PDA

View Full Version : American Muscle vs. German Engineering

SAF
March 17th, 2011, 23:31
The drivers of a new Camero and a Pontiac G8 have been educated and had their minds opened. :bye:

vitalian
March 17th, 2011, 23:44
I test drove a V8 Mustang GT before I bought the beast. No contest.

Go Beastie Go!

hahnmgh63
March 18th, 2011, 00:08
Hell, I just spanked a Mustang GT in the Cayenne today so I know the RS6 will leave it in the dust. The Cayenne maybe 520bhp but it is also 5400lbs.

ttboost
March 18th, 2011, 00:22
I lumped up a new Mustang when I was still stock? Can't wait to hunt bigger prey...

JSRS6
March 18th, 2011, 00:52
Rousch 427(smoked) and a GT500(stayed even) when I was stock...

SAF
March 18th, 2011, 01:29
This is where the stealthy aspect is so much fun. I can just hear the "what the hell just smoked me??"

ben916
March 18th, 2011, 02:20
Rousch 427(smoked) and a GT500(stayed even) when I was stock...

Add rain = game over...

JSRS6
March 18th, 2011, 02:22
Add rain = game over...

Lol! Add meth, then dalhback and retune in June...later gator!

Jimmy
March 18th, 2011, 15:11
I had to settle to stay behind a friend's well modded Pontiac GTO (the newer Australian bodied one) on a hwy romp a week ago actually...but I wouldn't want one. 8-)

I did leave my brother-in-laws 1970 Chevelle SS in the dust...he has like zero traction.

I'd really like to square up against the new Cadillac CTS-V...but I wouldn't want one of those either.

Joker
March 18th, 2011, 15:20
American muscle cars (old term but suits them) have made huge improvements in recent years and the very latest is as good performance wise as anything coming out of Europe with similar output that is. I don't know how great their actual perceive quality is now because in the past when I had the opportunity to drive one I feel the build and material choice was so what lacking.

Look the part, sound the part and no doubt go the part, but I just wouldn't want to own one.

covertw12
March 18th, 2011, 16:42
So far the only contender in the American group for my car since modified has been the new 'vette...... that damn thing is fast ! I could keep pace once to 50 or so but he pulled hard on me off the line..... I ran from Orlando to Gainsville with him and he certainly had the edge on low speed acceleration but he couldn't shake the beast...

I recently played with both an SLS and a GTR.... both seemed to be about the same as the vette in initial acceleration, just quicker to 50 then the RS6, I was able to stick to them once rolling. The SLS gave me a double thumbs up at end of the off-ramp - it sure was sexy sounding as well..... and really pretty - merc finally got that car right, my grandfather had a silver 55' 300SL that my father had to sell for college.... he kicks himself daily....

Looking forward to driving the beast to Houston from S Florida Sunday/ Monday....... 1150 miles of grins ! hopefully I find some fun playmates along the way, none with blue lights tho' please !

Cheers

Elevens
March 18th, 2011, 17:44
I had to settle to stay behind a friend's well modded Pontiac GTO (the newer Australian bodied one) on a hwy romp a week ago actually...but I wouldn't want one. 8-)

I did leave my brother-in-laws 1970 Chevelle SS in the dust...he has like zero traction.

I'd really like to square up against the new Cadillac CTS-V...but I wouldn't want one of those either.

WHAT! Look at the Rear end of a GTO. You better get that thing Modded and Represent the 6 with honor.......................

SAF
March 18th, 2011, 19:11
Looking forward to driving the beast to Houston from S Florida Sunday/ Monday....... 1150 miles of grins ! hopefully I find some fun playmates along the way, none with blue lights tho' please !

I've done the Houston to Tampa loop a few times - not a bad drive once you get off 75. ;) I hate that road.

For a really fun break from the monotony of the highway, hit the rest stop at mile 162 (after FL Exit 166). It is a blast going in and even better heading back out to the west. Great up and downhill twisties through the woods! I did it last time at stupid speed and merged back onto 10 flying! If it had been easy to turn around, I'd have gone back and done it a few times. See below.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=30.630675,-84.8911&amp;spn=0.026255,0.038195&amp;z=15&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=30.630675,-84.8911&amp;spn=0.026255,0.038195&amp;z=15&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

2TURBOV8
March 18th, 2011, 20:40
I have taken my car down the track 12 times, 6 in 1/4, and 6 in 1/8, and have not lost yet. Victims include Supercharged GTO, Mustang Cobra, 2011 Mustang which can run 12.7 with the right driver, Camaro SS, and a lot of Japanese imports. It was pretty close vs the GTO and 2011 Mustang. About 2 car lengths vs the mustang in 1/4, and 1 1/2 vs the GTO in an 1/8. People in the crowds were amazed by the "Beast"!

vitalian
March 18th, 2011, 21:21
My husband I got a chance to drive a friend's fully restored race-modified '66 GTO recently. Love how that old American muscle sounds -- totally wicked loud! But driving it felt like trying to control a rodeo bull -- you're fighting with it for every shift or turn. Fun, though! Still, I'm confident the beast would kick its butt.

ben916
March 18th, 2011, 21:29
I had a Impala SS (one of them new fangled thang's) with blingity bling-blong wheels try to scubby on by from a stop light, I knew he was trying to escape when he hit a seam in the road, his tires peeped. It really wasn't worth the gas...
Soon to change my license plate to "Prey on u" (a non-religious meaning) or "5L33P3R"

vitalian
March 19th, 2011, 01:13
I had a Impala SS (one of them new fangled thang's) with blingity bling-blong wheels try to scubby on by from a stop light, I knew he was trying to escape when he hit a seam in the road, his tires peeped. It really wasn't worth the gas...
Soon to change my license plate to "Prey on u" (a non-religious meaning) or "5L33P3R"

Blingity bling-blong? Is that a brand name?

