PDA

View Full Version : Resale values

2manycars
September 30th, 2003, 02:12
I am sure a lot of people are wondering how the resale value will be for the RS6, and I have an answer. I am considering trading trading the RS6 in order to get a less expensive convertible. After speaking to several dealers, and them contacting wholsalers etc., it seems the car will bring around 70-71K for a very low mileage vehicle with most options (carbon, exhaust, rear airbags, summer package, XM ). I was dissapointed to say the least until I was reminded that most cars lose 20% as soon as they drive off of the lot. In this case it is a bit less painful at a bit over 18%.

I had hoped it would hold up better, but as I stated it is not quite as bad as some other high end cars.

I have to consider my options before finalizing a deal but, am sorley tempted to get the slower, less expensive, more luxurious CLK cab. launch edition.

I just thought inquirin gminds might want to know.

JAXRS6
September 30th, 2003, 02:37
Is that the price for wholesale (you trade it in & get that amount), or for selling to an individual, or is that what a dealer would get selling to an individual?

mike03rs6
September 30th, 2003, 03:10
i would be interested in your car if you decide to sell and i'm in nj.let me know. mike:ttaddict:

2manycars
September 30th, 2003, 03:40
The dealer is offering that cost, and at least states that he has a retail buyer for the car at 73K. Obviously there may be some additional profit in it that th edealer is not telling me. I did check the price myself with my local dealer and he was initially at 70-71 stating he had a firm buyer at 72K, but felt he might retail it himself and get more.

I am really not sure that what the used retail woul dbe (no one else seems to be either)

srosie
September 30th, 2003, 03:50
Why the RS6 in the first place? Changing ones mind is a o.k. You want a cab and not a sedan. However, you wonder about the costs associated with changing ones mind. Try 15-20% with this mileage.

Perhaps with a longer period of ownership the accelerated depreciation won't seem so cumbersome. Look on the bright side as you comment, "I had hoped it would hold up better, but as I stated it is not quite as bad as some other high end cars."

Just curious, but how is the Benz "more luxurious"?

2manycars
September 30th, 2003, 06:04
The Benz is weighted more towards luxury and less towards sport. Its peppy, but certainly not fast (6.0 vs. 4.6 or so). Lots more wood on the benz, a cushier ride. It feels plusher than the RS6, but again noi nearly as sporty. The MB has a softer ride, and a quieter ride (something I know most RS6 owners like (mine has the "extra loud" exhaust option wihich adds to that). The car is also a lot less money, which is good because even with the "loss" the MB is still almost 10K less.

I guess my other factor is a mental one. The fact that the RS6 is the older body style, and an 03. The CLK cab. is a first year car. This coupled with the RS6 often being mistaken for an A6, which I know for many is a plus, makes me want to switch.

I am going to look at the CLK again tomorrow, and do some serious comparisons. I suppose it comes down to a convertible vs. a coupe, and a sports car vs a touring car.

Don't get me wrong, I love the RS6, but afraid I never use the power (though it is nice to know it is there). At any rate the RS6 is a great car, is 4wd, and could be used in the winter with a set of snow tires-though I have VW Passat 4 motion for another year so I had not planned to put snows on the RS6.

After writing this I am more unsure than ever about the change, so I may hold off before deciding for sure.