PDA

View Full Version : Random question -- train horns

vitalian
March 16th, 2011, 15:58
Hi guys,

I live in a world of oblivious left-lane campers and bicyclists with attitude, and the RS6 horn is awfully wimpy IMO.

Do you guys think it's feasible to mount one of these bad boys in an RS6?

http://www.hornblasters.com/

There's a testimonial on the website from a guy with a Mercedes S-Class who mounted it between the front bumper and the radiator, but I'd be concerned about impeding proper air flow. Thoughts?

(BTW, if you want a good laugh -- at least if your sense of humor is as juvenile as mine -- check out the "Terror on the Streets" videos on the website. Hi-freakin-larious.)

JSRS6
March 16th, 2011, 16:03
Lol, a friend of mine has one in his mk1 cabriolet...effing loud!

ben916
March 16th, 2011, 16:04
I have been looking for something like this.

F-ing A!!!! How juvenile! I like that in a person!

vitalian
March 16th, 2011, 16:07
I have been looking for something like this.

F-ing A!!!! How juvenile! I like that in a person!

Good to know I'm not alone!

yokust
March 16th, 2011, 16:07
I have used the Hella Air Horn kit on many of my cars and love them. But honestly have no idea where you would be able to mount everything on these cars.

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Dual-Tone-Air-Horn/dp/B000E0DZA8

I have also put these kits on many Audis/VWs and they sound very good and would fit no problem in our cars

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Twin-Supertone-Horn-Kit/dp/B000GKEYAG

vitalian
March 16th, 2011, 16:10
Thanks yokust! Good tip!

JSRS6
March 16th, 2011, 16:14
I have also put these kits on many Audis/VWs and they sound very good and would fit no problem in our cars

Oh hell yeah!

MaxRS6
March 16th, 2011, 16:33
II have also put these kits on many Audis/VWs and they sound very good and would fit no problem in our cars

What perfect timing Vitalian! My horn has gone limpy....Other parts just fine in advance of the peanut gallery that are always cocked & loaded for flinging monkey poo

Thanks yokust- This looks like another purchase for the habit- and will be part of the next TB service since parts are coming via PatShop...

Edit: Amazon just made a sale to someone in the Arkansas area...00

ben916
March 16th, 2011, 16:35

I had these on my wife's 1994 Acura Integra and boy oh boy, nobody cuts you off when you have these suckers (118db!!!)
I am a fan of air horns as idjuts have their fart can and license plate rattling - the cool kids need all the help they can muster!

speedtrapped
March 17th, 2011, 01:35
Bought the hella's twin set, my horns are shot, and basically sounded like a pinched fart, not kid din...I need to scare some people out of the way....

ben916
March 17th, 2011, 02:27
Bought the hella's twin set, my horns are shot, and basically sounded like a pinched fart, not kid din...I need to scare some people out of the way....

You would have REALLY impressed me if you got the $1500 set...

speedtrapped
March 17th, 2011, 09:58
If I were short the mkt lately maybe, but I don't play on disasters.....eternal optimist. The hella's should be fine

Erik
March 17th, 2011, 10:20
Do it!!!

And report back... :D

DonS
March 17th, 2011, 12:24
As you north-westerns say... Just do it!

vitalian
March 17th, 2011, 13:58
I am also ordering the Hella twin set (thanks yokust). I'd love to get a Hornblasters kit, but I just don't think it would fit in the car.

Look out, left-lane campers, here we come!

SAF
March 17th, 2011, 20:39
Hi guys,
I live in a world of oblivious left-lane campers and bicyclists with attitude, and the RS6 horn is awfully wimpy IMO.

compressor......$650
5 gal. air storage tank in the trunk...$350
3 tone airhorn ........$300
additional wiring and tubing....$200

$1500 that could have gone to good cigars and Scotch.

Scaring the crap out of spastic, retarded hippy stoners, pious Prius owners or people with geriatric and/or Asian driving skills .........PRICELESS !

vitalian
March 17th, 2011, 22:23
compressor......$650
5 gal. air storage tank in the trunk...$350
3 tone airhorn ........$300
additional wiring and tubing....$200

$1500 that could have gone to good cigars and Scotch.

Scaring the crap out of spastic, retarded hippy stoners, pious Prius owners or people with geriatric and/or Asian driving skills .........PRICELESS !

Awesome. Just plain awesome.:jlol:

MaxRS6
May 3rd, 2011, 22:26
Update- I went by the shop today and they have the Hella Twin Supertone Horns installed. They sound great and I appreciate the recommendation. They are loud enough (certainly louder than OEM) without being obnoxious in my opinion. I look forward to using them on the next road idjuit...00

speedtrapped
May 4th, 2011, 02:27
I installed the hell a twins, not impressed, I must have relay out?

