PDA

View Full Version : Outlook

Qisha
February 26th, 2011, 18:37
Dear Friends,

busy times... but some news you might be interested in:

http://wot.motortrend.com/audi-teases-new-lightweight-r8-variant-codenamed-nf-journalists-tech-demonstration-34967.html

Qisha

AndyBG
February 26th, 2011, 20:41
Qisha, long time no see... :)

RXBG
February 26th, 2011, 23:48
incredible. i had to read it twice and very carefully to make sure i didn't miss anything. it doesn't sound unlike the recent all CF gallardo concept car we saw a while ago except that this sounds like it is down-to-earth soon-to-come stuff. it would not surprise me if audi threw out one more variant of the R8 at the end of the production cycle in a couple of years- a car that would basically foreshadow in a limited way what audi has in store for the next R8. we are essentially seeing a CF supercar in the LP700 already- but with an enormous engine.

my question is: are audi and lambo doing the same thing or are they spending cash separately for R&D with CF? the latter would not make sense corporately. in other words, is audi basically showcasing stuff they have directly charged and funded lambo to develop or is this stuff that is strictly their own? i really do believe the former....and that lambo is being allowed to implicitly take credit for the R&D since they are the exotic brand. is it all marketing?

finally.... will this process cause the new R8 to be exhorbitantly expensive or will it (hopefully), through platform sharing, help subsidize lower costs so the pricing of the next car is proportional to the outgoing one?

i am personally extremely excited about this info. and as i've stated previously, i believe the pricing differences between different levels of the next R8 will reflect body-weight-percentage use of lightweight material use as much as it will reflect engine specs. even if they leave the current engine at 560 hp (why develop and apply a whole new engine, even if the 4.0TT is wonderful?) all they'd have to do is make the car weigh 3100 lbs (that wouldn't even require all the CF pieces) and it would be capable of destroying the Italia. if they use all of them they'd have a car that weighs 2900 lbs according to the article. that p/w ratio is about 5.2. that is incredible.

darkop
March 11th, 2011, 20:40
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2011/163_news110309_audi_next_generation_q7_lightweight _materials/index.html?utm_campaign=Audi&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_source=SNS.analytics
:hahahehe::applause:

Joker
March 11th, 2011, 20:55
When these replacements arrive the gauntlet will have well and truly be thrown down to the opposition. Unlucky for BMW but lucky for Audi is that the x3, x5 are here already and the 3 series is almost upon us and all will look grossly over weight if these suggested weight savings end up to be true.

The very idea that the next RS4 might weigh less than 1600kg and has perfect weight balance is an exciting prospect.

Benman
March 16th, 2011, 04:06
Qisha, long time no see... :) Ditto that! :cheers:

So, the next Q7 will be up to 880lbs lighter! WOW, handling, acceleration, mpg all will get way better than current levels, impressive! And this "lightness" will be across the whole Audi product line. It seems their IS a win/win. Just follow the famous insight of a certain Brit: "Just add lightness"! Bravo!

Ben

RXBG
March 16th, 2011, 14:00
Ditto that! :cheers:

So, the next Q7 will be up to 880lbs lighter! WOW, handling, acceleration, mpg all will get way better than current levels, impressive! And this "lightness" will be across the whole Audi product line. It seems their IS a win/win. Just follow the famous insight of a certain Brit: "Just add lightness"! Bravo!

Ben

now the land rover claim is a bit more believable no? :cheers:

Joker
March 16th, 2011, 16:41

The next Range Rover will be made exclusively of aluminium so I'm guessing their projected figures are correct, if anything it's Audi's figures that I am questioning a little.

RXBG
March 16th, 2011, 18:16
The next Range Rover will be made exclusively of aluminium so I'm guessing their projected figures are correct, if anything it's Audi's figures that I am questioning a little.

RR will also cost like 120K base. the wave of the future is not bigger engines but lighter body panels. that's where the money will be spent. trim levels in a model line will reflect not so much engine changes as much as body composition- esp in A, S and RS models. maybe audi will spread the cost of these body panels across many models to offset their cost and mitigate high land rover-like prices in the new Q.

Benman
March 17th, 2011, 01:13

LOL, you got me there! :cheers: