PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone experienced any issues with the clutch on the S4 V8's?

s4pat
September 30th, 2003, 02:13
There have been 2 fail on the Audiworld.com B6S4 forums so far.
About 10 of us have them so far on there. Mine is ok so far, but I only have ~100 miles! The other two failed in less that 300 miles.

Sorry, I did not search the forums for that answer.

Ra5a
September 30th, 2003, 02:27
if the clutch brakes at 300 miles with a brand new car there are 3 possibillities:
1. bad driving (driver doesnt know how to use a clutch :P
2. problem with audi..
3. trashin' the car without properly breaking it in.

i would go with #3

s4pat
September 30th, 2003, 02:59
One wonders what the problem is.

I am going to baby mine and break it in properly. I have driven a stick shift for 14 years over 5 different cars. I hope I dont have any problems. I think this is the best feeling clutch I have ever driven.

s4-2004
September 30th, 2003, 03:20
My car hasn't been fully disassembled yet, but 2 other people that I know of, and a possible 3rd in the US are having a "pinching" out problem with their tranny's due to the clutch issues. I have heard that a few people in Europe have had some issues with there clutches, needing replacement in about 6-8 cases. I would assume that most of these people didn't abuse their vehicles so i am wondering if there might be a machining defect, or maybe that the clutch assembly was an inefficient design in Audi's engineering team?

Erik
September 30th, 2003, 09:48
I saw an Audi S4 sedan getting the clutch smoked, the video is on our ftp.

But that was through ABUSE. Many people driving very hard and abusing it.

Nordschleife
September 30th, 2003, 12:05
apart from the cheaper interior of the new S4, look at it carefully, shoddy instruments, less information, all but useless door pockets and cheap, cheap seats compared to the Recaros fitted to the RS4, for example. The brakes and clutch stink!
Audi staffers know full well how underspecified the brakes and clutch are on the S4. Will Audi do anything, who knows! Will the tuners do anything, you bet!

R+C

Fab5
September 30th, 2003, 16:26
First of all i have no clutch problems iīve driven now 7000 km on it.

@Nordschleife what are you talkin about? The materials are the same like in the S4/RS4 B5.The seats have the same quality than in the RS.I had the same seats in my S6 and there is no difference between S4/S6.The brakes in the S4 are "O.K" not good as Porsche brakes,but they are a lot better than the S4,S6,S8 stock brakes.

Fab5

Nordschleife
September 30th, 2003, 19:35
Fab
The seats in the new S4 are NOT the same as the Recaros fitted in the previous model S4, RS4 or S6. These seats are cheaper and lighter and offer poor support.
As for the brakes and clutch, the S4 Driving Experience courses have to be especially tailored to ensure that the pads last two days and that the organisers have sufficient spare cars to allow for clutch failures.
I certainly experienced more brake fade and witnessed more smoking pads on the S4 than I did on other similar recent Audi track days and felt and smelt some stressed clutches.
To be honest, I can't think of a reason to buy the new S4; I have extensive experience of Audi's current range and feel the car is lacking in sporting characteristics.

R+C

Fab5
September 30th, 2003, 20:04
Yes,i know that the seats arenīt the same,but what i mean was that there is no difference between the quality of the new S4 seat and the old one. I think the older one looks better but thats all,for me.

For me the s4 is no track car,if i want to go to the track i go for an M3 or an Porsche.The s4 is a little bit to heavy for these activities.I use the car only for buisness things and for that itīs a good and comfortable car.

If i want fun i took my Porsche.

bye,

Fab5

Erik
October 1st, 2003, 18:28
The new S4 is actually a lot faster than the old one.

The new one does 0 - 200 km/h in about 20 seconds, the old 2.7T in about 25+ seconds.

Could Audi have made it more aggressive? Certainly, but apparently many customers like it for what it is. It is not an M3 but
will still give it a serious match in the start-off or once the road conditions get a little wet.

steve
October 1st, 2003, 18:38
Yes M3 is more a trackcar.... but the S4 is also pretty capable of trackdriving eh?

And the S4 is faster around the track...

Nordschleife
October 1st, 2003, 18:57
Originally posted by steve
Yes M3 is more a trackcar.... but the S4 is also pretty capable of trackdriving eh?

And the S4 is faster around the track...

Steve
The S4 is a poor track car, its heavy, the brakes do not stand up to track use and the clutch is a weak link.
Even if you upgrade the clutch and brakes, you still have a heavy car which needs the suspension upgraded.
After fixing the suspension, fitting additional oil coolers for the gearbox, putting in proper seats and a roll cage, its still too heavy.
Well now you have to fit a supercharger and whilst you are quick down the straights, you are still driving a front engined car that is heavy.
By this stage you have spent a serious bundle of money and actually reduced the resale value compared to a stock car.
you would have been better off buying a GT3 RS, if you want to drive it on the track or a GT3 Cup if you are prepared to use your stock S4 to tow it to the track. Of course, you could save yourself a bundle and go out and buy an Evo VIII!
The S4 is a great touring car, one of the best, but a track car it ain't!

R+C

McBurn4ever
October 1st, 2003, 22:55
Strange...Jeremy Clarkson's test in TopGear tell us otherwise.. :race:

Erik
October 1st, 2003, 23:44
Seriously. Does anyone think that the S4 is a better track car than the M3 in general? It might win a few laps here and there, it's not bad, but the M3 is so much better for the job.
Sorry that is the truth.

Both cars are great, just different.

M3 1560 kg
S4 ~1850 kg

Fab5
October 2nd, 2003, 00:23
Yes,thatīs what iīve said.Iīve no problem with it, to say that the M3 is a better track car than the S4.

I like the S4 for what im using it a comfortable fast daily driver.

PS:

M3:1570kg
S4limo:1660kg
S4Avant:1720kg

Fab5

Bauer
October 2nd, 2003, 01:43
Nordschleife,

Are you a tuner?

As for the S4, I have not had the opportunity to drive it yet but look forward to it.

Nordschleife
October 3rd, 2003, 15:57
Bauer
No I'm not a tuner, but I do commission tuners to carryout special one off work, so I get to know the bad side as well as the good side of modifying cars. As I also conmmission race cars, I do get to consider all sorts of possibilities.
My opinion of the new S4 on the track is based on spending a couple of days driving one around a major circuit and comparing it to other Audi models and competitive cars in the same segment.
A quick poll of those who actually have to sell the S4 shows that there is a high yawn factor about the car, this does not pressage well for track day experiences.
Now if I was going to drive from Ingolstadt to Sicily, I'd take an S4, but then the RS6 would have more space..... perhaps I should chuck the skis in the back and go up the mountains...... or is it for dropping the rug-rats at school and then doing the shopping and a round of golf????? It must be something along these lines, its a "Lifestyle car", after all!

R+C