PDA

View Full Version : Who's had their Converter replaced?

4everRS
February 21st, 2011, 14:12
What did you replace it with and what are your impressions of it? I need mine replaced and trying to decide on which one. I will be keeping the trans, just replacing the TC. Thanks for any input.

CornersWell
February 21st, 2011, 14:23
Yes, unfortunately. Had a re-build on my TC. Took 3x as long as promised and cost more than the new Audi re-designed TC unit, but that's what the warranty company wanted to do. Moreover, I feel it shifts differently with the re-built unit.

CW

MORS6
February 21st, 2011, 15:53
What did you replace it with and what are your impressions of it? I need mine replaced and trying to decide on which one. I will be keeping the trans, just replacing the TC. Thanks for any input.

I had mine replaced with an ACE Converter http://aceconverter.com/. The price was right. $424.50 plus shipping. He had a core so he got the rebuilt to me quickly and I was able to send him the core after the install. It arrived on a Wednesday. Tozo installed it that weekend. I sent the core back on Monday. Easy process.

I'm happy with it. Torque Converter with shipping both ways + New Transmission fluid and filter + 4 O2 sensors + Labor was approx $2630.

I've been driving it for about 6 weeks since the TC swap. I check periodically for dreaded P0741 code - no issue. I got the Eurocharge tune at the same time I replaced the TC. The car seems silly fast to me. Shifts great. I'd do it again.

4everRS
February 21st, 2011, 15:55
Yes, unfortunately. Had a re-build on my TC. Took 3x as long as promised and cost more than the new Audi re-designed TC unit, but that's what the warranty company wanted to do. Moreover, I feel it shifts differently with the re-built unit.

CWwho rebuilt it and do you like the change? How does it feel different?

4everRS
February 21st, 2011, 15:59
Great input, thanks.
I had mine replaced with an ACE Converter http://aceconverter.com/. The price was right. $424.50 plus shipping. He had a core so he got the rebuilt to me quickly and I was able to send him the core after the install. It arrived on a Wednesday. Tozo installed it that weekend. I sent the core back on Monday. Easy process.

I'm happy with it. Torque Converter with shipping both ways + New Transmission fluid and filter + 4 O2 sensors + Labor was approx $2630.

I've been driving it for about 6 weeks since the TC swap. I check periodically for dreaded P0741 code - no issue. I got the Eurocharge tune at the same time I replaced the TC. The car seems silly fast to me. Shifts great. I'd do it again.

vitalian
February 21st, 2011, 16:25
You should check with mmaturo. He's had his TC replaced multiple times, so he should have some info for you.

twinsteve
February 21st, 2011, 17:04

Mine was replaced 6 months ago with re-designed OEM TC (under Fidelity warranty)...so far so good....

Aronis
February 21st, 2011, 19:49
Had mine done at 104,000 miles. Just happened to see code for lockup failure, not CEL ever came on, covered by Audi extended warrantee.

Mike

Elevens
February 22nd, 2011, 00:30
Mine is at the shop right now. Chris at USP MotorSport prefers to use the Improved Audi OEM unit. So that's what I am going with. EGT sensor's are also being replaced while in there.

DHall1
February 22nd, 2011, 03:21
+1 on the new updated OEM unit. FWIW

4everRS
February 22nd, 2011, 03:41
OK, what is actually updated on the new updated Audi TC? Is it the seal? Spent some time on the phone today with a guy who owns a big TC rebuilding outfit. He said that there are a few issues with the Audi TC but the biggest is by far the seal.

Anyway, where would I source one. Genuine?

4everRS
March 2nd, 2011, 04:00
Anyone know this?
OK, what is actually updated on the new updated Audi TC? Is it the seal? Spent some time on the phone today with a guy who owns a big TC rebuilding outfit. He said that there are a few issues with the Audi TC but the biggest is by far the seal.

marklar182
March 2nd, 2011, 04:29

audionlineparts is cheapest 01L323571G

Jimmy
March 2nd, 2011, 13:13
Anyone know this?

