PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Washington auto road (NH)

rsjoe
September 29th, 2003, 15:01
For those of you in the northeast who want to experience just how good your RS6 is I would highly recommend the Mt. Washington auto road experience in NH. This is a beautiful time of year to do this. I suggest going mid week and later in the day. Wait at the bottom till there's significant time from the last car to start up and then let it rip. I would also suggest taking a change of underwear since this can be an "exciting" 8 mile trip. I actually passed another car on this road and the wife threatended to divorce me, once she opened her eyes at the top. The road is just wide enough for two cars and guard rails do not exist. Came down using first or second gear and barely had to use my brakes. Most people do this trip at about 10mph and the rally record is about 70mph avg. The handling abilities of the RS6 are most apparent on a road like this and the most difficulty occurs when you meet up with a car coming down as you're going up.

Finnus
September 29th, 2003, 15:29
RSJoe,

Thanks for the post - sounds like fun!

What was the weather like on top - it can get pretty nasty? I went up on an August day once. 85 degrees at the base, 40 degrees at the top with 50 or 60 mph gusts.

I'm surprised you didn't need the breaks coming down - how fast did you get going?

Finnus

:cheers:
:addict: :addict: :addict:

rsjoe
September 29th, 2003, 20:44
The day we went it was 75 degrees at the base and they posted that it was 49 degrees at the top. When we reached the top the RS6 was reading out 74 degrees and no one was wearing a jacket and very little wind. It was a beautiful, clear day. Speeds ranged from 10mph to 60mph. When a car was coming down I slowed down to 10mph and prayed that his depth perception was adequate so I wouldn't be pushed over the edge. I swear my wife put permanent finger indentations on the door handle.:D