PDA

View Full Version : Are there any other coilovers for the rs6 besides kw and pss9's ?

bcbeast
February 24th, 2011, 09:33
I havnt found any other options for coilovers besides the kw and bilsteins. Anything else? Anyone find any screaming deals on kw's or pss9's? My beast is squeaking horribly, I initially thought it was interior fitment but its starting to seem like the drc. Im not trying to decide between the two obvious coilover choices, and yes I've seen the thread. Im looking for other options and some links to great deals if anyone has found some amazing sales. Seems like $2.5k is about standard for kw v3's. I might consider pss9's for the right price but kw seems to be the better product. Thanks

Jimmy
February 24th, 2011, 13:24
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=H%26R&model=Street-Perf.+Coil-Over&group=Street-Perf.+Coil-Over&partNum=29482.2&autoMake=Audi&autoModel=A6+4.2&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=

H&R coilovers for the A6 4.2 will work.... a conventional shock/spring set-up from a 4.2 also will work.

V8weight
February 24th, 2011, 13:34
http://2bennett.com/audi%20rs6.html These look interesting, they come assembled with new upper strut mounts.

marklar182
February 24th, 2011, 13:43
http://2bennett.com/audi%20rs6.html These look interesting, they come assembled with new upper strut mounts.

Is the rear upper shock mount correct in that pic? Did they discontinue the aluminum RS 6 version?

V8weight
February 24th, 2011, 13:48
I'm having a brain fart, are the rear mounts aluminum on our cars? I know the part number on our car is the same as every other Audi across the board.

bcbeast
February 24th, 2011, 13:59
Are you sure the HR coilover will work?....

V8weight
February 24th, 2011, 14:02
Is the rear upper shock mount correct in that pic? Did they discontinue the aluminum RS 6 version?
Here's what I come up with for the rear strut mount.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/WORLDPACspeedDIAL.jpg

bcbeast
February 24th, 2011, 14:06
Would I need to buy that rear strut mount in addition to coilovers or is that already on the vehicle with the drc unit mounted to it?

Elevens
February 24th, 2011, 14:32
I havnt found any other options for coilovers besides the kw and bilsteins. Anything else? Anyone find any screaming deals on kw's or pss9's? My beast is squeaking horribly, I initially thought it was interior fitment but its starting to seem like the drc. Im not trying to decide between the two obvious coilover choices, and yes I've seen the thread. Im looking for other options and some links to great deals if anyone has found some amazing sales. Seems like $2.5k is about standard for kw v3's. I might consider pss9's for the right price but kw seems to be the better product. Thanks

Being Strictly an H&R man, I Imported my H&R coilovers from the UK. If you need the Adjust ability then go with the KW's or PSS9's. I didn't. I just needed a good durable coilover system which has given me very good results in the past. I can't exactly remember but I believe with shipping it was less than $1800.00.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Coilover%20Install/P1000787-1.jpg

marklar182
February 24th, 2011, 15:18
Here's what I come up with for the rear strut mount.

Audi must have discontinued the original design. I just had mine out a couple days ago and it is cast aluminum (original Audi part), not stamped steel.

Here is a pic when Kyle had his apart, I had the same issue as he did (squeaking);

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20784-Has-anyone-replaced-just-the-bushings?p=199339&viewfull=1#post199339

hahnmgh63
February 24th, 2011, 15:23
Elevens, not for me but for others can you give us the part #s for your H&R's? Just the Strut/Shocks if they are stenciled on somewhere then we could check them against what Tire Rack is selling to see if the RS6 version is different than the A6 version? Maybe the damping or compression is different maybe it isn't? Maybe as a package the RS6 just gets a higher spring rate but the same Strut/Shock? H&R USA I believe is still located in Bellingham, Washington, maybe they would know or admit what if any the differences are. I know Grizz has been selling KW's, Bilstein, and H&R's.