I understand the new seal is just made of 'Viton'....which the VAG was using for other applications like pedal bushings way back in the 80s. But I do not have any infomation that points to anything else being 'improved' on the superceeded TCs.

I have an ACES TC waiting to go in mine...I did get a code last year after a year+ of driving it from 78K. I felt some slippage once in a while but never a CEL. I cleared the code back last fall...scanned it last week and no TC code now and I can't really feel any slippage either. But I'm still throwing the ACES TC in soon as everyone I heard from says it really makes a nice 'upgrade' over the stock unit. I'm at 92K now. Pretty sure my TC is the one from new too.

JSRS6
March 2nd, 2011, 14:54
Ditto on the mileage, I just passed 92 as well. God I put a lot of miles on her! I'm on track for nearly 30k!

Rhino315
March 6th, 2011, 10:12
Hi. I have the same issue with my TC. Just for info, What kind of Warranty did you get and receipt :rolleyes:, of course, for safety, we are not talking about a couple of benjamins. Also, if you don't mine, about how much will be just the TC. You can answer me to my e-mail, csiace@wi.rr.com, Thanks! :thumb:

vodeftones
March 6th, 2011, 13:03
Still on my original converter with 119k although i have gotten the fault, just hasn't come back yet

4everRS
March 6th, 2011, 16:35
Rhino, it is pretty clear what he paid for the services performed. He clearly states what the price of the converter is, and on the link the ACE converters he included it goes straight to the page that says the converter has a one year warranty. Also, just for general forum etiqiette, write like everyone else. Bold and italicized words may make others think you are yelling or upset.

V8weight
March 6th, 2011, 19:12
Rhino, it is pretty clear what he paid for the services performed. He clearly states what the price of the converter is, and on the link the ACE converters he included it goes straight to the page that says the converter has a one year warranty. Also, just for general forum etiqiette, write like everyone else. Bold and italicized words may make others think you are yelling or upset.
LOL Kyle, it's the wing isn't it?

Rhino315
March 6th, 2011, 21:41
I am very sorry, I don't need to apologize for the way I like to type or write in my personal way. If it bothers you is because somebody made it look like that to yourself, by the way, I know how to read, what I ask was for the labor of the Torque Converter remove and install by TOZO. I thimk I made myself clear. Don't make some of us fall in the game of supposed general forum etiquette (check your spell) , have respect to the individualism of human beings. The show must go on.

4everRS
March 6th, 2011, 22:59
So you apologized, then said you don't need to. Your sentence structure is horrendus and you mis-spell, then critisize me for doing so. And I guess I need to understand you're unique, just like everyone else. Good to see you've been to a broadway show recently - yes, the show must go on, so let's get back ON TOPIC. (that's me being an individual)

yokust
March 7th, 2011, 00:16
LOL Kyle, it's the wing isn't it?

No Comment!!!!!!!!!

DHall1
March 7th, 2011, 05:05
I only have one thing to say to the RS6 people and Ben Dover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiIP_KDQmXs

TozoM8
March 7th, 2011, 17:54
Here is my take on this.
There are a lot of people on these forums that speak English as a second language. If you don't learn it in early age then it will show. There are a lot of rules in the English language that doesn't make any sense, but because you learned it when you were a kid it is normal to you.
Wings.
I am the last guy who would put a wing on an Audi, but I saw his car and that wing doesn't look that bad in person. I would probable take it off, but it is a nice/expensive piece.
BTW his car is the cleanest RS6 I've ever seen. Not a single scratch. You could put it on a showroom floor and sell it as new.
Just saying.......

Rhino315
March 7th, 2011, 21:01
So you waist your precious time, criticizing others grammar in this informative car forum, and guess what, my mother (R.I.P.) taught me to pay attention first to my mistakes, rather than spending time looking at my fellow human beings defects or errors. By the way, thanks for the constructive criticism regarding my way of typing, however, to get back on track to the information I was looking for was the charges for the removal and installation of the TC, not the cost of the part. If you have more information related to this, then get back to me. Thank You Very Much and God Bless You.
So you apologized, then said you don't need to. Your sentence structure is horrendus and you mis-spell, then critisize me for doing so. And I guess I need to understand you're unique, just like everyone else. Good to see you've been to a broadway show recently - yes, the show must go on, so let's get back ON TOPIC. (that's me being an individual)

terrytcl
March 7th, 2011, 22:10
way off topic...

