PDA

View Full Version : Control Arm and Tie Rod kit fitment

speedtrapped
March 15th, 2011, 19:15
ECS is running a special for C5 A6 kits, 12 piece, for $399.99....I was told by ECS it wont fit RS6, but another RS6 owner told me same control arms and tie rods....can anyone confirm before I buy...pls
TIA

ben916
March 15th, 2011, 19:17
I wondered the same thing also.

I saw that on AZ and was going politely ask PETE about that (he has A4 info on the C5 A6/S6/RS6 forum?!?!?! Duh!) but I figured someone else would bust him on it...

Brav
March 15th, 2011, 20:47
I think everything will work but the lower fronts. I got, what I am pretty sure is the same kit, from 034 Motorsport. Make sure you get the one for the aluminum uprights. I don't know what happened, I got a kit and I had to spend 160 more and get the correct lower front control arms (OEM Meyle HD).

yokust
March 15th, 2011, 21:45
No kit includes the right control arms for ANY aluminum upright car. Does not matter if its a B5 S4, C5 V8, or RS6. The front lowers have a different pitch on the ball joint for the aluminum uprights.

But all other arms are the same.

The control arm kits also do not come with the "S" or "RS" tie rods. The normal tie rods have a rubber insulator between the two sections of the tie rod end to give a softer and smoother feel in the steering wheel. The "S" tie rod ends are just a solid metal assembly, and give more road feedback and feel, but also do not have any extra added slop of the other ones

speedtrapped
March 15th, 2011, 22:04
Sooo, I can use the kit?

JSRS6
March 15th, 2011, 22:08
You can, you just need to get the pn for the front lower forward control arms. It is on the arm, or someone can chime in on it. So get the kit and get the other arms on genuine.

yokust
March 15th, 2011, 23:57
If you want my personal opinion

I would not use the kits on my personal cars, unless it is just a beater daily driver. Everytime I have used a kit, the stuff is just a bit cheaper quality then if you buy the Lemforder or OEM arms. The bushings seem to wear out faster, or the ball joints crap out sooner. Depends on which kit you buy, they have thier own weakness'

Brav
March 16th, 2011, 01:42
034 Motoring I think has one you can order with correct control arms, I *think.* Its the outer ball joints that are different on that part. They are too big to fit in the cups. I have a pic somewhere..

Since I ordered both the cheepie kit, and new front lowers, I could tell clearly there was a difference in the build quality and style, visually. Bushings are said to be OEM.. who knows. so far, so good.

speedtrapped
March 16th, 2011, 02:00
Ty guys...is there just a complete kit?

V8weight
March 16th, 2011, 02:02
Ty guys...is there just a complete kit?
I can make one......

DHall1
March 16th, 2011, 02:36
+1

Let Pat put a real kit together or buy OEM.

If you want my personal opinion

I would not use the kits on my personal cars, unless it is just a beater daily driver. Everytime I have used a kit, the stuff is just a bit cheaper quality then if you buy the Lemforder or OEM arms. The bushings seem to wear out faster, or the ball joints crap out sooner. Depends on which kit you buy, they have thier own weakness'

JSRS6
March 16th, 2011, 02:37
+2

Nothing better than NOT having to piece together a kit yourself...ehhh Pat? :hihi:

V8weight
March 16th, 2011, 02:43
I'll look into it tomorrow. I was briefly checking into it today , but got sidetracked. I know I can't beat ECS's prices on their kit, but I can however guarantee fitment and oem quality.

speedtrapped
March 16th, 2011, 02:51
Great lmk, Ty pat

DHall1
March 16th, 2011, 03:11
ECS sucks at some items.

Pricing is made up at times and totally false.

I'm not a fan of ECS lately.

speedtrapped
March 16th, 2011, 09:48
Dave spoke to Jerry, proud new papa...we talked about the spices for the special, gonna be tasty...

Elwood30
March 17th, 2011, 23:49
Hey Guys, I'm new to this forum but have owned a 2003 RS6 since 2005 and love it. I'm having a problem with the suspension and have had it in the local shops a couple of times to replace upper control arms and tie rods. This was due to some vibrations/cavitation in the steering wheel, which seems to happen when I turn the steering wheel to the right. Well, $2000 later and the problem wasn't fixed. I took it back in to the shop and they told me that I should replace the lower control arms and sway bar links and that "might" fix the issue. Not a great option when I'm going to shell out another $1,000+ to "maybe" fix an issue. Has anyone else had a similar issue and any recommendations? Also, would lower control arms and sway bar links make a good DIY project? Love the car but this issue is taking the fun out of the car.