MaxRS6
May 4th, 2011, 02:51
It sounded loud enough for me. However; my OEM horn had gone wimpy for a while so anything would be an improvement. The tech seemed to like it and thought it was a good improvement. I only heard it once and it was inside their shop which also amplifies/echos sound. When I get it back, I'll give it some further testing on the idjuits that don't look before switching lanes, etc....:)

Aronis
May 4th, 2011, 15:30
just get a hand held air horn with can of air! Put your hand out the window and squeeze! Cheaper!

MaxRS6
May 4th, 2011, 16:25
^LOL- If I hold my hand out it will be to hold up a bird not a horn..

Went by the shop again today- the horns are plenty loud for this kid. The techs in the shop also think it is plenty loud as they have played with it during the install/testing.

ben916
May 4th, 2011, 19:19
I installed the hell a twins, not impressed, I must have relay out?

I remember a thread, believe it or not, that there was an issue with mounting aftermarket horns (or maybe it was OEM?? and possibly MMATURO or ARONIS) where the horn(s) had to be mounted Left to LEFT and Right to RIGHT otherwise it would sound like a wounded goose.
I don't remember if it was polarity or grounding contact or what...

speedtrapped
May 4th, 2011, 19:22
Ben, thats it...they sound crappy like my dead oem's, like geese.....so switching them should fix this?

ben916
May 4th, 2011, 19:27
If I remember correctly, yes but don't hold it against me...

Personally, I HATE the horn in the RS6, there isn't enough volume!!
Also the alarm horn/chirp is worse...

JSRS6
May 4th, 2011, 19:28
I remember a thread, believe it or not, that there was an issue with mounting aftermarket horns (or maybe it was OEM?? and possibly MMATURO or ARONIS) where the horn(s) had to be mounted Left to LEFT and Right to RIGHT otherwise it would sound like a wounded goose.
I don't remember if it was polarity or grounding contact or what...

i remember that. When the horn was connected, but not mounted, it sounded fine. When mounted, it sounded like crap. Didn't it have something to do with the car ground?

JSRS6
May 4th, 2011, 19:29
Also the alarm horn/chirp is worse...

Just code it out...

ben916
May 4th, 2011, 19:30
Just code it out...

I like to know that the alarm is set, not with a goose fart...

vitalian
May 4th, 2011, 19:30
Oh, do tell! My twin horn kit from Hella is still sitting in the box (it's currently number 447 on my list of things to do), so I'd love to hear how to do it right before I go for the install! I will be so disappointed if I can't scare the crap out of every bicyclist I see!

MaxRS6, could you ask your guy if there were any special issues with the install, since yours seem to be working?

JSRS6
May 4th, 2011, 19:32
I like to know that the alarm is set, not with a goose fart...

Theres an app for that...:lovl:

ben916
May 4th, 2011, 20:14
Oh, do tell! My twin horn kit from Hella is still sitting in the box (it's currently number 447 on my list of things to do), so I'd love to hear how to do it right before I go for the install! I will be so disappointed if I can't scare the crap out of every bicyclist I see!

MaxRS6, could you ask your guy if there were any special issues with the install, since yours seem to be working?

um, there is about an envelope's width of room to do this...
I think others waited until the front was in service mode to change things out...
Another 10 minute job that turns into a 3 hr fight...

MaxRS6
May 4th, 2011, 20:31
..I will be so disappointed if I can't scare the crap out of every bicyclist I see!

Next time I'm in the Arizona area, I'll let you know about the bike thing....

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/davebike5.jpg

As Ben stated, the tech did say it was a tight fit. I asked if it was difficult or gave him grief. He said it was just some standard electrical wiring that had to be done, and didn't give him any real problems and was about a hour job. It was an opportune time- The front end was already off as they were doing the TB service along with some other sundry items for the past 32 days...

gt2rs6
May 4th, 2011, 21:03
I did this last summer to my rs6 before using it on bullrun. remove rear bumper. remove rear bumper support. attach entire setup (tank,compressor.horns) to rear bumper. re install bumper and make everyone run !. honestly it was not a big deal you just have to lose the bumper support because there is no room anywhere else on this car.

ben916
May 4th, 2011, 21:52
I did this last summer to my rs6 before using it on bullrun. remove rear bumper. remove rear bumper support. attach entire setup (tank,compressor.horns) to rear bumper. re install bumper and make everyone run !. honestly it was not a big deal you just have to lose the bumper support because there is no room anywhere else on this car.

welcome!

Photos please and video of the sound :)

gt2rs6
May 4th, 2011, 22:52
Im at work and suck about vids. Try you tube and search 2010 bullrun rally start or 2010 bullrun nyc something like that and you will be able to see my car and hear the horns. Also un related there is a dyno vid of my car at epl that is easy to find on you tube - Mike

ben916
May 4th, 2011, 22:58
here @ 20 second = RS SICKS and painted the fastest color..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_uOEKM0J6o

Still searching for horn