Rhino... eat lunch at "On the Border"? hahahaha

we used to stop there for lunch on the way back to school (marquette)... that was about 15 years ago, but... it was a good break during the drive. :)

Rhino315
March 7th, 2011, 23:35
I believe you just confused me with somebody that had lunch there with your co-pilot sometime back. I don't ride that area, I am in the area that hunt Cold Cubs so Packers can make warm Bear upholstery for their RS6's by the Great Lakes. Sorry, wrong beast.

marklar182
March 8th, 2011, 00:37
Sorry, but the bold type is a little annoying.

MaxRS6
March 8th, 2011, 00:50
+3 on the bold type. Sorry- I'm old and my eyes don't like adjustments...00

speedtrapped
March 8th, 2011, 02:20
ummmmm, Me confused....I have turbo's on the brain.....PSI, bar, rocket....uhhhh from what I know most mechanics that are familiar with RS6's can drop tranny w/o dropping the engine, so stay away from audi dealership(sorry Yokust), but I know my mechanic would charge me $700.00 for labor. Not sure if that is average for local Indy mechanics.

2TURBOV8
March 8th, 2011, 02:33
If the cheapest you can get the OEM converter for is $1000.00, and you can get the ACE for $424.50. Why would you buy the OEM one? Does anyone think that the OEM converter is that much better. I just want to know for whenever I buy a new one.

JSRS6
March 8th, 2011, 02:37
OEM is definitively not better than ACE.

4everRS
March 8th, 2011, 03:12
Hey Speed, I think this can be pretty common to do using the transverse bar method. Yokust could jump in here, but I am confident that this job is easier (but longer) if you drop the motor. If you have a warranty, mine-as-well have the insurance company pay for the full service. I have a local indy transmission shop here and they have done many audi transmissions, but not an RS6. Showed him the car on a lift, as well as some quick pics (thanks all), and he is pretty confident that he can do it for under $800 labor. Not sure yet what I will do. I wish he had RS6 experience.
ummmmm, Me confused....I have turbo's on the brain.....PSI, bar, rocket....uhhhh from what I know most mechanics that are familiar with RS6's can drop tranny w/o dropping the engine, so stay away from audi dealership(sorry Yokust), but I know my mechanic would charge me $700.00 for labor. Not sure if that is average for local Indy mechanics.

Rhino315
March 8th, 2011, 03:42
Good, then, don't use it. This forums are not for grammar classes. Thank God We are in USA...

MaxRS6
March 8th, 2011, 03:49
LOL- Uhhhhh- Hmmmm- Uhhhhhh- Class Class- Hush now- Not sure being on the forum qualifies as being within the USA borders. However; I digress and drink too much. Cheers!

yokust
March 8th, 2011, 03:53
Yes the trans can be taken out without removing the motor, I have done it twice. BUT I do not like doing it that way. It only saves maybe an hour at best, and is alot harder of work. I can pull the motor replace trans or tc in one day, as long as everything goes smoothly.

And personally, soon as you have the turbo studs break off in the turbo, or pull the threads from the turbo (which happens alot), you are pulling the motor anyways. Or when you find the coolant leaks or anything else, the motor is out and items can be addressed easily.

But again, I am not knocking anyone who likes to do it any way. I just personally have worked on enough of them and seen enough problems that I prefer to do it this way now

4everRS
March 8th, 2011, 04:13
Thanks for your perspective yokust. When you get a chance, post a pic of the turbo studs on the engine.
Yes the trans can be taken out without removing the motor, I have done it twice. BUT I do not like doing it that way. It only saves maybe an hour at best, and is alot harder of work. I can pull the motor replace trans or tc in one day, as long as everything goes smoothly.

