PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Carbonman
March 17th, 2011, 19:18
Help! I need some useful input from other RS6 drivers on this forum. My beloved RS6 has lost her tranny! It started slipping after some extended rush hour driving and got pretty bad. Fine the next day, but had 2nd gear overspeed and overtemp warnings. My shop, Imola Motorsports in Minneapolis, says it's rebuild time. Ouch.

For the last 3.5 years this has been my daily driver. I'm at 95K miles and wondering what to do. I've already made the choice to not have this as a daily driver.

The car has been maintained religiously. I've got new brakes, rotors, timing belt service done at 82K with all the other normal goodies. The DRC failed LAST week so I've got PSS9s installed (which after a week of driving, I wondered why I didn't do that three years ago). Other than the repair and maintenance don't have costs to deal with. I love this car!

So here my conundrum:

1.) Do I repair the ZF and sell the car?
2.) Do I repair the ZF and keep the car and use it as a third set of wheels?
3.) Do I do a manual transmission conversion and keep the car (I wouldn't sell it if I did this)?
4.) Do I just walk away and sell the car as-is and what's it worth?
5.) Park it in a barn so Rush can make a cool song about it later?

It's one of those cars that makes you a little sick when you think about getting rid of it.

What would you guys do?

Carbonman

JSRS6
March 17th, 2011, 19:33
Either number 2 or 3. All the other options aren't options IMHO. If I had the problem right now, id repair the zf. If it happens after I get back from (insert u.s. occupied combat zone), I plan on doing the manual swap.

yokust
March 17th, 2011, 20:07
5 for sure

ben916
March 17th, 2011, 20:07
Is it driveable? If so, schedule work with Tozo for the Trans and TQ at the same time...

MaxRS6
March 17th, 2011, 22:32
5 for sure

LOL- +1

If not 5- then repair that thing and keep enjoying it for a long time with an engine that should have a lot of miles left in her...

vitalian
March 17th, 2011, 22:37
I agree with other posters -- repair (whether auto or manual conversion) and keep on enjoying the beastie!

Brav
March 17th, 2011, 23:43
I had a large bill ahead of me (all maintenance) and debated selling it. In the end I did all the work, and kept her. Still a daily for me (20 k miles a year.. ouch). but still nothing else out there to match the ulility, performance and style for the money. I would probably go for a manual trans swap, if its near the same cost as repairing AND upgrading your current trans and TC.

Elevens
March 18th, 2011, 00:28
Manual Tranny for sure, if its affordable. Otherwise repair and keep. If you sell you'll regret it, there's nothing like it. I'm warning you.......................

TozoM8
March 18th, 2011, 00:35
I had a large bill ahead of me (all maintenance) and debated selling it. In the end I did all the work, and kept her. Still a daily for me (20 k miles a year.. ouch). but still nothing else out there to match the ulility, performance and style for the money. I would probably go for a manual trans swap, if its near the same cost as repairing AND upgrading your current trans and TC.

The manual conversion costs at least twice as much as the auto rebuild.

JSRS6
March 18th, 2011, 00:56
I personally would compare cost of having someone rebuild the auto tranny, which I can't do, and converting to a manual, which I can. I know it's apples to oranges, but that's how my mind works.

mmaturo
March 19th, 2011, 05:23
Repair. I retired my RS6 from a daily driver last year for just this reason. I know i have a time bomb with the tranny. The one on the car has about 15K on it but i just have no faith in it. Still not sure what to do with my RS. Trade in is a waste, selling it seems too much of a pain. With 89K on it I'm not convinced i can sell it easily and since its just $20K more or probably less, whats the point. May as well keep it in the fleet as even in the future it will be the fastest still outside of R8 I'm hoping is next late this year.

ttboost
March 19th, 2011, 11:24
Fix or replace your tranny. While I think the manual conversion is cool and have done it to a few other cars in my life, not worth the aggravation on this car. If I wanted a V8, twin turbo, stick car, I would have looked for one, not that many exist. I bought this car BECAUSE it was an auto, while not a great one, an auto nonetheless.......again, if you love the car and intend to keep it, fix it. Good Luck with your decision.