PDA

View Full Version : Autocar takes the Veyron Super Sport for a spin...

Ruergard
March 5th, 2011, 16:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phJnn8Jc9Uw&feature=player_embedded

:bow:

Erik
March 6th, 2011, 12:25
The acceleration is very impressive. Looks like a partly wet track as well. Respect!

Ruergard
March 6th, 2011, 12:38
Yes, only 6 degrees on the ground. They took it around the Autocar handling track and guess what... Quickest thing around there. :bow:

Z07
March 8th, 2011, 12:44
Yes, only 6 degrees on the ground. They took it around the Autocar handling track and guess what... Quickest thing around there. :bow:
Yep.

SS - 1:08.4
458 - 1:08.9

Sadly it will be short-lived as they'll likely be testing the McLaren A56-7W soon.;)

Ruergard
March 8th, 2011, 15:02
Yep.

SS - 1:08.4
458 - 1:08.9

Sadly it will be short-lived as they'll likely be testing the McLaren A56-7W soon.;)

Bla bla bla. ;)

RXBG
March 8th, 2011, 15:09
but any mclaren faster than the base model will be less comfortable in proportion to its improved performance. that is something the veyron will always have.

Erik
March 8th, 2011, 15:42

If the McLaren wins in acceleration also, that will be the day I'd be impressed ;)

Joker
March 8th, 2011, 16:46
If the McLaren wins in acceleration also, that will be the day I'd be impressed ;)

Well the MP4-12C won't be able to best the Veyron or Veyron SS in acceleration but they are currently working on the replacement for the F1 which I wouldn't bet against having a go at reclaiming the crown. ;)

Also McLaren are the only company in my opinion that equal the magnificent work the boys at Bugatti are doing, their attention to detail is right up there with Bugatti.

RXBG
March 8th, 2011, 20:13
remember though guys that mclaren is likely going to go the lightweight stripped out route to achieve power to weight. i doubt they are going to make a super luxury missile like the veyron.

Z07
March 8th, 2011, 20:19
Bla bla bla. ;)
No one can out-run or equal the power of megablast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgjNb-6EOYw

Ruergard
March 9th, 2011, 06:53
No one can out-run or equal the power of megablast.

:applause::applause::applause:

Dude. This song is from the year I was born. ;)

Z07
March 9th, 2011, 12:04
but any mclaren faster than the base model will be less comfortable in proportion to its improved performance. that is something the veyron will always have.
Suggest you get Evo Isuue 155 and read about how the active hydraulic suspensions works.;) The ride quality is described as freakishly good. What they've achieved is impossible with previous technology.

Joker
March 9th, 2011, 12:16
Suggest you get Evo Isuue 155 and read about how the active hydraulic suspensions works.;) The ride quality is described as freakishly good. What they've achieved is impossible with previous technology.

Quite right, Chris Harris talked at length about it in the video and so did Steve Sutcliffe (Autocar) when he tested it. In comfort mode the ride is meant to be exceptionally good, but when it's stiffened up for the track it's as stiff and as uncompromising as the rest but that's what you would expect anyway. This car is technically as good as what the Veyron was, only without the other-worldly acceleration beyond the 150mph and without it's incredible top speed.

Z07
March 9th, 2011, 20:44
Quite right, Chris Harris talked at length about it in the video and so did Steve Sutcliffe (Autocar) when he tested it. In comfort mode the ride is meant to be exceptionally good, but when it's stiffened up for the track it's as stiff and as uncompromising as the rest but that's what you would expect anyway. This car is technically as good as what the Veyron was, only without the other-worldly acceleration beyond the 150mph and without it's incredible top speed.
Little more to it than that. Even when set up to provide meximum stiffness against lateral roll the hydraulics still allow for huge wheel travel when they encounter longitudinal bumps. The suspension can detect the difference between cornering forces and bumps on a wheel-by-wheel basis. It's retardedly clever. There hasn't been anything like this before. It's not even allowed in most racing leagues.

RXBG
March 9th, 2011, 21:04

comfort is not isolated to the suspension itself. i am talking about the term in a general sense- sound dampening, driving position for regular driving, NoiseVibrationHarshness (NVH), and all that. note that i am not talking about luxury items like knurled wood or satin aluminium trim, or corinthian leather. just the comfort part of the equation. like i said, i sat in one for a while but did not drive it. no doubt this suspension is a gem. i can't wait to see a head to head. but i still maintain that the upper level MP4 iterations, though they may share the suspension, will undoubtedly have less creature comforts to make them lighter- unless mclaren has found some trick way to have their cake AND eat it too.

Joker
March 10th, 2011, 07:12
Little more to it than that. Even when set up to provide meximum stiffness against lateral roll the hydraulics still allow for huge wheel travel when they encounter longitudinal bumps. The suspension can detect the difference between cornering forces and bumps on a wheel-by-wheel basis. It's retardedly clever. There hasn't been anything like this before. It's not even allowed in most racing leagues.

Does any of you remember the active suspension Lotus developed all those years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fJ02OI86yY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I wonder just how close in concept the McLaren system is to that system all those years ago. A company so far ahead of it's time.

Z07
March 11th, 2011, 13:54
Does any of you remember the active suspension Lotus developed all those years ago.

SiD.

I think this may well be a step up.

Joker
March 11th, 2011, 18:57
A step up yes but the theory behind the two might be closer than you think. Either way the MP4-12C is a step up from all other performance cars.

Z07
March 12th, 2011, 10:50
It was quite advanced:

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EOtherstuff/sid2.html

It'll be interesting to see if Lotus do something similar with the Esprit.

Anyway, thread hi-jack over.