PDA

View Full Version : 350000 kms and still goes like the wind

Bigglezworth
February 22nd, 2011, 19:56
Had a dyno done the other day on the high mileage blue beast so that I could establish a baseline for the car with just a tune. Looking at doing some other basic items such as exhaust, 9th intector, possibly turbos, injectors, & cams. Anyway, decided to see if the cooler night temps (-3F) assist the 0-60 time compared to one a few months back when the temps (+49F) were somewhat warmer. The clips are crude at best and I really need to purchase the proper equipment for this when I do it the next time (hand held BB isn't a great solution). Anyway, I couldn't get matching times and therefore can't determine if cooler is that much better on a tuned ride. I'm going to blame this on the fact that I had 4wheel spin on the latest run. Car stunk like rubber for a solid 5 mins afterwards.

Anyway, just reasurance to all those members out there that baby their rides in hopes that it lasts them for a number of years - KYB may have let us down with their DRC and Audi with their tranny, but Cosworth certainly got it right from an engine build/quality perspective. A compression test has confirmed that all 8 cylinders are less than 3% off OEM spec with less than 1% variance across all 8 cylinders.

Tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zirJXuQwmK8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjeCfNGEQAY

AndyBG
February 22nd, 2011, 22:08
Congratulations...! :applause:

hahnmgh63
February 22nd, 2011, 22:19
Congrats, good to hear. Still on the original Turbos?

Bigglezworth
February 22nd, 2011, 23:12
Congrats, good to hear. Still on the original Turbos?No. They were changed out at 160000 kms. I just have the receipt. I have no reason on the why. Second tranny too which was changed out around the same time as the Turbo's.

MaxRS6
February 22nd, 2011, 23:50
Congrats and thank you for sharing the information

vitalian
February 23rd, 2011, 00:51
Thanks for posing this. It gives me hope that my blue beast with 80+K miles still has plenty of life in her!

Ruergard
February 23rd, 2011, 06:35
GottaŽ love the wheelspin. :D

Aronis
February 24th, 2011, 01:40
I love to hear about higher mileage RS6's than mine as I cannot afford to replace mine. I have only 8 more payments LOL... at 109,000 miles (175,500 km). DRC died again though...new TC at 104,000..

But a bad smell from car last few weeks. Not sure what it is. I HOPE IT"S JUST DRC FLUID burning off from the leak point! WHo Knows? No Oil level drop, no smoke from exhaust, just a burnt oil smell. I think its DRC fluid burning..hope...

V8weight
February 24th, 2011, 01:48
I love to hear about higher mileage RS6's than mine as I cannot afford to replace mine. I have only 8 more payments LOL... at 109,000 miles (175,500 km). DRC died again though...new TC at 104,000..

But a bad smell from car last few weeks. Not sure what it is. I HOPE IT"S JUST DRC FLUID burning off from the leak point! WHo Knows? No Oil level drop, no smoke from exhaust, just a burnt oil smell. I think its DRC fluid burning..hope...
Valve cover/cam tensioner gasket :vhmmm:

skribe
February 24th, 2011, 02:41
^^ What the Pat said...weeping VC gasket? Engine oil drips onto hot exhaust parts and makes quite a stink in the cabin. My m3 did that. Inspect, wipe & add just a little torque to the bolts to slow it down.

ben916
February 24th, 2011, 02:59
... add just a little torque to the bolts ....

Just don't do the "SNAP! SHIT!"...

V8weight
February 24th, 2011, 03:04
Just don't do the "SNAP! SHIT!"...
Second that, the valve cover bolts are VERY weak and snap very easily if over torqued (unlike the coil pack bolts, it would take a computer programmer to break those). If it is the cam tensioner gaskets, re-torquing won't help.

SAF
February 24th, 2011, 03:16
I believe my valve cover gasket is weeping for the last couple of weeks. Same smell, noticed mostly when I'm not moving and it drifts inside or I walk around the hot car. Guess I'll tackle it while it's waiting for the axle replacement.

ben916
February 24th, 2011, 03:49
Second that, the valve cover bolts are VERY weak and snap very easily if over torqued (unlike the coil pack bolts, it would take a computer programmer to break those). If it is the cam tensioner gaskets, re-torquing won't help.

Yeah, those pesky nerds have super strong fingers from typing all day long. Over torque in inches... pffsstt! :)

Aronis
February 25th, 2011, 02:48
Thanks, I'll look again, more carefully LOL..

Mike