PDA

View Full Version : 8 Quarts of oil right?

bcbeast
February 8th, 2011, 06:02
Just changed oil and filter, 8 quarts castrol OEM. I have yet to perform the BND total fluid transfusion. Next time......
It appears the oil is over full, reading above the plastic guard on d-stick.

Any risk to engine damage?

Is 8 quarts too much?

Or am I being OCD?

TozoM8
February 8th, 2011, 13:20
Yes. You need to get it between the marks.

hahnmgh63
February 8th, 2011, 14:36
Maybe a silly question but did you start it up afterwards, let it idle for a minute, shut it off and check it in 5 to 10 minutes? I'm anal and fill my oil filter before I install it but most put them on dry and if the car isn't run the filter holds 1/2 qt of oil.

speedtrapped
February 8th, 2011, 15:05
yes u are anal.....but dont worry 99% of who own a beast are anal retentive about our beloved beast

JSRS6
February 8th, 2011, 15:10
Maybe a silly question but did you start it up afterwards, let it idle for a minute, shut it off and check it in 5 to 10 minutes? I'm anal and fill my oil filter before I install it but most put them on dry and if the car isn't run the filter holds 1/2 qt of oil.

Probably, but then so am I. I have always done that with the filters. My dad taught me that when I was little, rebuilding old blazers and 1st gen dsm's.

bcbeast
February 8th, 2011, 15:36
I have run it for 30 miles or so and let it rest. Still over the line. I might extract half a quart with a syringe.

JSRS6
February 8th, 2011, 16:46
I have run it for 30 miles or so and let it rest. Still over the line. I might extract half a quart with a syringe.

That would take a LONG time. It would be a lot easier to remove your "sound dampener", put something under the car to catch the oil, and loosen the oil filter a tad. You dont want to loosen the drain plug due to the crush washer. If you jack up the front pass. side, and remove the wheel, the filter is pretty easy to get to that way. Thats the route i put mine in through.

snoopra
February 9th, 2011, 01:38
+2. Always fill the oil filter, helps prevent that sec or two of starvation while filling after initial start.:)

Aronis
February 9th, 2011, 01:43
7.5 liters is the correct amount.

4everRS
February 9th, 2011, 03:05
That's what I thought
7.5 liters is the correct amount.

bcbeast
February 10th, 2011, 07:00
I extracted half a quart and the level is just right. I don't think that extra oil was enough to cause frothing by the crank, but it never hurts to be a little ocd. Apparently the big risk on over filling comes from the crank whipping up the oil causing air bubbles to be suspended in the oil making it appear frothy. Thus ineffectively lubricating internals and allowing air in the oil pump. Good to know.... 7.5 Quarts it is.