And personally, soon as you have the turbo studs break off in the turbo, or pull the threads from the turbo (which happens alot), you are pulling the motor anyways. Or when you find the coolant leaks or anything else, the motor is out and items can be addressed easily.

But again, I am not knocking anyone who likes to do it any way. I just personally have worked on enough of them and seen enough problems that I prefer to do it this way now

yokust
March 8th, 2011, 18:38
Thanks for your perspective yokust. When you get a chance, post a pic of the turbo studs on the engine.

You can see the studs I am talking about in all the engine pics posted in your other thread. Its the 3 top nuts and studs for the turbo to manifold. The studs almost always come out with the turbo, and half the time the studs smear the threads a bit. On both my cars 1 bolt on one of my turbos came out with messed threads and then sitting there tapping the turbo as best as possible sucks.

The first RS6 trans I did back in the day without pulling the motor, the turbo stud broke off in the turbo housing. And I had seen the "RS6" tech at the dealer have that problem a few times before all techs were allowed to work on the cars.

Rhino315
March 8th, 2011, 19:42
Thank you for your wise words Tozo, friend from the border ( I mean WI-IL border ) . I'll appreciated your unbiased comments, specially when a lot of us speak English, not just as a second language, some of us, like me, we learn it since first grade in PR, as some people know, we've been US territory since 1898, I've been living in mainland since I finish College, about 18 years. I just want it to share that info. in case some people still feel curious. We all have many things in common, not just being lucky owners of the beast RS6, we have to live in this planet, together and help each other, even the animals in the jungle protect there owns until death. I though this forum is to help each other, not to find out who can I criticize with smart phrases. I am open to invite you and whoever to have a real coffee or PR aged Rum, the real thing, by lake Michigan ( two blocks behind my residence ). Cheers. Rhino Carlos. God Bless.
Here is my take on this.
There are a lot of people on these forums that speak English as a second language. If you don't learn it in early age then it will show. There are a lot of rules in the English language that doesn't make any sense, but because you learned it when you were a kid it is normal to you.
Wings.
I am the last guy who would put a wing on an Audi, but I saw his car and that wing doesn't look that bad in person. I would probable take it off, but it is a nice/expensive piece.
BTW his car is the cleanest RS6 I've ever seen. Not a single scratch. You could put it on a showroom floor and sell it as new.
Just saying.......

ttboost
March 9th, 2011, 17:55
My motor and trans will be out very soon. I can't imagine it being any easier to do with engine IN.

Elevens
March 11th, 2011, 03:45
Engine is now back in with New TC, Valve body and Valve Cover Gaskets. I also had them install 8 new Coil Packs and Plugs (gapped at 028), 710N Diverter Valves, and N75 Valve. The Downpipe-Turbo studs were also replaced since the threads were slightly damaged. They also performed a complete Timing Belt job. I also had the opportunity take my headlights home and Wet sand them to bring them back to new like condition as well as do the Clear Corner Mod. Bought the Stealth Bulbs and its looking good now. Both Outer CV joints are also being Replaced since Drivers side boot was ripped. I'm Spending a bundle but the guy working on my car is a perfectionist and hopefully I will be happy with the results. I haven't got the car back yet, since their still buttoning it up. But I will post my impressions as soon as I am able to.

4everRS
March 11th, 2011, 04:15
Good to hear elevens. Did they replace the studs on the turbo from the header? Or were you lucky enough to have them come out without issue?

Elevens
March 11th, 2011, 04:38
Apparently they came out with no issue since what he showed me were all in tact. Its just that they looked warn and corroded and he said he did not want to reuse them. And looking at the Turbo's, all stud locations looked clear. He also replaced most of the cloth Vacuum lines with Silicon lines. I also wanted to do the Hybrid Turbo rout, but neither time nor money would permit that. Oh well if this TC ever goes again(which I hope it never does) I'll be ready...................

ttboost
March 21st, 2011, 23:34
Gift from UPS today...

Cannot for the life of me wonder why anyone would do this job only removing the tranny. Can hardly do it with everything out!!!