Elevens
February 24th, 2011, 15:46
Elevens, not for me but for others can you give us the part #s for your H&R's? Just the Strut/Shocks if they are stenciled on somewhere then we could check them against what Tire Rack is selling to see if the RS6 version is different than the A6 version? Maybe the damping or compression is different maybe it isn't? Maybe as a package the RS6 just gets a higher spring rate but the same Strut/Shock? H&R USA I believe is still located in Bellingham, Washington, maybe they would know or admit what if any the differences are. I know Grizz has been selling KW's, Bilstein, and H&R's.

Right now hahnmgh63 the car is at the shop getting the TC replaced. But as soon as I get it back I will do that. And yes the reason I ordered it from Britain is because I also could not find an RS6 version of the H&R's over hear. I had them on my on my A6 2.7T for about 7 years with Zero problems which is why I stand by them so much. Not to mention the fact that Grizz and Mooch highly recommends them also.
s

Jimmy
February 24th, 2011, 16:40
Are you sure the HR coilover will work?....

Yes.......

ben916
February 24th, 2011, 17:22
Lets not forget these ones...

http://www.stasisengineering.com/Category_Detail.aspx?VID=68&PID=91

http://www.stasisengineering.com/EnlargedView.aspx?EID=Admin/LargeImage/C5ohlinsLG.jpg

Brav
February 24th, 2011, 18:02
LOL I dont think stasis will fit the budget needs. I will send you my contact for coilovers, I think he has gotten great pricing for a few people so far. If the price is close, I'd go KW. Been riding on them for over a week, and couldn't be happier.

Jimmy
February 24th, 2011, 18:14
The sets sold thru the Tire Rack are the same numbers (on the springs) as the ones Elevens posted, 29482...curious to see if the body has a number that matches also. I'm tending to think its all the same.

Wholesale thru the Rack is less than a grand which is a great deal IMO for H&R coil-overs....I think I paid much more than that years ago for H&R coil-overs on my old 16V VW !

Elevens
February 24th, 2011, 22:05
Here's a slightly closer shot of the Coilover. And don't make any comments on my garage either. But it looks like the Part No on the shock is F46 1001-1/1. This apparently is for the A6/S6 and I assume for the RS6 since this is what I was sent. Any way who ever want's to research it, there it is. All I can tell you is that I am very happy with the Ride and Handling characteristics of the shock spring combination...............

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Coilover%20Install/P1000809-1.jpg

Stephencl
February 25th, 2011, 22:42
Yes, unfortunately the nice aluminum piece has been replaced with the stamped steel version. I have been looking for a set of NOS aluminum ones. Let me know if anyone finds any.....of course Audi still wants the same price.

hahnmgh63
February 26th, 2011, 01:35
I just purchased new mounts early last year when I did my KW's and they were aluminum just like the originals so the steel ones must have come about in the last year. Not as pretty but who sees them anyways and keeps us poor and Audi's profit margin up.

evilmonkey
March 22nd, 2011, 16:01
I'm also looking to change out my ever-failing DRC with coliovers ... is the consensus that the H&Rs for the 4.2 will work on the RS6? ECS Tuning has the Bils and the KWs but they are almost double the price of the H&Rs. Are there any other parts that need to be purchased for the swap? I may need control arms as well as the front seems to be sloppy and noisy.

JSRS6
March 22nd, 2011, 16:10
I'm also looking to change out my ever-failing DRC with coliovers ... is the consensus that the H&Rs for the 4.2 will work on the RS6? ECS Tuning has the Bils and the KWs but they are almost double the price of the H&Rs. Are there any other parts that need to be purchased for the swap? I may need control arms as well as the front seems to be sloppy and noisy.

Welcome to the forum! How long have you had your beast? When you get a minute, pm ben916 your vin. Queue Ozzy...

Aronis
March 22nd, 2011, 16:11
The old parts can be reused. I replaced the front top spring seats and upper strut mounts since my car has 110,000 miles on those original parts.
I also replaced the rear upper strut mounts which are also just like upper spring seats.

