PDA

View Full Version : Oil consumption....how thirtsy?

speedtrapped
February 11th, 2011, 15:34
Ok until and If the seller of the nasty RS6 and consummate a deal, I have to deal with an issue on my current engine. My oil level light came on lastnight. I changed the oil in my beast about 1k miles ago with BND and fluid was at midway between the marks. So I had some extra BND, car took 1 1/2 quarts! seems like alot of oil for the car to burn thru in a 1k miles? I just replaced the bleeder valve, pancakes are on backorder(removed one lastnight, but consfused on how the work) pcv lines are clean. As stated in earlier threads, car will smoke occassionaly on cold start up at idle.....again blown turbo?...vag 115, no issues...plenty of boost...should I be concerned?, would catch cans(which I have not installed yet) make a diff?

V8weight
February 11th, 2011, 15:46
Catch cans aren't going to help your situation. It could be that your turbo seals are starting to go. They'll still make full boost.......for now, until the impeller shafts go. Sounds like we have our first Eurocharged turbo meltdown.

speedtrapped
February 11th, 2011, 15:55
wow, really I wasnt asking for a EC dump, but ty....and if I swap, I trust Jerry to mod the ecu with the new engine set up

hahnmgh63
February 11th, 2011, 15:57
Mine only uses about 1/2 qt between oil changes which I do every 5000~6000 miles with Redline.

V8weight
February 11th, 2011, 16:03
wow, really I wasnt asking for a EC dump, but ty....and if I swap, I trust Jerry to mod the ecu with the new engine set up
Was a joke.......

MaxRS6
February 11th, 2011, 16:11
I have rarely put oil in my car- It is changed approximately every 5K and the level just doesn't move a lot when there isn't an issue. 1.5 quarts consumed in 1K for me would be reason for concern

MaxRS6
February 11th, 2011, 16:13
Was a joke.......

Whooooooooosh!!!!

marklar182
February 11th, 2011, 16:17
Pull your IC hoses and see if you can find the missing oil.

Also you could pull the spark plugs and see if any have oil residue.

Elevens
February 11th, 2011, 16:18
Something wrong there, put over 6000 miles on mine since the last oil change and dip stick still reports full. Using Pentosin Diesel Spec 5W40 oil.......

speedtrapped
February 11th, 2011, 16:27
I figured pat, I am a little testy today...sorry, guess the engine swap is making more and more sense....if i need turbos, better tranny

MaxRS6
February 11th, 2011, 16:32
You might take the undershield off and see if there are oil spots, and to see if any spots develop under the car with it off. The shield can catch the oil and prevent it from hitting the ground noticeably.

speedtrapped
February 11th, 2011, 16:54
I hear ya Max, but the car was apart(bumper) 4 days ago for the snow kit on a lift, my mechanic knows smoke issue, he didnt alert me to puddling(he 1st told me 2 weeks ago, blown turbo)

SteveKen
February 11th, 2011, 17:22
I'm sure there's a direct correlation to your smoking problem that you've posted about before.

I'm thinking turbos as well, but what else could cause this? Maybe an oil supply line banjo bolt fitting, etc?

You can always do a compression and leakdown test on it.

This was Duck's old car, so can he help you out with any history, etc.?

Hy Octane
February 11th, 2011, 17:26
Mine used half a quart during break in and none since then,,, Dosent burn any between oil changes every 5k. Using Castrol since new..

speedtrapped
February 11th, 2011, 17:29
I am still going to check banjo, but doesnt explain smoke w/in exhaust pipe....explains smoking in rear of engine compartment

4everRS
February 11th, 2011, 17:32
If the engine swap makes sense now, it sounds like it will continue to keep making more and more sense as time goes on for your current motor. Mine uses zero oil. Only car I've ever had that the dipstick never changes. I suppose that the half cup that my lower IC hose catches does come from somewhere, but besides that nothing. This is with and without BND fluids.

ben916
February 11th, 2011, 18:34
Maybe an oil supply line banjo bolt fitting, etc?

This was Duck's old car, so can he help you out with any history, etc.?

That was what I was initially thinking.
Wouldn't a toasted turbo be smoking all the time???

'Trapped is the third owner of that car, 904895.
I know that Duck is not using his DWD login, (possibly another to just lurk?).
One thing I did question to him was this scenario: He would just start the car and go, no warm up, no letting all those mysterious noises/whistling/pressuring/system checks/etc. He just started it and would go. I didn't notice if he would let the H2O/Oil come up to temp before hammering it.

skribe
February 11th, 2011, 19:14
Generally, these cars don't burn oil... with OEM oil and three changes in 12k, my car has burned exactly none.

Pull your lower IC tube, if you have no oil in there, your turbo seals are gone in my amateur opinion.

speedtrapped
February 11th, 2011, 20:55
well engine swap is going to happen, post approved PPI....once mine out mechanic is going to check VC seals, rear Cam seals, turbos....clean it up and sell my engine and tranny

DHall1
February 12th, 2011, 05:51
Given the car went thru the prev owner dwd and the situation with a repo.....its may not be a leap to imagine a lack of proper care. Also not a good sign that dwd just jumped in the car and took off as a routine. That said, proper diagnosis needs to be determined. Find the source of the oil leak outside the engine and pull the intercooler hoses again and inspect. And finally, boost is boost. If the turbo blew running 1.0 bar of boost then any flash would have dealt the same cards. Hell, for that matter the stock boost level of .6 bar would have ended up with a similar result just a few more miles down the road.

That was what I was initially thinking.
Wouldn't a toasted turbo be smoking all the time???

'Trapped is the third owner of that car, 904895.
I know that Duck is not using his DWD login, (possibly another to just lurk?).
One thing I did question to him was this scenario: He would just start the car and go, no warm up, no letting all those mysterious noises/whistling/pressuring/system checks/etc. He just started it and would go. I didn't notice if he would let the H2O/Oil come up to temp before hammering it.

speedtrapped
February 12th, 2011, 15:48
Dave sent ya a text, project X.....believe or not Dion has ,y engine/ driveline sold! When he drops my engine, we will look for issue with turbo or something else...when I do find culprit I will share with all......Dave the project X beast has me licking my chops, texted Jerry as well, dion thinks he will push north 700hp

V8weight
February 12th, 2011, 18:38
Stephen, just for my own curiosity, what oil filter were you using on your car?

speedtrapped
February 12th, 2011, 19:04
Bnd......

vodeftones
February 12th, 2011, 23:09
When I worked at the dealer I saw probably half a dozen 4.2 motors short blocks get replaced for oil consumption, probably the most common motor we replaced for oil consumption. Not sure the reason for it because they Audi wants the parts back unmolested but they would go from no oil consumption to massive oil consumption like a quart every 500 to 1000 miles. Granted organic shit oil, possible poor maintenance etc but it did happen. I have never seen a RS6 eat oil though. Mine doesn't eat a drop.

skribe
February 13th, 2011, 00:09
When I worked at the dealer I saw probably half a dozen 4.2 motors short blocks get replaced for oil consumption, probably the most common motor we replaced for oil consumption. Not sure the reason for it because they Audi wants the parts back unmolested but they would go from no oil consumption to massive oil consumption like a quart every 500 to 1000 miles. Granted organic shit oil, possible poor maintenance etc but it did happen. I have never seen a RS6 eat oil though. Mine doesn't eat a drop.

V8 S4's burn oil. RS 6's don't...