PDA

View Full Version : Penelope's back in the pits

vitalian
March 4th, 2011, 04:29
Well, guess what. Got my beast back from Barrier Audi in Bellevue, WA yesterday after having a new starter installed, and now the car is running like crap. Symptoms: Sluggish acceleration (especially at low RPMs or from a dead stop), lack of smooth revving, intermittent rough idle, and general lack of responsiveness. It feels like the turbos aren't boosting, and then with added pressure on the gas, I'm getting intermittent delayed sudden acceleration. To top it off, the engine warning light came on when I was driving home. Back to Barrier I go, to see if they can fix what they f'd up.

Any ideas on what they could have done to the car? They had to drop the engine in order to replace the starter, so I suspect it could be a whole bunch of things. Thanks in advance for your help.

MaxRS6
March 4th, 2011, 11:19
Dang- Bummer to hear that! I had a constant "rough" idle when my cam sensor went out. I feel your pain and it is a bummer going through the process. I envy the skilled persons on this board that can do all their own work!

Wow- I just received a quote for my starter as I have asked them to replace it during my next upcoming 35K mile service. He has only added 1.5 additional labor hours for the starter on top of the normal 35K mile service. Hmmm- he thinks he can do it w/out pulling the motor as I have asked him several times over the past year- He could certainly be wrong.

Fortunately- Warranty is your friend and take full advantage while it is in force...

Gustaf
March 4th, 2011, 14:40
Dropping the engine to change the starter does not sound right but then again I haven't had to change mine.

Depending on what they had to take apart to allow the engine to drop, they could have hooked things back up incorrectly. Didn't speedtrapped have some wires that got crossed by his indy on a recent repair and caused some bad running conditions?

vitalian
March 4th, 2011, 15:06
Per Ben, dropping the engine to replace the starter isn't totally crazy because the starter is in a very tight spot. However, it certainly increases the chances that something will get screwed up in the process, which obviously it did.

MaxRS6
March 4th, 2011, 15:18
+1- Odds are something didn't go back together correctly...Good luck on a speedy resolution so you can harass the streets!

speedtrapped
March 4th, 2011, 15:21
how the F did barrier NOT test drive after completeion of work?

vitalian
March 4th, 2011, 15:25
Speed, they claim they DID test drive it.

MaxRS6
March 4th, 2011, 15:26
I have "and can hear" their reply- "We took it out and everything seemed normal"...Uuuuhh huhhh

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_D8VwTKAphks/So9e9NkFAPI/AAAAAAAALVk/fDLr7xKQrAc/s800/funny-pictures-pony-mechanic.jpg

Edit- LOL- I was in the midst of posting this b4 seeing the above response....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4s5pmFL_ZlQ/S9YL5HTNzGI/AAAAAAAADuI/7eutc9IKSf8/s1600/carnac+the+magnificent+johnny+carson+amazing+kresk in+www.motivationalpostersonline.blogspot.com+moti vational+posters+inspiratiponal++hot+funny+comedy+ comedian+blog+classic+bloggers+tv+(9).jpg

vitalian
March 4th, 2011, 15:51
Max, thanks for the laugh! I needed that!

"Also, your mechanic is a pony." Classic!

twinsteve
March 4th, 2011, 15:55
Max, thanks for the laugh! I needed that!

"Also, your mechanic is a pony." Classic!

Hang in there....within 2 months of getting my RS6, the torque converter and EGT sensors went....was in shop for 3 weeks....knock on wood, but smooth sailing since

MaxRS6
March 4th, 2011, 15:56
Wellll- My car has had plenty of "shop" time. I like to think of it as extending life to the back end as I chew up miles in a loaner car. I estimate I have put at least 12-15K of miles on their loaner cars. However; that is the silver lining and is a bummer without the rightful car in the cave awaiting a ride.

Elevens
March 4th, 2011, 16:02
Oh Man! What the hells going on? You must be really getting discouraged now. If It makes you feel any better My engine is completely out now getting the Torque Converter done. It just so happens the mechanic mentioned the Starter is in a ridiculously tight spot which would mean dropping the engine in order to replace it. The car was not designed with Maintenance in mind. They shoehorned this Monster of an engine into the bay. I took a bad blurry Iphone photo of the engine while it was out. You can see the starter hanging at the bottom of the engine. Any way hope you get it sorted out soon ( for the last time I hope).........................................

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/IMG_0115.jpg

vitalian
March 4th, 2011, 16:16
Dang that photo explains a lot. Thanks for the verification from your mechanic that dropping the engine for starter replacement is a valid procedure.

V8weight
March 4th, 2011, 16:34
Probably something simple. Air cleaner may not be properly seated, good luck! Hope they find a resolution before the weekend.

vitalian
March 4th, 2011, 16:42
Pat, thanks for the encouragement. That means a lot coming from you!

speedtrapped
March 4th, 2011, 16:46
x2 Pat....when I had MAF and O2 issues, after everything changed, my mechanic had no issues drove it for 10 miles. I go to p/u and crap starts, or rough idle....turned out airbox wasnt properly seated due to a homemade vac line install for a turbo boost gauge, hanging up box enought hat MAF's didnt seal right

ben916
March 4th, 2011, 16:57
Probably something simple. Air cleaner may not be properly seated, good luck! Hope they find a resolution before the weekend.

