PDA

View Full Version : APR Chipped and Fidelity Warranty

GeorgeS
February 8th, 2011, 14:47
Short time reader, first time caller. I recently purchased 2003 RS6 with 37K and looking to extend existing Fidelity warranty. Dealer here in FLA wants $7,100 for 5 yr 60K...ouch. I am willing to pay in light of all I have read in forum (which I love btw) but the car is chipped with APR. Am I wasting my time with warranty purchase if it will be null and void. My research yielded mixed opinons on this issue. Appreciate any assitance.

JSRS6
February 8th, 2011, 15:08
For that mileage, try and get them down some. And if you are going to get one, get one. If you are worried about the dealer finding out about the APR chip, don't. Switch it back to stock on the stalk, or use the security lockout, so it won't even register if you try and use the stalk(pm 4everRS). The other option is to find a good Indy shop down there(shouldn't be hard). They REALLY shouldn't care.

GeorgeS
February 8th, 2011, 15:33
Advise on security lockout noted and appeciated. State of FL regulates all auto warranties so price is not negotiable (so I'm told by 3 adit dealers). I had same issue with extended warranty on 2007 Acura MDX. Back then I brought in an out of state quotes and they suggested I move. Nice. They say it's protection against fradualent pricing.

JSRS6
February 8th, 2011, 16:40
Advise on security lockout noted and appeciated. State of FL regulates all auto warranties so price is not negotiable (so I'm told by 3 adit dealers). I had same issue with extended warranty on 2007 Acura MDX. Back then I brought in an out of state quotes and they suggested I move. Nice. They say it's protection against fradualent pricing.

Sounds like somebody down there is lining their pockets...

DHall1
February 8th, 2011, 20:03
Is this anything like the way FL regulated mortgages and gangster banks? Sounds about the same.

As for APR. Yes you can switch to stock but the hard chip is always in the ecu. If they ever take the cover off then game over.

SAFE4NOW
February 8th, 2011, 20:57
It's all in how the claim is handled. IF your advisor likes you then he never mentions it. IF the advisor doesn't it will be the first thing out of his mouth when submitting a claim.

An inspector will look for sign of aftermarket parts and upgrades, software is hard to prove. ( I actually had one ask if I would put a car on our Dyno to show actual HP! )

Unless it ( software ) actually caused the failure, they cannot " void " anything ( Per Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act )

I haven't had a problem in over 1000 claims , some I am sure had something aftermarket .... just never the cause

Steve

SAFE4NOW
February 8th, 2011, 20:58
Is this anything like the way FL regulated mortgages and gangster banks? Sounds about the same.

As for APR. Yes you can switch to stock but the hard chip is always in the ecu. If they ever take the cover off then game over.

Was APR an actual E-Prom in the Rs6 ?

S

marklar182
February 8th, 2011, 21:31
Was APR an actual E-Prom in the Rs6 ?

S

Back in the day yes it was an actual chip. I believe they cracked it, and it is now just a flash.

ben916
February 8th, 2011, 21:41
So what the heck do you, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and in rare cases 6th, the owner do if something was installed and not disclosed at time of purchase?
Case in point: someone found out with an "early Christmas present" when they tried to upgrade to Eurocharged ECU tune and low/behold, there was an APR ECU chip in there??!?!?!?

Can't deny the warranty claim that as it wasn't disclosed upon original purchase. What is the new owner suppose to do? Return it to OEM and then purchase an aftermarket warranty? I would argue that it would be the warranty company's fiduciary (yep, I know that word) responsibility to inspect the vehicle PRIOR to writing the policy. Otherwise, the owness (s.i.c.) is on the warranty company to PROVE it was a modification/upgrade because they have no record of the current state prior to the policy being written.

It is like saying that XXX warranty company, or Audi for that matter, denying original warranty claims b/c an owner DIDN'T purchase PS2's or Conti in the first 4yr/48k.

please tell me I am wrong...

Edit: I am rethinking what I wrote due to this (Per Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act) )) - Thanks SAFE4NOW

4everRS
February 9th, 2011, 03:31
I am the "someone" ben speaks of. Found I had APR software. It is a chip soldered onto the board. It is the ONLY way I found it. It was in security lockout mode. Up to that point I had data logged several times, and did 2 dynojet runs. No way in hell can you detect there is a chip, without looking that is, as Dave has said. I think they may still be soldering the chip on the board. This allows the 4 different programs able to switched n the fly using the cruise stalk. I don't have a warranty. (those sound like famous last words huh?)

GeorgeS
February 9th, 2011, 17:46
Leaning towards the warranty plunge with APR "silenced". I agree when you pay for a long term service contract, it is the responsibility of the company accepting full payment to investigate possible deal killers (excluding downright fraud of course).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

SAFE4NOW
February 10th, 2011, 01:46
.... and don't get me wrong... they WILL check, random audit's happen no matter how well the advisor handles it.

Fraud is fraud and I don't support that, but when we're talking about things that fail on ALL Audi's ( read upper control arms ) don't tell me it's not covered because I have a Stasis suspension installed at factory ride height! ( LoL )

S

SAFE4NOW
February 10th, 2011, 01:48
Leaning towards the warranty plunge with APR "silenced". I agree when you pay for a long term service contract, it is the responsibility of the company accepting full payment to investigate possible deal killers (excluding downright fraud of course).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

LMK if you want to lean my way, I'd be happy to help another fellow Rs6 member....

Heck, I'll throw in free entry to the 2011 State Meet if anyone buys a new policy this month!

Steve

DHall1
February 10th, 2011, 05:55
Magnuson-Moss Act.

Everyone copy that link. Thanks Steve

You still havin that meet in the snow? ;-)

It's all in how the claim is handled. IF your advisor likes you then he never mentions it. IF the advisor doesn't it will be the first thing out of his mouth when submitting a claim.

An inspector will look for sign of aftermarket parts and upgrades, software is hard to prove. ( I actually had one ask if I would put a car on our Dyno to show actual HP! )

Unless it ( software ) actually caused the failure, they cannot " void " anything ( Per Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act )

I haven't had a problem in over 1000 claims , some I am sure had something aftermarket .... just never the cause

Steve

SAFE4NOW
February 10th, 2011, 14:03
Snow... um yes... LoL... It's actually all gone, you know we are in Texas... Snow and Ice one day, mid-60's the next ( tomorrow )

It'll be worth it for everyone to make it!

Steve