The reused parts include the rear "bumper" which goes inside the strut mount, and the strut cover.

I reused all the bolts but replaced the nuts on the front upper mount (two nuts per side).

Mike

Brav
March 22nd, 2011, 16:13
Yes they will work. Its just not an RS6-specific application.. will you personally know the difference? hard to say. Maybe sometimes in extreme handling/cornering situations you could feel a difference, but for daily driving, mashing the gas in a straight line, should work fine. I don't think they are adjustable. Supreme Power had a good deal on H&R when I called, I don't know if he still has them in stock. I would call or email to find out. Another board member may have taken them already.

hahnmgh63
March 22nd, 2011, 16:38
KW's are about $250 less on Tire rack than ECS and I'm sure shipping will be much less from Tire Rack as they have a lot of warehouses and ECS is overall a ripoff. ECS is overpriced in general, slow to ship if they have an item, and many times the parts are not in stock.

Aronis
March 22nd, 2011, 19:10
I did not see KW's listed on Tirerack.Com?

Mike

hahnmgh63
March 22nd, 2011, 19:43
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Audi&autoModel=RS6&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=Standard+Model
They started listing them about 3 or 4 months back, prior to that, Tire Rack only listed Bilsteins.

Brav
March 22nd, 2011, 20:25
Better prices can be had on KW, Bilstein, and H&R from tire rack.. call Eric @ Supreme Power.

evilmonkey
March 22nd, 2011, 23:21
I have had the car about 18 months and had the DRC in for service too many times. The last time was 11 months ago and they replaced the enitre system. This was after much stalking of the Audi service folks at Corp ... (my company used to provide IT service to VWoA and I still have some contacts there to track people down) ... The warranty is about to expire so the next failure is on me... I will be ordering some new summer tread in the next 30 days so I may bundle a purchase at tirerack if I can get a deal.

Aronis
March 23rd, 2011, 00:16
I paid much less than the Tirerack price from Ecodetuning. Quick turn around and excellent survive. He beat up fedex for me.

Mike

$2395 including shipping..

evilmonkey
March 23rd, 2011, 01:27
Anyone know anything about the ST Suspension products? I can only see that they are part of KW and havent heard of anyone using them.

V8weight
March 23rd, 2011, 03:54
Anyone know anything about the ST Suspension products? I can only see that they are part of KW and havent heard of anyone using them.
As far as I know, the ST coilovers are KW V1's (non adjustable bump and rebound) with galvanized cases rather than aluminum. Probably not very well suited to your climate in terms of corrosion resistance.

evilmonkey
March 31st, 2011, 19:36
I think it will be the KW V1s ... off to find the funds and the DRC removal instructions

DHall1
March 31st, 2011, 19:55
+2 ECS sucks.

Call Pat for general parts inquiry

KW's are about $250 less on Tire rack than ECS and I'm sure shipping will be much less from Tire Rack as they have a lot of warehouses and ECS is overall a ripoff. ECS is overpriced in general, slow to ship if they have an item, and many times the parts are not in stock.

evilmonkey
April 21st, 2011, 18:22
Got the new treads today ... OZs in for body color powder coat on centers and KW v1 backordered 2 weeks .... 30 days til its ready to roll.

aussie rs6
May 13th, 2011, 16:16
I have just installed the PSS9 coil overs - setting 4 - and Hotchkiss ARB's on soft setting.

Also fitted new top mounts and upper control arms all round. RS6 at 63,000 kms.

A real improvement over the dud DRC crashy ride and all the symptons you expect and every one knows about.- Very worth while doing. Ride is firm, but not race track firm and corners very flat.

Funnily enough, one of the things that i did notice now, is that a noise that i thought was one of the dreaded "clunks in the trunk" is actually coming from drivers seat base!

I initially thought it might have been the brakes releasing after stopping, but was just my body momentum on the seat causing it to move.
Rocking it back and forward now while sitting in it , I hear a clunk. Must be a little loose on the runners or similar.- will check on next service.