JSRS6
March 21st, 2011, 23:38
Huh? Lol:hihi:

PALETTE
March 22nd, 2011, 15:55
Gift from UPS today...

Cannot for the life of me wonder why anyone would do this job only removing the tranny. Can hardly do it with everything out!!!

Looks like a cardboard box to me... Is it Empty?? LOL Hurry up guy i need that Converter!! LOL

4everRS
March 24th, 2011, 02:28
Ya me too. Get that core back to Andre! :)
Looks like a cardboard box to me... Is it Empty?? LOL Hurry up guy i need that Converter!! LOL

ttboost
March 24th, 2011, 10:29
Ya me too. Get that core back to Andre! :)

Not his core, it's my core, he couldn't get one....I had to pay for it...need to get my money back...

PALETTE
March 26th, 2011, 14:07
Not his core, it's my core, he couldn't get one....I had to pay for it...need to get my money back...

Thanks Mike! :)

4everRS
March 26th, 2011, 15:31
Anyone out there with a junk TC to sell me?

ttboost
March 26th, 2011, 21:25
Anyone out there with a junk TC to sell me?

Palette should have one soon...

hahnmgh63
March 27th, 2011, 01:44
I have a TC but I wouldn't say it is junk. It came out of the Raven Motorsport car that got the 6 speed manual. I really don't need it, I just wanted it and the transmission to use as early cores when I had them rebuilt while still driving my car but not really necessary as I have other cars to drive. Make me an offer if you want it. I can take pics, it looks fairly new, as in the tranny wasn't leaking any fluids in the bell housing. I believe they were both warranty replacements but i don't know for sure unless someone can tell me how to date check them and how to tell if this TC has the new seal.

V8weight
March 27th, 2011, 03:59
I have a TC but I wouldn't say it is junk. It came out of the Raven Motorsport car that got the 6 speed manual. I really don't need it, I just wanted it and the transmission to use as early cores when I had them rebuilt while still driving my car but not really necessary as I have other cars to drive. Make me an offer if you want it. I can take pics, it looks fairly new, as in the tranny wasn't leaking any fluids in the bell housing. I believe they were both warranty replacements but i don't know for sure unless someone can tell me how to date check them and how to tell if this TC has the new seal.
Unfortunately the part number on the converter doesn't distinguish whether it is the original or the updated design. The part number is 01L 323 571G either way, Audi didn't change the last prefix to represent the revision.

4everRS
March 27th, 2011, 04:29
Ya, and I'm having trust issues with the OEM TC. I have spoken with a few TC companies and they can tell me exactly what they do to make the unit better. I can't get anyone to give me any specifics on what improvements audi or ZF has made.
Unfortunately the part number on the converter doesn't distinguish whether it is the original or the updated design. The part number is 01L 323 571G either way, Audi didn't change the last prefix to represent the revision.

ttboost
March 27th, 2011, 12:34
Ya, and I'm having trust issues with the OEM TC. I have spoken with a few TC companies and they can tell me exactly what they do to make the unit better. I can't get anyone to give me any specifics on what improvements audi or ZF has made.

Exactly why I just sent mine to Ace. $400 for peice of mind...

nistah
March 27th, 2011, 19:34
Unfortunately the part number on the converter doesn't distinguish whether it is the original or the updated design. The part number isd 01L 323 571G either way, Audi didn't change the last prefix to represent the revision.

It seems the PO of my RS6 had the TC replaced by the local audi dealership in Feb 2010, can anyone advise if it would have been the updated TC? Thx

PALETTE
March 27th, 2011, 20:47
It seems the PO of my RS6 had the TC replaced by the local audi dealership in Feb 2010, can anyone advise if it would have been the updated TC? Thx

I'm going to go a limb and say yes

yokust
March 28th, 2011, 18:25
The oem 'updated' tc has been around fro a few years. I want to say like '08 I believe. So yes it should be the new style.

My previous car had the oem 'updated' tc, it was done in '08. And Andre from ACE said it was the best tc for one of these cars that he has taken apart.