PDA

View Full Version : Tranny replacement with out engine drop, saw it with my own eyes....

speedtrapped
February 8th, 2011, 02:10
I dropped the beast off at drive autoworks for dion and crew to install the snow stage 3. He was doing an extensive overhaul on a dark blue RS6, TB, new tranny... Car was on lift and new tranny attached, je had engine cradle hanging, and used 2 engine tranverse bars, said it saved them a full day in labor not to have drop engine/tranny. A fresh rebuilt ZF from Audi, $5k plus labor....he said new stock is stronger, but not upgraded for more HP...but I got to tell ya, when my tranny does go, it's going to him, for 517 TC and modified ZF.

ttboost
February 8th, 2011, 02:12
Cool. We plan to do that to mine too, hopefully soon...just ordered an Ace Converter...well...on the list anyway...

TozoM8
February 8th, 2011, 02:29
Yep, it comes out in 3 1/2 hours.

SteveKen
February 8th, 2011, 17:31
...but I got to tell ya, when my tranny does go, it's going to him, for 517 TC and modified ZF.

Bah. Go 01E. More power to the pavement and you should only have to do it only once.

My car goes on the dyno for a baseline tomorrow.

speedtrapped
February 8th, 2011, 17:35
true, but i'm not sure i want to drop $10k...i would luv stick

SteveKen
February 8th, 2011, 17:46
$5k plus labor is close enough to 10k for me. With the automatic, you might have to repeat the process, too.

I've got about $5200 in parts for the conversion, this includes the retail cost of my adapter, trans rebuild kit and a new tallest .56 6th gear set.

No labor, though. I do all my own work.

speedtrapped
February 8th, 2011, 17:53
well, that mod is way above my abilities...I know Matt has done this, but alas he is a west coast guy...if we had a shop that has performed this swap on east coast I would consider, Dion @ driveautowrks tried talking me out of it, they know their Audis and have done a great work on my car. But he seems to not really want to tackle the swap.

SteveKen
February 8th, 2011, 18:07
Stay tuned and if your TC/trans hold out, I'm thinking of doing the swaps on the side.

Hopefully I'll be proficient in rebuilding the 01E, too.

This, plus buying and selling the cars already converted.

I still have visions of a 6 spd RS6 avant, too. My wife is gong to love me. lol.

JSRS6
February 8th, 2011, 18:25
$5k plus labor is close enough to 10k for me. With the automatic, you might have to repeat the process, too.

I've got about $5200 in parts for the conversion, this includes the retail cost of my adapter, trans rebuild kit and a new tallest .56 6th gear set.

No labor, though. I do all my own work.

Ditto. I am going to do this next year after I get back from the sandbox. I hope the adapter will be readily available by then, as well as sourcing for a different starter. Hmmm, maybe I'll just take a trip to PA...

speedtrapped
February 8th, 2011, 18:27
sweet.....keep us posted

JSRS6
February 8th, 2011, 19:04
I still have visions of a 6 spd RS6 avant, too. My wife is gong to love me. lol.

So will daves wife, after you sell him one...:hihi:

JSRS6
February 8th, 2011, 19:06
sweet.....keep us posted

Looks like you are running out of signature space, Stephen. :hihi:

yokust
February 8th, 2011, 19:18
Bah. Go 01E. More power to the pavement and you should only have to do it only once.

HAHAHAHAHA once, come on man

We all know that with this power, clutches are going to be getting toasted. And since high power S4 2.7t's destroy 01E internals, what do you think a V8TT with more torque is going to do

ben916
February 8th, 2011, 19:25

We all know that with this power, clutches are going to be getting toasted. And since high power S4 2.7t's destroy 01E internals, what do you think a V8TT with more torque is going to do

What does the RS4 4.2 use for manual trans?
What did Champion Motorsports use for their campaigned RS6? IIRC, it was the 01E 6 speed, but don't quote me on it. :)

JSRS6
February 8th, 2011, 20:07
Maybe we should try and source some of the "f1 inspired, six-speed" sequential transmissions that Gumpert mated to our tweaked rs6 engines...they obviously fit.