Current non pc Osama joke doing the rounds in oz ;

Just came back from the coffee shop
>
> they have a new coffee called The Osama Bin Latte
>
> It has a fluffy white head, but also has a couple of shots in it
>
>

Stephencl
May 13th, 2011, 16:43
Guys,

I ordered a set of coilovers from 2Bennett. They are built using Koni yellow sports and are valved to 2bennett's specifications. The units are shipped complete including spring perches, bumpers etc. Ready to drop into the car. Also comes with a kit to stop up the drc lines if they are left in the car. Struts feature a lifetime warranty and the spring rates are custom and tuned according to customers stated wishes.

These have a great repuation in the Allroad crowd and come in about 400 below the KW or the new PSS9's is you order them without 2bennetts spherical telfo lined upper front strut mounts.

I should have them by the end of next week, so I should be able to give some first impressions on quality, finish etc....

actual butt in seat time will be a few weeks out.

Stephen

PALETTE
May 13th, 2011, 18:46
What about these? http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/auto-silverline-coilovers-audi-wdrc-0204-p-130886.html

ben916
May 13th, 2011, 19:14
What about these? http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/auto-silverline-coilovers-audi-wdrc-0204-p-130886.html

So, If I read that right, it plugs into the existing DRC??!?!
All that you would be replacing is the 4 crap components that are known to fail...

JSRS6
May 13th, 2011, 19:20
Doesnt interface with existing DRC. Standalone.

JSRS6
May 13th, 2011, 19:25
Started looking at the other products on the site...

a little overpriced?
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/gruppe-intake-system-audi-twin-turbo-p-74277.html

ben916
May 13th, 2011, 19:29
Started looking at the other products on the site...

a little overpriced?
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/gruppe-intake-system-audi-twin-turbo-p-74277.html

Drop a "5" and then priced right... also where does this get installed?

Did you notice that if you click on the photo to "blow it up", it is actually smaller than the photo on the webpage?
excellent programming...

JSRS6
May 13th, 2011, 19:36
they also grouped c5 and c6 rs6 together...02-10

wouldnt mind putting a couple of these in about 2 years ;-)

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/status-racing-standard-ring-bucket-seat-carbon-fiber-leather-approved-p-52238.html

PALETTE
May 13th, 2011, 19:42
OK SO where can i get H&R coil overs????

Stephencl
May 13th, 2011, 20:02
Tire Rack under the s6 heading. Also, 2bennett sells the H&R's as well. I was determined to go the H&R path when I first reached out to them. You can find them on their A6/S6 page as well.

Stephen

skribe
May 13th, 2011, 22:35
Didn't find them under S6, but under C5 A6 4.2 there are a number of options, I have to believe they all would work as GVW is not that different, no?

These (http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=H%26R&model=Street-Perf.+Coil-Over&group=Street-Perf.+Coil-Over&partNum=29482.2&autoMake=Audi&autoModel=A6+4.2&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=) seem like a deal.

4everRS
May 14th, 2011, 03:48
Those do seem like a deal. Anyone have experience with them? Elevens, are these what you have?
Didn't find them under S6, but under C5 A6 4.2 there are a number of options, I have to believe they all would work as GVW is not that different, no?

These (http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=H%26R&model=Street-Perf.+Coil-Over&group=Street-Perf.+Coil-Over&partNum=29482.2&autoMake=Audi&autoModel=A6+4.2&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=) seem like a deal.

Elevens
May 14th, 2011, 12:31
Those do seem like a deal. Anyone have experience with them? Elevens, are these what you have?

