PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Phatnoise installed?

ben916
March 2nd, 2011, 23:04
Speedtrapped? I seem to remember that Greg had it and possibly left it there or sold it?!????

For those that don't know or want it (if you can still find it..)
http://www.phatnoise.com/audi/downloads/08-25-03%20A6_S6%20Phatnoise.pdf

hahnmgh63
March 3rd, 2011, 01:25
I installed one in my '01 tt and love it. Removed the factory CD player to install it. Why have the CD player with 6 discs when I can have the Phatnoise with 50+ CD's installed. I don't think Phatnoise has any software for them on their website so you will still need the CD or I can burn a copy of mine.

speedtrapped
March 3rd, 2011, 02:22
Ben u sure I have duck wing ducks????? factory crap symphony in my beast that I removed for an aftermkt dbl din system for the sirius and the nav....

TozoM8
March 3rd, 2011, 02:35
The phatnoise works with all the radios from 98' Concert, Symphony I, Symphony II, RNS-E.

ben916
March 3rd, 2011, 04:21
Ben u sure I have duck wing ducks????? factory crap symphony in my beast that I removed for an aftermkt dbl din system for the sirius and the nav....

YES!
It would be in the trunk on the left side, possibly in the area where the Nav disc unit is/was...

DonS
March 3rd, 2011, 20:36
Any hints? I might grab one of these on eBay as they sell for only around $80.

ben916
March 3rd, 2011, 21:43
Any hints? I might grab one of these on eBay as they sell for only around $80.

I think the only real issue might be the CD Changer cable from the head unit to the rear left corner of the trunk, meaning if it doesn't already exist...

JSRS6
March 3rd, 2011, 22:11
Yes, if you don't have a cd changer(us) then you have to splice into the plug at the rear of the head unit and run it back there.

DonS
March 3rd, 2011, 22:56
I've got a 8 pin (2 rows of 4), 8 pin (one row) and two fiber optic connectors dangling in the trunk. From the photos I've seen the 8 pin (2x4) is the CD changer cable....right?

ben916
March 3rd, 2011, 23:01
I've got a 8 pin (2 rows of 4), 8 pin (one row) and two fiber optic connectors dangling in the trunk. From the photos I've seen the 8 pin (2x4) is the CD changer cable....right?

Check on page 5 of the document (page of the PDF) step #4 (part number 000 051 592A)

DonS
March 3rd, 2011, 23:13
Thanks! I need to be looking for the round 8-pin connector...

marklar182
March 3rd, 2011, 23:23

Those are the SAT radio cables

Thanks! I need to be looking for the round 8-pin connector...

Unless you have a changer already installed you probably wont find it. You will need 4B0 051 735B (http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/4B0_051_735B/) and 000051592A (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-FWD-V6_2.8L/Search/Phatnoise/ES4485/) if the Phatnoise comes with a different interface cable.

hahnmgh63
March 4th, 2011, 01:31
I thought all RS6's were pre-wired for Sat & CD Changer? At least in N.America. For the tt it plugged directly into the Phatnoise, it did come with an adapter cable for VW cars but for my tt it was a direct plug in so I would imagine it would be the same for the RS6.

JSRS6
March 4th, 2011, 01:35
You might be able to get an adapter for the sat cable to phatnoise...as they are both 8 pin.

ben916
March 4th, 2011, 03:29
I thought all RS6's were pre-wired for Sat & CD Changer? At least in N.America. For the tt it plugged directly into the Phatnoise, it did come with an adapter cable for VW cars but for my tt it was a direct plug in so I would imagine it would be the same for the RS6.

I was under that impression also...
I checked mine tonight, not in the tool area, maybe tucked up more forward...

hahnmgh63
March 4th, 2011, 03:36
I just checked out my left rear compartment tonight and couldn't find any plugs so as Ben said, unless their hidden up forward I guess their not all wired for the changer like they are for the SAT unit.

marklar182
March 4th, 2011, 03:41
NO changer cable in mine either.

ben916
June 1st, 2011, 04:27
Ok I got the Phatnoise Music Manager installed, plugged in the docking station/cradle and presto! Dude left me with 80 albums already on the 20G disk. So it is 1/2 full..
Ordered the ECS mounting kit, ECS 15' extension and colored plugs, and the 4 keys needed to remove the radio.

QUESTION:
Do I need to disconnect the power from the Symphony II to splice in the "CD" changer???
IF so, how do I recover the radio security code?

hahnmgh63
June 1st, 2011, 05:05
The CD changer should be in the Symphony radio manual, a 4 digit code. If I'm stating the obvious and you don't have the booklet, I think you need to get if from the dealer which will need the radio's serial number if I'm not mistaken. Call your local dealer to find out for sure.

Carbonman
June 1st, 2011, 05:05
I've had a Phatbox since 2001 in my allroad and now my RS6 for the last four years. Love it. Not fancy like a true iPod interface, but pretty darn good considering the easy integration. I had to run a cable to the rear, but it was just a standard disc changer cable and probably took all of an hour to get it done. No big deal at all. Integration into the radio was very straight forward.

A couple years ago, I got tired of the 20GB disk and I just wanted all the tunes off the home computer available in the car. I found a method that allows the replacement of the "special" 20GB 2.5" disk in the Phatnoise cartridge (which aren't available anymore) with a standard 2.5" laptop drive. I popped in a 100GB drive and have been using that ever since. Great upgrade to the system.

I't will take some work to rediscover the procedure, but I'll have it up in a day or two.