PDA

View Full Version : Noobie here... 2003 RS6 vs S6 questions...

rixpix247
March 7th, 2011, 22:43
Hi All, great forum from what I have read so far, but I am having problems finding answers to some questions. Maybe it's just operator error, but here goes. I've been drooling over the S6 for years and since the 2003 S6 Avant is finally coming into my price range, I was curious about the differences between the SR6 and S6 drive train. Also did they ever make an SR6 Avant model in the USA? Obviously the engine is different (or is it just the added twin turbo?) but what about the drive train components? Are they upgraded too? I know the disk brakes and wheels/tires are, but what about the tranny? Drive shafts? CV joints? In a nut shell, couldn't one buy an S6 and stick a supercharger/turbo kit on it and approach the SR6 performance stats then add the other goodies that the RS6 has over time when the budget allowed it? Actually brakes would be my first choice, then supercharger/turbo.
Thanks in advance!
Rick
P.S. Gotta have the sleeper S6 Avant for family purposes. Achem... ;)

TozoM8
March 8th, 2011, 00:58
The RS6 has 90 more HP, sedan only, bigger brakes, same interior, same trans, bigger (and dual clutch) torque converter.
Steveken has an S6 avant with a 6 speed manual for sale.

JSRS6
March 8th, 2011, 01:12
The RS6 has 90 more HP, sedan only, bigger brakes, same interior, same trans, bigger (and dual clutch) torque converter.
Steveken has an S6 avant with a 6 speed manual for sale.

The following modifictions were made to the rs6 transmission:

Reinforced transfer gear and transmission housings.

Increased clutch pressure.

Brake "D" reinforced(one additional coated disc).

Reinforced spur gear drive splines(modified material).

So as Tozo said, it is the same transmission, but it was modified to handle the extra power. If you want an rs6 avant, buy stevekens s6, and buy speedtrapped's rs6 engine/transmission and transplant. You would even be very close to having a rs6 avant 6-speed. Almost...

speedtrapped
March 8th, 2011, 01:23
oh yeah, lest we forget...the RS6 has a Cosworth 4.2, the S6 is an Audi 4.2, great engine BUT not a cosworth.

JSRS6
March 8th, 2011, 01:39
And the rs6 was hand built....

rixpix247
March 8th, 2011, 02:11
I see, says the blind man who picked up the hammer and saw!

Dual Clutch TC... Very nice engineering idea to handle the BIG HP engine! Ooooo, Cosworth.... YES! MMmmmMmMmMmmm... ;)

Thanks guys! Nothing like asking peeps who have experience in the RS6 world!

An additional DUH question... I understand that the S6 auto is a 5 speed (correct?) but was there a 6 speed manual tranny offered in the RS6?

Okay, so for the clincher question... Will the RS6 auto tranny fit the (less $$$) 4.2 Audi 4.2 engine?

Thanks in advance x2!

speedtrapped
March 8th, 2011, 02:25
mnot sure but guess what, if u want u can buy current power plant, 73k miles on clock with tranny....buy ur self a high mileage avant cheap and take my beast RS6 engine and tranny, all for $6500.. complete, engine with turbos and tranny.....

JSRS6
March 8th, 2011, 02:32
I see, says the blind man who picked up the hammer and saw!

Dual Clutch TC... Very nice engineering idea to handle the BIG HP engine! Ooooo, Cosworth.... YES! MMmmmMmMmMmmm... ;)

Thanks guys! Nothing like asking peeps who have experience in the RS6 world!

An additional DUH question... I understand that the S6 auto is a 5 speed (correct?) but was there a 6 speed manual tranny offered in the RS6?

Okay, so for the clincher question... Will the RS6 auto tranny fit the (less $$$) 4.2 Audi 4.2 engine?

Thanks in advance x2!

I see where you are going, put our trans in the s6 so you can add a supercharger later. You'd be better off with speedtrapped's whole hog setup and transplant. And before you put it in(that's what she said) you could install an ACE converter.

rixpix247
March 8th, 2011, 02:43
Drooling....

More tomorrow guys... THX

marklar182
March 8th, 2011, 13:57
An S6 can definitely be converted to an RS6 Avant (anything can be done for the right time and money!)

The easiest way would be to source an RS6 that took a big hit to the rear, or A-pillars back, and swap everything in the front (front lock, suspension, engine, trans, wiring, ect.).

Transplanting just the engine and trans you will need to source MANY little bits and pieces to make it work.

JSRS6
March 8th, 2011, 14:27
Good point sir! It would be a LOT easier to simply but an rs6 front clip on a s6.