PDA

View Full Version : Off to a flying start

vitalian
February 19th, 2011, 03:05
Bought the beast on Monday and had to get a tow to the stealership today. (Yes, I insisted. on a flatbed.) Dead as the proverbial doornail and it's not the battery. Good thing I got a warranty with roadside assistance. Still waiting to hear the diagnosis.

Semi-amusing sidenote -- They gave me a brand new black Chrysler 300 as a loaner. I told them it needed spinners and a subwoofer the size of a 50 gallon Igloo cooler to really make it worthwhile. They laughed.

I knew there'd be pain with the pleasure. Just not this soon. But still, can't wait to get the beastie back!!!

4everRS
February 19th, 2011, 03:08
Geez, that's too bad. Were you driving? How did it happen?

ben916
February 19th, 2011, 03:09
Any warning on the "dead as the proverbial doornail"?
Symptoms?

You should punish that 300 by doing some donuts in the parking lot across the street and then do a huge burnout just before returning it.
Leave all the burnout rubber on the wheel wells and then return it just like that.
Then say, "Give me a f@#$ing Audi next time, jack a$$!"

hahnmgh63
February 19th, 2011, 03:16
In 6 years of ownership my Beast has never let me stranded, not even close. I guess I've been lucky. My only trip to the dealer was twice for failed DRC recall and the 35K service while the car was still on warranty.

vitalian
February 19th, 2011, 03:19
No, no warning at all. I warmed it up fully, drove to the gas station, filled it up (premium of course), drove to a convenience store to buy a breakfast bar, and poof! Dead as a doornail. Tried jumping it twice (including with the tow truck driver's equipment) and nothing but "click." All the accessories came on and battery shows decent charge, but no go on the engine. No warning light prior to the failure, either.

Ben, they had given out all the Audi loan cars by the time I got there, but you better believe I'm going to throw some abuse on that 300. Doughnuts in stealership's driveway definitely in order!

4everRS
February 19th, 2011, 04:10
weird. Of course the mind goes to the worst first, but hopefully it is just an ecu issue.

skribe
February 19th, 2011, 04:35
Unlikely it's catastrophic. But you always have to wonder if you've been sold a bill of goods. And another reason why anybody who's remotely into VW/Audi group cars should own a VAG-COM cable and get versed in the usage of it.

Good luck. If you find out it was a pre-existing condition that was masked, you have a couple dozen friends here to help you raise hell.

Elevens
February 19th, 2011, 04:53
Wow! Sorry to hear this. If it clicks but doesn't turn over, I would call a Starter or a loose connection to the Starter Solenoid. Either way you look at it, not a good start with your new purchase. I hope you get it rectified soon and turns out to be something simple. Good luck............

vitalian
February 19th, 2011, 04:53
Thank you, I appreciate it. One nice surprise is that the stealership guys told me that if it turns out to be a "preexisting condition" that my aftermarket warranty won't cover, they will fix it without charge because I only bought the car 4 days ago and this crap shouldn't happen. If they don't make good on that, you better believe I'll be asking for help raising some holy hell!

hahnmgh63
February 19th, 2011, 04:59
Barrier better make good on this or let them know that everyone on this list and Quattroworld N.W. Forums will know besides BBB and others.

vitalian
February 19th, 2011, 05:06
Barrier better make good on this or let them know that everyone on this list and Quattroworld N.W. Forums will know besides BBB and others.

You bet your bippy I will.

hahnmgh63
February 19th, 2011, 05:09
Is your car at Barrier now? If not, I'm heading up to Redmond & Kent tomorrow and could bring my Vagcom to check codes.

vitalian
February 19th, 2011, 05:27
Is your car at Barrier now? If not, I'm heading up to Redmond & Kent tomorrow and could bring my Vagcom to check codes.

The beast is at Barrier, but thank you so much for the offer! I owe you beers at the next Audi nite in South Lake Union!

skribe
February 19th, 2011, 05:31
You bet your bippy I will.

