PDA

View Full Version : Gauge Pod interest

Brav
March 16th, 2011, 17:20
I have been going over and over the idea of making a custom composite gauge pod for the RS6. Initially, I wanted one on the A-pillar, since it would be relatively simple to do, and I could recover it in the OEM fabric and make it look nice. I did this with my B5 S4 in the past.

Then I got to thinking.. what about a more "mature" center pod. Something more OEM looking, just above the center vents. My design idea would look something like what BMWs E92 3 series Navi dash looks like. Another dome to the right of the main instrument cluster. I think I have figured out a way to make something that could attach onto the middle of the dash above the center vents, and hook back to the defroster vent. It would have a dome/visor like that of the main cluster, and house 3 gauges. It would be done in carbon, or composite, and covered/painted to taste. Maybe carbon is a bad idea since it may clash.. but the idea was that it could be removed without any damage to the dash if desired, by hooking over the ledge just above the vents, and back into the defroster vent, contouring to the dash.

For me, I want to have a boost gauge, trans temp gauge, and some other auxiliary gauge such as those that can plug into the OBDII port and read out any figure you want. It would be nice to get a few people to buy one to offset the mold costs. I cant imagine it would cost that much.

Something similar to this, but maybe a single rounded top instead of triple.
http://www.zerosports.co.jp/shop/images/0930004_2.jpg

Some feedback on interest would be appreciated, may jump start my motivation :)

speedtrapped
March 16th, 2011, 18:18
Brav I like the idea....what about wire routing?, thru defrost vent?...frankly I think the 3 pod cluster is more useful....boost trans temp, oil psi? or A/F mixture..

Brav
March 16th, 2011, 18:25
Yea through defrost. If all digital, you can route just 1 wire along the glass/dash to the left, around A-pillar and down, worst case.

check this video.. PLX multi gauge. might run 1 or 2 of these and a boost gauge. is trans temp an OBD value?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP0Dn9EUjTc&feature=player_embedded

speedtrapped
March 16th, 2011, 18:27
i'm pretty sure it is, because u have to VAG it when u change trans fluid

speedtrapped
March 16th, 2011, 18:31
whoaa, i would never have my eyes on the road with that mnay gauges.....but I get ur idea...I would be interested if the price isn't extreme...I want to weld a bung into my DP to measure AFR values anyway

Brav
March 16th, 2011, 19:06
I would only put one of those multi gauges in.. the other 2 standard. then no need for VAG all the time.

SiLRS6
March 16th, 2011, 19:14
I'd like to see it. it sounds interesting.

JSRS6
March 16th, 2011, 19:37
then no need for VAG all the time.

Blasphemy!!!:hihi:

s42ski
March 17th, 2011, 20:30
Count me in - I really miss a boost gauge - having an transmission oil and coolant temperature would be nice as well

micdee
March 18th, 2011, 07:38
Why not make it even more fancier and install sumfin like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPEN993HmSo&NR=1

marklar182
March 18th, 2011, 17:05
I would kill for an EFU DIS system for the RS6. I think they are defunct now :cry:

I am not a big fan of extra gauges, I prefer to keep it clean and simple.

sheatisdale
March 21st, 2011, 14:46
I would like a screen like the nismo GTRs have, but alas...
It would be nice to have a boost gauge, air-to-fuel, exhaust gas temp. Maybe a few more...trans temp, oil temp, coolant temp, intake air temp before and after intercoolers...I can wish can't I?