Brav
February 8th, 2011, 20:15
I don't know of any sequential AWD trannies that would work in our cars under $40-50k or so.. that would be awesome however!

speedtrapped
February 8th, 2011, 20:37
nice josh, true I think I am going to become a little more economical with my sig and just state, Modded....

yokust
February 8th, 2011, 22:28
What does the RS4 4.2 use for manual trans?
What did Champion Motorsports use for their campaigned RS6? IIRC, it was the 01E 6 speed, but don't quote me on it. :)

B7 RS4 uses a modifed 01E, but basiclly same transmission. But they only make 340ft/lbs of torque at the crank, so not nearly what our cars make to the ground. And I have seen many of those trans trashed at the dealer from people beating them up.

Champion has used Advanced Automotion to build the trans for both of the RS4 and RS6 race cars they had.

This is the same kit 034 used in there B5 VR6 race car. Only $8000 for parts alone. I have put one of these trans in a GT28 B5 S4 for a guy at work. It was awesome to drive
http://www.advancedautomotion.com/product_info.php?cPath=69_52_142&products_id=148

SteveKen
February 9th, 2011, 12:34

You can't tell me that side by side the automatic is more reliable.

The folks at Audi worked with what they had as far as the auto trans is concerned.

I've seen half shafts unraveled like paper towel rolls on cars running basically stock 01E's

bilko1
February 9th, 2011, 21:12
Can any of you guys do a "how to" or run through the gearbox removal process without removing engine (some pics would be nice) so us UK guys can get our boxes out quicker. We seem to be light years behind you guys when it comes to slush boxes.

vikingrs6
February 9th, 2011, 22:22
Can any of you guys do a "how to" or run through the gearbox removal process without removing engine (some pics would be nice) so us UK guys can get our boxes out quicker. We seem to be light years behind you guys when it comes to slush boxes.

Ditto.. would be very interested to see..

ttboost
February 9th, 2011, 22:24
+1...very interested...

ben916
February 9th, 2011, 22:43
"What is going on here?" - might help for some to get an idea :)

yokust
February 10th, 2011, 05:36
You can't tell me that side by side the automatic is more reliable.

The folks at Audi worked with what they had as far as the auto trans is concerned.

I've seen half shafts unraveled like paper towel rolls on cars running basically stock 01E's

I am a 100% saying that the Auto is more reliable.

The only reason these cars got only autos from the factory is because a clutch and 01E trans would not hold the power reliably for everyone to daily drive the car.

01E's have been getting toasted since 5cyl times. Broken diffs, broken axle flanges, stripped teeth off gears 1st thru 3rd.

As much as I would DIE for a RS6 6spd, I do not beleive in the reliability of a 01E with this much power and torque of these cars. We have chatted about this over PM before.

I want my car to be able to hold up with what ever I do. Daily Driver, Drag Race, and Track Events. I know most clutches will not hold the power of a drag launch, becaue they do not on 2.7t's. And most 2.7t's like to weld themselves together after a hard track event.

So the option of clutch is a twin disk setup (http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/?page=shop%2Fflypage&MakeID=2&FromYear=2000&MakeModelID=19&AppID=316) and for $3000 I can do alot ot the auto trans to make it hold up.

And then on top of the clutch 1-2 syncro setup on a 01E is junk from the factory and lock up all the time or come apart costing more money. So here is just an OEM repair parts (http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/01e-speed-full-rebuild-kit-oem-updated-collar-p-10.html?osCsid=fd895bc03f1f8d91919ea43fad14e59e) another $1100 repair, that has known to happen multiple times with high hp cars, or go this route (http://www.advancedautomotion.com/index.php?cPath=69_52_142) $2900 and never have it happen again

But sorry saying doing it ONCE is wrong unless you are going to invest over 8k into doing the whole setup right for these cars

SteveKen
February 10th, 2011, 14:01
You may not agree with me, but I'm relying on the statistics. The way I drive the car is the way that 90% of the people that would want a 6 speed RS6 to be driven. The 01E will handle this.

Broken diffs and axle flanges don't help our case, as they are un-related. The 1-2 synchro issue due to operator error more than anything else.

My route was finding a $200 01E (due to operator error) which I'm currently rebuilding with the Advanced Automotion rebuild kit and putting in a taller 6th gear for cruising. Not tracking or racing.

