PDA

View Full Version : C6 RS6 Avant Ceramic brakes Anthracite turned to greeny gold

sallyh
March 16th, 2011, 10:24
Hi all

I've got a C6 RS6 avant with the carbon ceramic brake option. Have taken it to the track many times with no issues. But recently got an ECU tune with some track tyres and turned the traction control off completely (as far as the manual says) and the front brake calipers turned from the proper grey (anthracite) colour to a ghastly greeny gold. Well, it certainly got faster, but it looks hideous. I have been told that it is an easy paint job fix.

Has any one out there experienced a similar issue? Is it truly just the paint discolouring because of the heat, or is there something structural going on with the caliper, possibly weakening it?

Any comments much appreciated.

ZCD2.7T
March 16th, 2011, 13:18
Hi all -
....Has any one out there experienced a similar issue? Is it truly just the paint discolouring because of the heat, or is there something structural going on with the caliper, possibly weakening it?

Any comments much appreciated.

I've seen this happen from time to time. A friend had a B5 S4 tuned to around 500 hp, and he'd equipped it with an impressive set of Stoptech front brakes. After a particularly spirited track session, the calipers turned from silver to what became known as "poopy brown". :-) Link to the story:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1593813&highlight=poopy+brown

They still functioned normally, but didn't look that good. He was going to paint them, but never did, and finally sold them when he sold the car - in all their "poopy brown" glory!

Yours is most likely a cosmetic issue.

BTW - whose tune did you get? Any specifics? I know that those things can make over 700 hp pretty easily... (!!!!!)

sallyh
March 17th, 2011, 10:24
Hi ZCD2.7T

Thanks for this - actually I thought your friend's calipers looked kind of good, more red than "poopy brown"! Went back to the tuner today and the best explaination we could come up with is that the front brake pads were a bit skinny to start with, hence the heat transfer and colour change from silver to greeny gold. Can't think of any other explaination except perhaps this track was a bit big on the corners and short on the straights so no time for the brakes to cool off? Anyway, need new front brake pads which are not cheap and are stuck with the gold calipers (which is indeed just a cosmetic issue) until they can be sent off to be re-idonised silver/antrachite.

You ask about the tune - he is an Australian ex-Porsche racer guy who has some contact in Germany who did it - sounds a bit vague - but it certainly works! Probably not quite 700 hp, but kind of close. I really love the RS6 but must admit that even more horsepower, a Milltek exhaust, track tyres, cannot overcome the weight and its distribution.

best wishes.

ZCD2.7T
March 17th, 2011, 20:11
Hi ZCD2.7T

Thanks for this - ....

....You ask about the tune - he is an Australian ex-Porsche racer guy who has some contact in Germany who did it - sounds a bit vague - but it certainly works! Probably not quite 700 hp, but kind of close. I really love the RS6 but must admit that even more horsepower, a Milltek exhaust, track tyres, cannot overcome the weight and its distribution.

best wishes.

Yes, unfortunately 2.2 tons is still 2.2 tons, no matter how much powah (sic) it has or what tires are involved. You're still very fortunate to own such a fine machine. The owner of our company would dearly like to buy one, but can't, here in the US! Boooo, Audi USA!

ben916
March 17th, 2011, 20:27
Sally, have you thought about a modification to your dust shield similiar to the VW Phaeton brake ducts?
I don't know the specs on the C6 RS6 ceramics (380mm X 39mm??) but the Phaeton front rotor is 360mm x 34mm (ETKA 7.1) and it fits on C5 RS6 with a little cutting and some paint...
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/11459-RS6-Brake-Cooling-Modifications-Details/page6?highlight=phaeton

C6 RS6 with 20" rims came with a 16.5" rotor?!?!?!?

sallyh
March 18th, 2011, 09:26
Hi

Oh my gosh Ben916, I think modifications are a slippery slope that I have somewhat fallen down! Thanks for the idea.

Thanks ZDD2.7T for your kind support - tell your boss it is truly a fantastic car but somewhat wasted unless one can drive it fast on an autobahn (I'm trying to compensate by driving it on the track but it would definitely be happier on the unlimited highway sigh, not exactly available anymore in Australia).