Careful betting your bippy. I had no choice but to lay mine down in Vegas one night. I lost. Needless to say, I didn't fully understand the definition of "bippy" before I placed that fateful bet. :looking:

vitalian
February 19th, 2011, 05:37
Careful betting your bippy. I had no choice but to lay mine down in Vegas one night. I lost. Needless to say, I didn't fully understand the definition of "bippy" before I placed that fateful bet. :looking:

Believe me, I don't bet the bippy lightly.

skribe
February 19th, 2011, 05:42
Ha ha.. have to confess the point of that post was only to crack myself up. Like anything worth really having, the beast comes at a cost. If it was easy, anybody could do it :)

ben916
February 19th, 2011, 05:43
Do we have any bets on the diagnosis?
(Not to take advantage of you, V, in this time of frustration as I know I would be livid)
( that is awesome that Mark offered to take a look at your RS6 for ya!)

I am gonna say fuel pump or fuel pump relay/fuse. (Is that two guesses?)

skribe
February 19th, 2011, 05:45
Ben, did you call Pat?

ben916
February 19th, 2011, 05:49
Ben, did you call Pat?

Last Saturday, yes, as I couldn't recall the torque specs on the Apikol install.
Why? should I call him now? it is kinda late...

skribe
February 19th, 2011, 05:52
Hah, no. Was just giving you shite because your diagnosis was pretty solid with FP fuse or relay.

vitalian
February 19th, 2011, 06:01
You can make bets if you want to -- I'm a big girl and you won't hurt my feelings. I actually like seeing you all trying to figure it out. It's all to my educational benefit, so have at it!

ben916
February 19th, 2011, 06:07
I remember a thread about someone's 6 did the same thing on the FREEWAY, of all places, at rush hour and they had to push the heavy beast (and I type that in the most loving terms of endearment) to the side of the road and tow it.

I have yet to read/remember about an ECU going south...

vitalian
February 19th, 2011, 06:14
On the freeway? Ouch! The worst thing I had to contend with (other than the crazy toothless tow truck driver) was the urge to buy and consume a 6-pack at the convenience store where I broke down and consume the whole thing at 7:30 a.m. to ease my pain.

TozoM8
February 19th, 2011, 15:23
It is going to be the ignition switch or a park neutral safety switch. The first thing to try is to pull the shifter down to S and back to P a couple times and try it again. You can try it in N too. One time I saw a broken groung cable to the engine preventing to start.

vitalian
February 19th, 2011, 15:46
It is going to be the ignition switch or a park neutral safety switch. The first thing to try is to pull the shifter down to S and back to P a couple times and try it again. You can try it in N too. One time I saw a broken groung cable to the engine preventing to start.

I tried what you suggest several times. Nothing but "click." Just my luck it wasn't that simple!

PALETTE
February 19th, 2011, 16:58
You should have tried to turn off the Radio it may be beacuse you were listening to some girl music... LOL you know i'm teasing...

vitalian
February 19th, 2011, 17:07
You should have tried to turn off the Radio it may be beacuse you were listening to some girl music... LOL you know i'm teasing...

Of course I know you're teasing! But if you must know, I was listening to sports talk radio...how pathetic is that?

Are you all ready for the diagnosis?

And the winner is...(drumroll)

Elevens!

It's the starter. Parts on order. Car probably not ready until Friday. UGH!

(Now if I can just get some spinners for the 300 I'll be rolling until then...)

PALETTE
February 19th, 2011, 17:11
sorry for your pain there.. Hope they get it sooner for you..

If you want we can all post pictures of how our cars look today so you dont miss driving yours no wait that might make it worse.. LOL

On a Better note.. I'm ready for the DYNO!!

vitalian
February 19th, 2011, 17:30
sorry for your pain there.. Hope they get it sooner for you..

If you want we can all post pictures of how our cars look today so you dont miss driving yours no wait that might make it worse.. LOL

On a Better note.. I'm ready for the DYNO!!

At least someone's having fun today!

bcbeast
February 19th, 2011, 17:37
I've heard 300's love to be revved to 6000 rpms in neutral then dumped into drive at WOT......

vitalian
February 19th, 2011, 17:41
I've heard 300's love to be revved to 6000 rpms in neutral then dumped into drive at WOT......

SWEET! Gotta try that! (*wink*)

Aronis
February 19th, 2011, 19:18
In 6 years of ownership my Beast has never let me stranded, not even close. I guess I've been lucky. My only trip to the dealer was twice for failed DRC recall and the 35K service while the car was still on warranty.

