PDA

View Full Version : I want it. Should I buy it?

vitalian
February 11th, 2011, 19:09
Calling all RS6 owners! I am strongly considering buying a 2003 RS6 (81K miles, one owner who took great care of it). Oh, how I love this car. My heart is still fluttering from the test drive.

The only thing that gives me pause is the cost of maintainance and repair (especially given Audi's not-so-great reputation in the reliability department). I really want to buy it, but I'm not a billionaire.

I'm looking for honest feedback from owners as to how reliable your cars have been. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
vitalian

ben916
February 11th, 2011, 19:40
Where are you located? Please update your location.
Which car is it?
Where is it?
When/what was the last service?

Who says that "who took great care of it"? The owner? The shop? The dealer?

Can you turn a wrench? :)
Can you open your wallet? :)

Look at the STICKY threads at the top of the RS6 / S6 / S8 thread http://www.rs6.com/forumdisplay.php/2-RS6-S6-S8

There are tons of threads on this topic.
Please search upon the following words:
DRC,
Tranny (that word makes me shiver)
Timing belt,
Rotors,
KWv3,
Statis,
PSS9,
Turbo,
PS2,
Mileage vs. Cost
Aftermarket warranty.

That should about do it!

Is this your first Audi?

vitalian
February 11th, 2011, 19:47
Thanks ben916. I'll search the terms you suggest.

I'm in the US Pacific Northwest, and the car is local (so no rust issues).

Car is at a dealership, all repair records available, all recommended maintainance done at appropriate times. The guy even had the car professionally cleaned and detailed about 6 times a year. Last maintainance was 75K service last January (no issues) and routine LOF in June.

I can turn a wrench on basic things, but I'd be opening my wallet for anything beyond basic.

Thanks for your help!

speedtrapped
February 12th, 2011, 00:05
I will add a little tale for ya....If u are worried about cost, buy rs6 with a solid warranty(i did not, but I also didnt mind dropping $$$)....car at stock is awesome, add mods and look out...car is sick. but remember car is 7+ years old so there could be maintenance issues....I built my beast up to a 424/505 at wheel gonzo mobile....but in process I may have blown driverside turbo....expensive to fix.......still I am sellimg my S8(07' CPO) because I enjoy driving the RS6 that much more! Its a blast and a love affair.

covertw12
February 12th, 2011, 00:41
A few other suggestions:

Can you look at the history for repeat issues.... especially tranny or o2 sensors ? Was the full 75k done ? I'd assume so but....... last ime it had fresh rotors/ pads ? they will eat them every 15-25k and it's expensive..... DRC recall ? I'd try to build room for KW3's in your offer.... you'll need them at some point. Front end ? upper control arms and joints are on borrowed time unless they've been done.

And after all that I'd REALLY suggest a warranty unless like Speedtrapped you are addicted to pain and speed ( perhaps not in that order....)

That said - it's the most bang for the buck you can find with 4 doors and all-weather capability.......plus there is the whole understated stealth factor....

Keep us posted on how you make out.....

vitalian
February 12th, 2011, 01:16
Thanks for the input, Beast Lovers! Still researching, but have never driven a car that spectacular! Looking at repair history, all recommended service was done at the recommended times, but will research the specific parts and issues you suggest.
Thanks again for the help!

hahnmgh63
February 12th, 2011, 01:38
Vitalian, I've seen that car your talking about at Barrier and it does look nice but I would offer them at least enough less to either walk out the door with or to cover an aftermarket warranty. Being that you are from the NW you know that Barrier is pretty much always overpriced and the NW in general. There was a beautiful one but with multiple owner but 16K less miles on the East coast recently for $21.5K. I hope you did get the Mx records as I see the carfax on lists Wash/detailed and no Mx shown.

vitalian
February 12th, 2011, 01:56
Barrier has the original owner's maintainence records - last major service was 75K service, and it had a lube/oil/ filter in June.
What I'm hearing from everyone is that the car is several K overpriced, which is no surprise with Barrier, and that I should definitely bargain down and get a warranty.

Thanks! You folks are great.

DHall1
February 12th, 2011, 05:42
There was a fairly low mileage unit at a local high end dealer a couple weeks back. I want to say it was that dealer in Seattle or a burb of Seattle. Avus/silver and 40k ish miles.

vitalian
February 12th, 2011, 17:02
Thanks for the tip!

ben916
February 12th, 2011, 18:10
There was a fairly low mileage unit at a local high end dealer a couple weeks back. I want to say it was that dealer in Seattle or a burb of Seattle. Avus/silver and 40k ish miles.

