PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Removal

wmgarton
February 11th, 2011, 02:35
Does anyone have info on removing tranny without removing the engine?
After the downpipes have been removed, Do the turbos need to be removed?
Anyone with details on the removal?

Thanks
Bill

speedtrapped
February 11th, 2011, 03:06
Bill, I was at my mechanics last week, he was swapping a tranny, the engine cradle was lowered, not removed, shocks and control arms attached to cradle were also removed from body, he had 2 tranverse bars holding engine, engine mounts removed, he did not remove turbos, he angled engine down enough to remove tranny....ask pat or tozo they can describe in more detail

TozoM8
February 11th, 2011, 03:47
The pass side turbo has to be removed from the exhaust manifold. There are two bell housing bolts behind it.

wmgarton
February 11th, 2011, 06:08
Thanks Speedtrapped and Tozo.
I thought the right turbo needed to be removed.
I tried, but couldn't loosen the bolts/nuts on the top of the right turbo. I even used some penetrating fluid!
Tozo, what's the secret, or technique?
Do I need to use heat?

Bill

MORS6
February 11th, 2011, 17:43
Thanks Speedtrapped and Tozo.
I thought the right turbo needed to be removed.
I tried, but couldn't loosen the bolts/nuts on the top of the right turbo. I even used some penetrating fluid!
Tozo, what's the secret, or technique?
Do I need to use heat?

Bill

This won't be much help but as an eye witness - It appears you need to sacrifice a pound of blood and skin to the turbo bolt gods. Then re-tap the threads when the bolts finally come out. I suspect those bolts get so hot they're practically melted into place. Tozo may have some insight and advice.

TozoM8
February 11th, 2011, 18:14
I try not to use heat if I can get away with it because the RS6 has a lot of stuff around that area. Use a triple square in the nut and a box end outside.

bilko1
February 11th, 2011, 23:00
I try not to use heat if I can get away with it because the RS6 has a lot of stuff around that area. Use a triple square in the nut and a box end outside.

Sorry to sound dumb but what's a triple square and box end in English tools? I'm guessing the triple square is a 12 point socket or spanner (wrench in American i think)

JSRS6
February 11th, 2011, 23:42
Correct, 12 point. Box end is the closed end(six point) of a combination wrench.

wmgarton
February 12th, 2011, 00:15
Thanks Tozo and everyone else, I'll give it another go!

Bill

vodeftones
February 12th, 2011, 22:59
I'm sure this can be done if all goes well but what if it doesn't, this sounds risky if you don't have a means to get the engine out if you have to. Best thing i always hoped for was that the turbo studs and nuts came out as one, threadchase the turbos and get new hardware