That is what I initially thought, that the filter assembly was not seated properly...

vitalian
March 4th, 2011, 17:11
Update: Well, I have to give Barrier Audi credit for customer service if nothing else. The guy who sold me the car is driving to my house with a red A5 that he took out of inventory for me to use as a loan car, and he's picking up the RS6 to drive it back to Barrier to get it back to the service department. (I left the car at home this morning and took the bus to work b/c the hubby didn't want me to drive the ailing beast). I'm very pleased about this because, aside from the obvious reasons (i.e., bending over backwards to help me), the sales guy had driven the beast himself before it had any problems, and he will be able to recognize the symptoms while he's driving it and be able to describe them in detail to the service people.

Fingers crossed -- and looking forward to trying out the A5 in the meantime.

Here's the "loan car":
http://www.barrieraudi.com/bellevue-used-cars-seattle/detail/2009-Audi-A5-3.2-Quattro/547/WAUDK78T09A044281/~/VehicleTypeID_~Price1_~Make_~Model_/25

Pretty sweet little buggy, eh?

Ben and Pat -- I specifically mentioned the air filter assembly to the sales guy as a possibility, and he's going to relay that info. Thanks for that.

ben916
March 4th, 2011, 17:22
Have them change the sparkies, coilpacks, fuel filter, MAFs, at their cost for your trouble.... :)

vitalian
March 4th, 2011, 17:31
And maybe free gas for life? Okay, that might be pushing it....

ttboost
March 4th, 2011, 17:49
Oh Man! What the hells going on? You must be really getting discouraged now. If It makes you feel any better My engine is completely out now getting the Torque Converter done. It just so happens the mechanic mentioned the Starter is in a ridiculously tight spot which would mean dropping the engine in order to replace it. The car was not designed with Maintenance in mind. They shoehorned this Monster of an engine into the bay. I took a bad blurry Iphone photo of the engine while it was out. You can see the starter hanging at the bottom of the engine. Any way hope you get it sorted out soon ( for the last time I hope).........................................

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/IMG_0115.jpg

Mine will soon look like this...

Brav
March 4th, 2011, 20:09
My guess is small un-metered air/vac leak, or loose/bad spark somewhere. Something simple and easy..

vitalian
March 4th, 2011, 20:26
Brav, I hope you're right (although the words "simple" and "easy" seem to describe almost nothing about an RS6)!

Brav
March 4th, 2011, 20:33
Most of the time you're right.. I guess I have been fortunate so far. I have had a lot of expense recently, but it has all been scheduled maintenance. Just PS pump, but 130k miles and low fluid level (my fault) and -6 Deg temps.. was warranted.

vitalian
March 4th, 2011, 23:19
Update: Ben and Pat, winner winner chicken dinner!!! Air cleaner assembly was seated incorrectly! They fixed it, and the sales guy is driving it back to my house as I type this! (And I didn't even get a chance to take that shiny red A5 for a spin. Oh well, I'll take a fully-functioning beast over an A5 any old day.)

Thanks for being my long-distance mechanics and mental health therapists, guys! Hopefully Penelope will finally be able to stay out of the pits for a while...

SAF
March 4th, 2011, 23:51
On the road again
I just can't wait to get on the road again...

http://photos.commongate.com/11/44914_jzvnc0w4bz_m.jpg

MaxRS6
March 4th, 2011, 23:55
^^LOL^^

Congrats and enjoy the weekend! These guys are good- aint they???

vitalian
March 5th, 2011, 00:13
SAF, that's priceless!!! (Were you camping outside my house waiting to catch me on "candid camera" with the rest of the paparazzi?) LOL!!!

SAF
March 5th, 2011, 00:18
Beware of stalkers with that hot car!

Elevens
March 5th, 2011, 00:32
Mine will soon look like this...

Hey ttboost are you going in for a Torque Converter also? Hopefully its under Warranty if you are. My Mechanic was able to convince the Warranty company to cover a new Valve body also, because this apparently this is a cause of many Transmission problems also. So look into that if you can. He also mentioned that the Valve cover gaskets were slightly leaking and they agreed to cover that also. And while there he showed me how the Timing Belt was flapping around. The Dampener(tensioner) which puts tension on the Belt was stuck in a compressed condition and thus no tension on the Belt. This could have been Catastrophic. So while that engine is out have them check it out thoroughly.

PALETTE
March 5th, 2011, 14:58
Holy cows girl you have had the Worst luck the past few weeks! I hope you really get to enjoy the car soon. Glad the dealer came through for you.

vitalian
March 5th, 2011, 17:28
The beast is running like a rocket again! Hopefully this run of bad luck is in the rear view mirror!

MaxRS6
March 5th, 2011, 17:57
^ I saaaaayyyyyy rip the rear view and.....

file://<IFRAME title="YouTube video player" height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t-ne_H5HL88" frameBorder=0 width=480 allowfullscreen></IFRAME> (file://<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t-ne_H5HL88" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

SAF
March 5th, 2011, 18:24
Holy cows girl you have had the Worst luck the past few weeks!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H8GNKY8DL._SX320_SY240_.jpg

A thing of the past!

vitalian
March 5th, 2011, 18:43
You guys are too much!

hahnmgh63
March 5th, 2011, 22:33
Somebody's got way too much time on their hands :)

Brav
March 6th, 2011, 18:09
LOL..

Glad to hear that I/we were right. :) Glad they took care of you and it was an easy fix! Now tell that beast to behave..