird Science approach to to it.

I can talk to DPE to see if they can get you replacement outers..

http://wonderchef.pridelands.org/MrWizard.jpg

V8weight
March 25th, 2011, 19:01
LOL PAT!! thats somehow awesome. I commend you for taking the Weird Science approach to to it.

I can talk to DPE to see if they can get you replacement outers..

Thanks for the offer Brav, I sourced new outer halves from Forgeline and they just arrived yesterday. For the price of the new halves, I couldn't have paid to have my originals stripped and polished, so overall the experiment didn't set me back. Now the centers have been dropped off for powder coating, and the inner halves have been dropped off for paint. It will be nice to have these all fixed up, It's disappointing how badly these things corroded in such a short time.

Majestic
March 26th, 2011, 04:30
I will be posting here and that other thread where we say how much we paid for upgrades, service, and repairs.
I bought the tires and brought them into dealer and to place each one was $35 for each tire. So $140 total for that.

I bought EBC reds and to do the front was $192.00
I was going to do it myself because the guy on the phone said they dont replace brakes unless they are audi brakes but the service representative said they can do it.
I thought front and rear for $192.00
Wrong, it was only for front or rear, so i picked front.
I will attempt the rear brakes myself.

I also got the brake fluid changed for $180

Yea I could have done the front and rear myself but after my experience with the flat I gave up on that and just going to attempt the rear first.

Thanks all for the support, tips, and not laughing too hard at me.

I will let you all know how the rear brake change goes. Why are most DIY tips and videos for front brakes lol.

Majestic

ben916
March 26th, 2011, 05:28
I will let you all know how the rear brake change goes. Why are most DIY tips and videos for front brakes lol.

Majestic

The rear brakes, with the correct tools, can be a 30 minute job.
Look at the yellow racing DIY for torque specs, etc.

Some peeps purchase the piston retraction tool, others rent it, others use channel locks to screw in the rear pistons.

I thought the fronts were easier...

JSRS6
March 26th, 2011, 07:06
The rear brakes, with the correct tools, can be a 30 minute job.
Look at the yellow racing DIY for torque specs, etc.

Some peeps purchase the piston retraction tool, others rent it, others use channel locks to screw in the rear pistons.

I thought the fronts were easier...

Too easy...