Almost 8 years and 109,000 miles, never left stranded, many long trips, just as above DRC nightmare (but was always driveable).

Elevens
February 20th, 2011, 00:07
Of course I know you're teasing! But if you must know, I was listening to sports talk radio...how pathetic is that?

Are you all ready for the diagnosis?

And the winner is...(drumroll)

Elevens!

It's the starter. Parts on order. Car probably not ready until Friday. UGH!

(Now if I can just get some spinners for the 300 I'll be rolling until then...)

Glad to hear it was that simple Vitalian. That's kind of a fluke. I don't think the starters go too often on these cars. None that I've heard of anyway. Hopefully you'll be back on the road soon enjoying your Beast...........................

Jimmy Joe
February 20th, 2011, 00:57
Really sorry to hear that. I feel guilty about it, but you know? when things start a little rocky, it's a good sign that latter on they 'll evolve to much better, with a very happy ending. At least that`s what a very old mexican indian sorcerer told me long time ago. The beast is teasing you playing hard to get, don't give up, in the end you'll win.

vitalian
February 20th, 2011, 01:26
Don't feel "guilty," JJ! It's not like you guys didn't warn me that things would go wrong! And you know what? Even when the darn thing was sitting on the back of a tow truck, I couldn't help but look at it and think to myself, "Damn, that's a beautiful car!" I think that clearly shows I've caught the same bug that you guys all have.
:addict:
Like you and the old Mexican mystic said, I'll just enjoy the motoring experience that much more in the future.

mmaturo
February 20th, 2011, 05:48
Glad its getting covered. As I said to you mine has never left me stranded in anyway ever in 5+ years...even the tranny checking out gave me enough gears to make it to the dealer.

vitalian
February 20th, 2011, 18:03
All you guys saying your beast has never left you stranded is consistent with what the tow truck driver said (in between spouting his conspiracy theories -- don't ask). He said that in 25 years of driving a tow truck, mine was only the second Audi he'd ever towed. Don't know whether to view that as a positive or a negative. On the one hand, hopefully after I get a new starter my beast will never leave me stranded again. On the other hand, maybe I've one of the unlucky few who has a problem child on her hands. Time will tell. At least I'm getting a new starter out of the deal...

ben916
February 24th, 2011, 03:20
status????

speedtrapped
February 24th, 2011, 03:37
Where is Penolepe pit stop?

hahnmgh63
February 24th, 2011, 03:41
Speedtrapped, what is the diagnosis on your car? Turbo seals? Compression check?

vitalian
February 24th, 2011, 15:58
status????

Parts arrived at the dealership on Tuesday. Last I heard, the beast should be ready tomorrow. Penelope can't wait to get back on the road...

vitalian
February 24th, 2011, 16:36
Where is Penolepe pit stop?

Still stuck in the pits, but hoping to get out soon!:incar:

vitalian
March 3rd, 2011, 00:04
Update: Finally got the beast back today! Took a little joyride on some twisty roads in a hailstorm on the way home -- now I remember why I bought this car! And just for PALETTE's benefit, I cranked up the girliest girl music I own.

Watch out boys -- Penelope's out of the pits and back in the race!

SAF
March 3rd, 2011, 00:13
Time for make-up driving! ;)

ben916
March 3rd, 2011, 00:16
Update: Finally got the beast back today! Took a little joyride on some twisty roads in a hailstorm on the way home -- now I remember why I bought this car! And just for PALETTE's benefit, I cranked up the girliest girl music I own.

Girliest music?!?!?
proof please... :)

vitalian
March 3rd, 2011, 00:24
Are the Go Go's girls enough to qualify as the girliest? As Magic 8 Ball would say, "All signs point to 'yes.'"

PALETTE
March 3rd, 2011, 00:25

HAHAH that 8track must be jammed again!

That or your listening to Duran Duran to much!! LOL

Glad you got yours back! Enjoy..
I got a dreaded Checksum error yesterday but after a few calls with my Tuner we had it all sorted out and Big Poppa Is ruling the streets again

MaxRS6
March 3rd, 2011, 01:10
Congrats and enjoy the ride!