I vote for" SL33P3R."

ben916
March 19th, 2011, 01:26
Blingity bling-blong? Is that a brand name?

I vote for" SL33P3R."

Yep, it is my white-boy hip hop nerd Bieber brand.
My clothing line is mediocre at best but I specialize in 24" or larger rims and 9" or under rotors/drums specifically for cars that are blue book valued under $2k USD (depending on the NYSE for that day).

vitalian
March 19th, 2011, 01:40
Yep, it is my white-boy hip hop nerd Bieber brand.
My clothing line is mediocre at best but I specialize in 24" or larger rims and 9" or under rotors/drums specifically for cars that are blue book valued under $2k USD (depending on the NYSE for that day).

Okay, I totally LOL'd at that one!

But seriously, you could make some major coin with that- - the demand is huge!

2TURBOV8
March 19th, 2011, 03:56

Here is my current plate on mine!!

vitalian
March 19th, 2011, 04:25
Flippin' sweet!

skribe
March 19th, 2011, 12:38
WHAT! Look at the Rear end of a GTO. You better get that thing Modded and Represent the 6 with honor.......................

Yep. One of my favorite kills ever was a 6.0 gto with a loud exhaust. Young cocky dude with his bros in the car. It's a pretty quick car but not quick enough... The WTF look on his face was priceless as I was pulling on him.

Aronis
March 19th, 2011, 20:59
RS6 stock vs Corvette

Me: with three boys in the car
Him: with his girlfriend in the car

Conditions: Dry Roads, sunny day

He initiated reving at light

I hit it...

At next light two things:
WTF look from him, laughing of his girlfriend (at him I guess) and

The Taunting of my two youngest in the back seat in their car seats pointing and laughing at him.

Priceless.

(have to keep the RS6 running so my now 14 year old can drive it)

Mike

skribe
March 20th, 2011, 03:48
...and then just a couple hours ago, ran into a Charger srt-8... Pulled about ten lengths 0-120. Muah ha ha ha he seemed quite surprised.

SAF
March 20th, 2011, 04:53
Yeah, those Charger people seem to think they are invincible or something. I've schooled a bunch of those as well.

Driving should be an enjoyable experience every time you go out. ;)

2TURBOV8
March 20th, 2011, 19:11
Yeah, those srt-8's are not really much to speak of. I have rode in quite a few of them, and was not impressed!! Oh, and an srt-10 ram is an absolute joke!

Chung
March 21st, 2011, 02:41
I was driving around the other day and a CTS-V was pacing me looking at my car. At the stop light he rolled down his window and I thought oh great he wants to race.

He just says that he really likes my car and to take care of it. You know they are a car person if they recognize the RS6. My friends and family still say "huh?" when they ask which car I bought.

sheatisdale
March 21st, 2011, 14:26
Ok, I'm starting to think something is wrong with my RS6. I don't think I could take a corvette or many of the cars you are talking about with my Stock RS6.

JSRS6
March 21st, 2011, 14:48
Have you logged her? Dyno? Or is it just seat of pants feeling?

JSRS6
March 21st, 2011, 14:50
Where are you located?

sheatisdale
March 21st, 2011, 16:47
It's just seat of the pants. I have a vagcom and could do some logging - although I need a refresher on how and what to log...

sheatisdale
March 21st, 2011, 16:48
Oh, and I'm in Durham, NC.

JSRS6
March 21st, 2011, 17:29
oh, ok. Thats not TOOO far from me. You can update your location in your settings on here.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22171-How-to-log-with-Vagcom-Help!?highlight=log

skribe
March 22nd, 2011, 02:35
Ok, I'm starting to think something is wrong with my RS6. I don't think I could take a corvette or many of the cars you are talking about with my Stock RS6.

There are a million reasons an RS 6, especially at this age, would not be pulling as hard as it should -- N75 valve, boost leaks, slipping TC, random overboosting and the resultant ECU intervention and boost cutting, and any number of sensors that can go bad and trigger a soft limp mode where you don't trigger a CEL but are definitely not running full bore.

Vag-com scan for errors, log for requested vs. actual boost. If you're lazy, drive around with your windows down. If you can't hear your turbos spooling up after you put your foot in it, something is wrong.

Get it running right, and then get a tune. If the acceleration of a C5 RS 6 with a tune doesn't astonish you, especially between 3000 and 5000 rpms, something is wrong.

JSRS6
March 22nd, 2011, 03:07
Well put, Andrew. Am I remembering correctly that you put a hitch on the back of yours? You see the other thread?

skribe
March 22nd, 2011, 03:57
Thanks Josh. In the buying process I drove an RS 6 that was putting out zero boost and the owner seemed to have no idea something was wrong... It still feels sort of fast even when it's hurting.

Hells no on the hitch. I do tow, but with the f350 or the range rover. I would never put a hitch on the '6!

You see that kind of thing all the time in europe, but I'd rather buy a $1500 POS pickup. Or a much nicer one. :)

JSRS6
March 22nd, 2011, 03:59
Ok, who was it that put one on recently for his bikes? Was it maybe audirs4ever? There were a few pics in that thread.

ben916
March 22nd, 2011, 04:10
Ok, who was it that put one on recently for his bikes? Was it maybe audirs4ever? There were a few pics in that thread.

I don't remember but it was a major PITA because of the muff-muffs were in the way and the frame/subframe issues...
I remember Dave's reply was something to the effect of - my bike fits in the '6 with the rims off.

JSRS6
March 22nd, 2011, 04:12
Yeah, so does mine. I only have to remove the front rim.