PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Avant - front brake discs

johnhailstone
February 28th, 2011, 18:02
Mine need replaced after 20k miles. is this normal? I took my car in to audi for my 20k service at 19k. THey said my pads were 70% worn and good for another 3-4k miles. I noticed my braking was a bit juddery so ask them to look at it and now they say the discs need replaced due to corrosion. I find this unacceptable. any thoughts?

marklar182
February 28th, 2011, 19:16
OEM pads @ 3/4 life are known to kill rotors.

However, discs needing replaced due to corrosion sounds odd.

johnhailstone
February 28th, 2011, 23:10
thats what i thought - seems odd that they are corroded. whats the normal life expectancy of the discs? i don't drive them heavy. I'd be keen to hear from other drivers who have experienced the same problem? Audi quoted me £1100 for two front discs and pads. after lots of moaning they dropped it down to £900.
I do remember not long after picking up the rs6 from new on dec 08 that the discs started to look rusty, they squealed a lot too particularly when its warm day - i thought the discolouration was part of the look. Maybe the discs have been suspect all along.

hahnmgh63
March 1st, 2011, 00:53
johnhailstone update your location so others close to you can chime in. I take it your from Great Britain due to the prices and that your Avant is a C6? Grizz over at Unit 20 may be a good place to try as he was selling rotors and almost half those prices for a C6 last year. www.unit20.org (http://www.unit20.org) I can't remember his location, I think he was in the North Wales area?

JSRS6
March 1st, 2011, 01:03
johnhailstone update your location so others close to you can chime in. I take it your from Great Britain due to the prices and that your Avant is a C6? Grizz over at Unit 20 may be a good place to try as he was selling rotors and almost half those prices for a C6 last year. www.unit20.org (http://www.unit20.org) I can't remember his location, I think he was in the North Wales area?

Isle of man?

johnhailstone
March 1st, 2011, 08:51
Sorry Roy - I'm not too used to this forum. I am based in Glasgow, Scotland.

I'll check Unit 20.

Much appreciated.