PDA

View Full Version : Motor mount question

SAF
March 5th, 2011, 00:15
I am going to order the Sterns streets (thanks for the tip), but how likely is the front mount in need of replacement? Is there an option to OEM for that? Is there a fault code associated with it wearing like the two sides? I'm going to plug it in to VC this weekend.

What is involved in the replacement process (ie lifting or jack supporting engine) that might discourage me from trying to do it on a Sunday in the garage?

speedtrapped
March 5th, 2011, 00:41
Hmm, mine was replaced when I first serviced her, 71k on clock, assuming u mean snub mount. It was cracked. Pat or someone will have to chime in, my mechanic swapped mine.

SAF
March 5th, 2011, 02:19
My engine was in and out a couple of years back, but I don't believe any of the mounts were replaced (or appeared to need it). Someone told me they thought it would be quite involved to swap them out, but terrytcl said "very easy to do yourself...took all of 2 hours... while taking plenty of breaks" so I need to confirm. ;)

marklar182
March 5th, 2011, 03:48
The snub is a static mount (as opposed to active like the L&R), so no faults for it.

Chung
March 5th, 2011, 17:02
Is the snub mount the mount near the back of the engine bay on the passenger side (i assume there is one on each side)?

My mechanic just told me I have a mount like thing that is broken and needs to be replace. Plus I guess the engine was resting on a hose back there (seems crazy) which has a pin hole leak that needs to be replaced.

JSRS6
March 5th, 2011, 17:06
Snub mount is on the front. Lower passenger side. Goes into the radiator support.

SAF
March 5th, 2011, 17:25
http://etka.auto2.ru/epc/etka/B262/199600.png

#3 and #6 are the "hydro-mounts" and #14 is the "rubber mounting" or snub.

Chung
March 5th, 2011, 18:22
Thanks. That sounds like the one (I have the part number in the office so I will double check). To answer the original question, my car has 118000 miles on it and needed the snub mount to be replaced.

ben916
March 5th, 2011, 19:14
Snub mount is on the front. Lower passenger side. Goes into the radiator support.

http://etka.auto2.ru/epc/etka/B262/199600.png

#3 and #6 are the "hydro-mounts" and #14 is the "rubber mounting" or snub.

#3 and #6, these are replaceable with OEM or Sterns but not the RS6 flavor of the 034 (didn't someone use an S4 MM from 034???)
Also is there an upgrade for the snub (#14) or just OEM?

EDIT: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22300-Pictures-of-motor-out-of-the-car?p=209252&viewfull=1#post209252 is the SNUB in these photos? The MM's are

marklar182
March 5th, 2011, 21:10
Only OEM for the snub.

Snub is shown in the lower left of the first picture.

SAF
March 5th, 2011, 21:11
is the SNUB in these photos? The MM's are

Yes, in the first and third pic to the left of the belt.

terrytcl
March 7th, 2011, 17:18
replaced my mm's with sterns... the snub mount looked fine.

can be easily changed at your next timing belt job...

SAF
March 7th, 2011, 19:17
replaced my mm's with sterns... the snub mount looked fine.

can be easily changed at your next timing belt job...

Oh so you were messing with me about the 2 hour DIY. My next timing belt change is way down the road.

V8weight
March 7th, 2011, 19:23
Oh so you were messing with me about the 2 hour DIY. My next timing belt change is way down the road.
The main left and right motor mounts are an easy swap, I think that's what Terry was referring to in regards to 2 hours. Replacing the snub mount however does require putting the lock support into service position.

terrytcl
March 7th, 2011, 20:31
2 hours definitely for the mm's. snub mount is easily reached during timing belt job.

it's a little bit of a pain in the ass to reach the top nuts. you'll have to make sure you have a short 1/4" rachet with a 13mm socket for the driver side.
for the passenger side, it's easiest to have a hinged ratcheting box wrench. no way you'll be able to fit a rachet in there due to space restrictions. tried a swivel joint, but still couldn't get it in there.

SAF
March 7th, 2011, 20:41
That sounds reasonable! Thanks for the clarifications.

terrytcl
March 7th, 2011, 22:01
how are you planning on getting the stock mounts out? jacking the engine up? or dropping the subframe?