Fortunately, I know Seattle fairly well:
If you know where the Ferrari dealer off of 12th and E Madison, the one that Dave is suggesting is around that area, within a 2 block radius...
Upon searching Autotrader, it seems to be no longer available.
There are some excellent low mileage examples available... :)

vitalian
February 12th, 2011, 18:51
Yes, I looked on Autotrader also and the only one that came up near Seattle is the one at Barrier.

vitalian
February 13th, 2011, 02:06
Okay, here's the deal. I've done a ton of research and heard all the horror stories. I've been trying to talk myself out of buying this car for two days. The rational side of my brain says to buy an A4. Still, I can't get thats RS feeling out of my head.
My question to you is this: Is the pleasure worth the risk?

ben916
February 13th, 2011, 02:27
Okay, here's the deal. I've done a ton of research and heard all the horror stories. I've been trying to talk myself out of buying this car for two days. The rational side of my brain says to buy an A4. Still, I can't get thats RS feeling out of my head.
My question to you is this: Is the pleasure worth the risk?

YOU can answer that question by driving an A4 and then that RS6...
Another question to ask yourself: If you did get an A4, how much/many mods are you planning on doing?

With every horror story, how many XXX stories do you read about here??? Besides, we can't post every single great time or boost or kill or power slide or or or or....

vitalian
February 13th, 2011, 02:51
That's the spirit, Ben! Not every decision has to be rational.

Ben74
February 13th, 2011, 04:44
I have an oil cooler leak right now. Repair cost is $3,500. Thanks to amazing work by the service department at Carousel Audi in Minneapolis, MN it is covered by my warranty. Otherwise big cost... or live with very slow coolant leak. My experience is that it is a very costly car to maintain. I hope I can afford to keep driving it for many years to come.

Ben

vitalian
February 13th, 2011, 04:52
Thanks for the comment. More food for thought.

ben916
February 13th, 2011, 04:55
Now it is more of a question of WHEN versus IF...

Jimmy Joe
February 13th, 2011, 05:03
Vitalian. I know exactly what you are talking about. I am also a new member with three months of ownership on my beast. I went through a lot of hand wringing and soul searching before I took the jump. My car has only 23K but not a day passes by thinking what'll go first, ¿the TC?, ¿DRC?, what about the brakes? Expensive!. And the the tires at $ 760.00 dollars each? In Mexico there is not mechanical insurance at any price, so you are on your own. And if you think you can drop your beast at the stealership, think again, 'cause they`ll tell you what is that thing that looks like an A6 parked outside? I'm not rich by any means, not even well off, in fact, I don't even know how I am going to fix the beast when something breaks, AND I DON'T CARE! I'll deal with it the same way I have with every issue on my life. Buying a beast is a lot like marriage. you weight the pros and cons, and in the end , it's an emotional decision. I have been lucky on my 20 years marriage, but there is no guarantee. But when I rest my gaze on the understated, timeless, beautiful lines of my RS6 parked in my garage, and reflect on the pleasure and satisfaction I derive from its sole ownership,it is worth it. Not to mention that you'll take the long way out running errands every time you drive it and how the traffic and other cars seem to be at a different level when you are at the wheel. Experiences like this outside the automotive realm can get you in jail or ruin your healt, possibly both. An also very important, is something that you can share with the wife and kids. (mine love it). So, in the end, you only live once, so don`t chicken out and go for it. ¿Don't work for you?, you can always sell it, In my humble opinion, do not pass on the opportunity to be an active member of the best automotive forum on the planet!

Best Regards and good luck!

Jimmy Joe

skribe
February 13th, 2011, 13:28
^^ well said, JJ.

Buy it well and you can always get out if you change your mind. Better to regret your mistakes than live life too safe.

Personally I've never regretted buying the RS 6 for a second.

Aronis
February 13th, 2011, 15:42
JJ, you cannot get access to TireRack in Mexico City? Tires are about $1200 for a set of four, delevered. Can't you drive across the boarder to pick them up?

As far as brakes are concerned they are quite easy on the RS6. Don't mess with the rusted in PINS, just remove the caliper and replace the pads from the inside, MUCH easier. I have been without those back plates on mine since 80,000 when I changed them, now at 109,000 no brake issues. On the drivers side I drilled out the pins, but in doing so I had to remove the caliper anyway to drill the back side, then I released I was fooled, the pads came out lickity split from the inside! The passenger side took 20 minutes. The rears are even easier. and the rotors? 7 minutes including removing and replacing the wheel! well maybe 15 minutes each, just remove the caliper (two bolts) and the rotor swap takes 30 seconds!

vitalian
February 13th, 2011, 16:42
JJ, thank you so much. That was just what I needed to hear. My mission is now clear: get ready for battle and get the best damn deal I can on that gorgeous beast...with a warranty too. I also have to get my husband to drive it- I have a feeling all his doubts will disappear when I get him behind the wheel of the RS6. He's not as much of a speed junkie as I am, but I think he'll get the bug pretty quick.
Thank you all for your thoughts. Wish me luck!