Well I purchased mine from the UK, because I could not find a listing for the RS6 over hear. But I believe earlier in this thread someone did compare Part No.'s listed on my shock body to the part No.'s listed for the C5 A6 4.2L over hear. And they were the Same. I believe If you want a relatively inexpensive Non adjustable coilover system of good quality, H&R's are the way to go. Had them on my A6 2.7T for over 6 years with Zero problems. If you want adustablity then Maybe KW's or PSS9's, but there more expensive and I believe adjusting them is not that easy....................

nene
May 14th, 2011, 15:26
After my second DRC replacement, I find that the ride is much harsher. After I go over bumps, you can feel it throughout the whole car, almost as if the shocks aren't really doing any work.
I have 20" wheels on my BMW 550 and the suspension handles a lot better than on the RS6.
I would really like to get something softer, as I only drive the car on streets and not on a track. It appears my new DRC settings are track only if that makes any sense.

I had H&R coilovers on my 2000 S4, and I loved them. The only issue is that they were a bit harder than stock on that car obviously.
It makes difficult to make a decision, because in this case it is not so much price as the decision factor, but not wanting to make a costly mistake of trying out 2-3 different suspension configurations.

PALETTE
May 14th, 2011, 15:57
Well I purchased mine from the UK, because I could not find a listing for the RS6 over hear. But I believe earlier in this thread someone did compare Part No.'s listed on my shock body to the part No.'s listed for the C5 A6 4.2L over hear. And they were the Same. I believe If you want a relatively inexpensive Non adjustable coilover system of good quality, H&R's are the way to go. Had them on my A6 2.7T for over 6 years with Zero problems. If you want adustablity then Maybe KW's or PSS9's, but there more expensive and I believe adjusting them is not that easy....................

Can we confirm if this is correct as i would be placing an order for them. Thanks Guys

evilmonkey
May 19th, 2011, 17:47
I received my KWs today. I was able to get them at a discount through a buddy from tirerack. I will try to install them in the next week or two ... got the wheels back from powder coat over the weekend ... what do ya think?

JSRS6
May 19th, 2011, 18:54
Lookin good! The rim lip complements the Aluminum trim on the car nicely.

Aronis
May 19th, 2011, 18:54
Wheels are nice!

The corner of your lawn, not so nice....LOL JK....

Have fun with the installation!

You'll need these!

Mike

evilmonkey
May 19th, 2011, 20:56
The backyard is worse ... damn dogs ... what you dont see in the picture is the 8ton of top soil in front of the trailer to attempt to fix the lawn. I would rather work on the KWs though. My buddy owns a body shop and i will be using his hoist and tools to make the job a bit easier than the floor of my garage.

Stephencl
May 20th, 2011, 04:35
Folks,

Got my 2bennetts in the mail today. They are the BOMB. Quality is over the top with cnc machined spring perch collars that cinch down with allen bolts, special spherical bearing front upper mounts, gorgeously finished with excellent directions, and pre set to my driving specifications. I am over the top impressed. For the price, they come with all the other bits required to re-fit coilovers, so if my math is correct, you are really only paying $1500 for the coilovers, then the balance for all the additional spring perches etc you would buy to replace anyway. They also come with clear directions and a kit to tie off the drc components.

I dont think you could ask for a better set up at a better price. They will get installed in the next two weeks. I will append photos tomorrow in this post.

Stephen

Aronis
May 20th, 2011, 12:58
The backyard is worse ... damn dogs ... what you dont see in the picture is the 8ton of top soil in front of the trailer to attempt to fix the lawn. I would rather work on the KWs though. My buddy owns a body shop and i will be using his hoist and tools to make the job a bit easier than the floor of my garage.

A buddy with a lift and tools. That's nice!!

I have access to a lift but if something goes wrong my car gets stuck there and I'd have to beg rides back and forth. 20 miles away.

If I end up doing the IC then I'll take then up on the lift offer.

Aronis
May 20th, 2011, 13:00
Oh ps my lawn is a disaster. We moved in three years ago and I'm slowly turning dirt into grass into ugly lawn into lawn.

Mike

evilmonkey
June 7th, 2011, 23:37
Installed the KWs on Sunday. Still need to play with the height adjustments to get it dialed in for the bad roads in my area. Will post pics after that is complete. The use of a hoist made it a pretty easy install taking about 4 hours.

Anyone want to procure the DRC components?