JSRS6
February 13th, 2011, 19:35
Welcome to the forum. Your presence is a rarity on this forum. Good luck with the car search.

vitalian
February 13th, 2011, 19:44
Thanks! I'm assuming you're saying my presence is a rarity because I lack the Y chromosome. (*winks*) Glad to be here!

JSRS6
February 13th, 2011, 19:46
Thanks! I'm assuming you're saying my presence is a rarity because I lack the Y chromosome. (*winks*) Glad to be here!

Yeah, I think you'll fit in here just fine. Do you have preferences on your future beast? Int/ext, options, upgrades?

vitalian
February 13th, 2011, 19:52
The one I test drove is Mugello Blue with Ebony interior and it's loaded. If I get an aftermarket warranty I won't mod it for a while, but I'll be looking into it...

JSRS6
February 13th, 2011, 19:56
Good combo! That was my first choice to pay homage to my previous S4, which was santorin, a close color.

vitalian
February 13th, 2011, 20:13
It is very sweet- And the original owner removed the chrome tags on the rear end that identify it as an RS6, so it's even more of a stealth bomber.

JSRS6
February 13th, 2011, 20:41
covertw12 went that way, took off ALL his rear emblems and blacked out all his trim. I chose to keep my emblems, just black them out as well as everything else.

1100311004:addict:

PALETTE
February 13th, 2011, 21:50
lake of a warranty might make you want to think twice, as a daily car its a rocket, respect it and it will last you a long time. regular maintanace is with any car, im sure you know that. no better car for the money. hands down. keep us posted

vitalian
February 13th, 2011, 21:57
Thanks. Will get a warranty for sure. Only 90 RS6s in Canada, eh? The hubby and I have property in BC, and the thought of driving a beast on the backroads there almost makes me weep!

PALETTE
February 13th, 2011, 22:28
Thanks. Will get a warranty for sure. Only 90 RS6s in Canada, eh? The hubby and I have property in BC, and the thought of driving a beast on the backroads there almost makes me weep!

A come on! it would roar through the back roads! kinda like me taking the car to Calabria!

Jimmy Joe
February 14th, 2011, 01:30
Aronis, when the time comes I might go and get my tires on the USA. As you stated, no problem with the brakes except possibly the price on parts, but the point I was trying to make is that the beast are so special, compared to anything else, that they are worth the price in money and sacrifices. Just think you are lucky to own a thoroughbred horse and treat it accordingly.
Vitalian, what a nice surprise you being a girl! I used to know a girl when I worked at a car magazine that knew as much about cars as any of the guys, and drove as well, if not better, than many of us. ¡How refreshing! Get to know your Beast and it`ll repay you in kind. ¡Congratulations!

vitalian
February 14th, 2011, 01:40
Thanks JJ! Going back to the dealer tomorrow to see what kind of deal I can get, Wish me luck! And yes, some of us girls love cars too! I'm my daddy's girl in that sense- we worked on cars together when I was a kid, and I caught the car bug early. My first car was a '72 Malibu wagon with an engine that made the ozone layer cry when you stepped on the gas.
Anyway, I'm rambling, but I'll be getting ready to do battle for the beast tomorrow!

JSRS6
February 14th, 2011, 01:41

So what does your handle mean?

vitalian
February 14th, 2011, 01:46
It's a combination of letters from my first and last names, not necessarily in that order, and I liked the way it sounded.

JSRS6
February 14th, 2011, 01:56
It's a combination of letters from my first and last names, not necessarily in that order, and I liked the way it sounded.

Haha, I just figured you were Italian and you had a v in your name. Good luck tomorrow! Kick ass.

ben916
February 14th, 2011, 03:40
... I also have to get my husband to drive it...

Having a speed junkie (as in vehicles) female/lady on the forum is refreshing!
Sallyh has a C6 RS6 in Australia and there are some other ladies on some of the other Audi forums.

Not modding it??? pffsstt...
That will last until you meet up with Mark at the Wednesdays GTG in Seattle and you will see one of the rarest color combos and hear/see/ooze all the noise/power/lights/etc -> the bug will hit and HARD!

vitalian
February 14th, 2011, 04:26
Can't wait to catch that bug!

And no, JS6RS6, not Italian - Croatian, which means just as crazy!

JSRS6
February 14th, 2011, 04:43

I won't say I know, but I've been to Split. :hihi:

vitalian
February 14th, 2011, 04:56
Split isn't far from where my family's from - Komiza on the island of Vis.

mmaturo
February 14th, 2011, 06:56
Now it is more of a question of WHEN versus IF...

Going to have to agree. As I think i have had the biggest rolling disaster here I can say yes the damn thing really is worth it. It still gives me a grin every time i drive it even after almost 6 years with it. I have been looking for 3 years for a replacement and nothing does it. BMW and MB AMG a no go without AWD (and not doing it design wise or interior quality) and Porsche can kiss my big ass with the big ass on the Panamera. Just too ugly and too expensive. My car has had pretty much everything replaced so is like new so has been treating me very well since my CPO ran out well over a year ago. But i did retire it from the everyday driver so it now shares duty which has helped a lot so nothing but pads and oil change for all of 2010 although i do need rotors, just running them down to nothing. This car requires $$ for maintenance which the searches dig up...it eats brakes and tires but today there is cheaper sources for everything than their was years ago but rotors are still $800 which compared to just 3 or 4 years ago thats a bargain. If your roads are good you will not eat control arm bushings like I do (and CV boots it seems). X factor is the transmission/torque converter...some people no issues, some people...well just aren't so lucky

Roger
February 14th, 2011, 12:58
If any one else is looking I'll be selling my RS6 with 44k miles shortly. Even though I never had a problem, I just had the DRC recall done...it's perfect. Lets face it, with all new shocks the car rides like new. Just installed new tires and will have it detailed before listing it. I haven't posted much lately but have been a member here for years. My RS6 has been a trouble free wonder. I'll post all details in a couple of weeks when I'm ready.

vitalian
February 14th, 2011, 13:46
Thanks for the input mmaturo. It's pretty remarkable that you've had so many issues and still love the car. That's really saying something.

MaxRS6
February 14th, 2011, 14:40

Welcome aboard the

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Ozzy%20at%20Emerald/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg?t=1293713060

and good luck on the hunt!

vitalian
February 14th, 2011, 14:54
Choo-choo!

vitalian
February 14th, 2011, 20:47
At the dealer now reviewing repair records. No recurring tranny issues, DRC has been done, brakes done, looks like most things that go wrong have been taken care of...

vitalian
February 14th, 2011, 21:27
Update: I'm buying the BEAST! (And a comprehensive aftermarket warranty.)

JSRS6
February 14th, 2011, 21:31
Update: I'm buying the BEAST! (And a comprehensive aftermarket warranty.)

Congrats! Take some pics for later posting. Did you wow the dealer with your knowledge of the beast? Was he surprised that you were buying it? You should get a pic of his face too if this is the case! How was the test drive? Solo or no?

vitalian
February 14th, 2011, 21:53
Yes, they were pretty surprised when I started plowing through the maintainence records and started checking off things like the DRC and other stuff you guys told me to check for! They're washing and detailing it now. Will take pics. I'm so excited!!!

MaxRS6
February 14th, 2011, 22:42
That is great- Win/Win for the car and a driver that will enjoy it!

vitalian
February 15th, 2011, 01:39
The beast is ALL MINE! Thank all of you for your help and encouragement. Looking forward to sharing my adventures with you!

ben916
February 15th, 2011, 01:58
The beast is ALL MINE! Thank all of you for your help and encouragement. Looking forward to sharing my adventures with you!

Photos please :)

vitalian
February 15th, 2011, 02:02
You bet yer butt!

ben916
February 15th, 2011, 04:47
you must be busy driving it

vitalian
February 15th, 2011, 04:56
Will take pics in the daytime tomorrow.

Jimmy Joe
February 15th, 2011, 05:29
Yes! Yes! Yes!, and as ttboost says, "Pics or BAN"!! Just Kidding!

micdee
February 15th, 2011, 10:27
:applause: Congrats with the V8biet miss.

:idea: just checked the terms here ... and uhmmmm I'm certain it says pics, pics and more pics...

:hahahehe:

vitalian
February 15th, 2011, 16:04

Guys, I know these are the WORST PICTURES EVER, but as you can see, it was still dark and raining when I left for work this morning. Better pics will follow, I promise! (I just wanted to post SOMETHING so I wouldn't get kicked off the island for violating the "pics, pics and more pics" rule!)

You guys have been so helpful and encouraging. I really can't thank you enough!

Cheers!

hahnmgh63
February 15th, 2011, 16:10
Looks nice, I expect to see it at Feierabend by REI at one of the informal Audi club beer nights on Wednesdays. I myself only go about once every 6 weeks but let me know when you can make it and I'll bring mine and see if I can get a couple other RS6's to show up.

vitalian
February 15th, 2011, 16:15
Thanks, I will definitely do that! It would be great to meet some other beast lovers in person!:addict:

speedtrapped
February 15th, 2011, 16:33
congrads! nice p/u have fun....the're addictive

mmaturo
February 15th, 2011, 17:16

Congrats! Great color. Sounds like a good one. Every stop light is a potential grin.