I might be making some enemies by saying this, but the notion of drag racing and tracking an RS6 is just silly to me.

yokust
February 10th, 2011, 15:28
I might be making some enemies by saying this, but the notion of drag racing and tracking an RS6 is just silly to me.

Thats ok, its your opinion. But normally the people who say things like this are the people who are not talented enough to do either of those well.

And NO the 01E failures in 1-2 synchro are not operater error. It was a change in design by Audi to try to make the trans smoother shifting, and less 'notchy' feel from the past 01E trans in urS4/S6 cars that caused lots of problems. THUS why Audi updated the part setup to an older previous setup to help the trans. But since they changed some of the internal parts it is just a patch.

And its not tracking or drag that is going to break your trans either. Its the taking off from a light, front tires spinning(which they do with autos) and hooking back up to pavement that causing damage

ttboost
February 10th, 2011, 15:31
Yup...very similar to wheel hop, which is what breaks axles, etc...

TozoM8
February 10th, 2011, 17:48
If I may........dragracing an automatic car and talent should not be in the same post. I've bought one of those $200 01E trans and put a $1000 into it including the .56 6th gear set. and I am happy with it. I have a stage 3 6puck clutch and over 400hp. I got stuck in traffic in SF Lombard street going up 45% hill. Cars were behind me so I had to rev it up and dump the clutch to take off and it didn't even break a sweat. The 01E can take more torque than the input basket on the 5HP24A. Just sayin..........

SteveKen
February 10th, 2011, 17:53
Thats ok, its your opinion. But normally the people who say things like this are the people who are not talented enough to do either of those well.

That's ok as it your opinion as well.

If I see an RS6 next to an Ariel Atom a the track, guess which one I'd choose. Just saying.

The proof is in the pudding, I suppose. I'll keep you posted on how many parts I break.

JSRS6
February 10th, 2011, 18:22
The fact that they put our engine in the Gumpert Apollo has to count for something, right? :hihi:

I would rather, and will have eventually, a beefed up 01E in my beast. By that time, i will have to.

DHall1
February 10th, 2011, 18:48
Not one to miss out on any campfire talk and pissing up trees. But while this is happening, Stephen has the ultimate setup with GT30s and a fully built L10 auto trans going in his car.

Just thought I would throw that out there. hehe

As for the Gumpert. I sat in the one at Barrett Jackson last month. Ahhhh just to know our lump is in the back of that fire breathing monster.

The fact that they put our engine in the Gumpert Apollo has to count for something, right? :hihi:

I would rather, and will have eventually, a beefed up 01E in my beast. By that time, i will have to.

JSRS6
February 10th, 2011, 19:04
Speaking of fire-breathing monsters, my local Indy shop has a diablo and a murcielago roadster. The lago is getting custom exhaust. I told the lead tech to tell the Owner I'd like to "meet" him and his car...

yokust
February 11th, 2011, 00:24
If I see an RS6 next to an Ariel Atom a the track, guess which one I'd choose. Just saying.

Soon as you have an Ariel Atom please let me know also. I would die for a ride in one.

BUT since that is not going to happen, I am going to keep parts in my car that will hold up to all the abuse I can throw at it. And if I have enough money one day to build a bad-ass 01E and perform a proper swap, I am sure I will sell this car off and get a R8 by that time!

Bigglezworth
February 11th, 2011, 04:56
The fact that they put our engine in the Gumpert Apollo has to count for something, right?I guess. I find in interesting reading through the specs on the Apollo.
Base version - approximately 650 PS (478 kW; 641 bhp)
Sport version - approximately 700 PS (515 kW; 690 bhp)
Race version - approximately 800 PS (588 kW; 789 bhp)
and extra 190 base version HP and an extra 340 race version HP? So, EMS, Injectors, Intercoolers, Cams, Drysump & ???

JSRS6
February 11th, 2011, 12:44
I guess. I find in interesting reading through the specs on the Apollo.
Base version - approximately 650 PS (478 kW; 641 bhp)
Sport version - approximately 700 PS (515 kW; 690 bhp)
Race version - approximately 800 PS (588 kW; 789 bhp)
and extra 190 base version HP and an extra 340 race version HP? So, EMS, Injectors, Intercoolers, Cams, Drysump & ???

Aces? :hihi:

vitalian
February 11th, 2011, 18:51
Hello beast enthusiasts,
This may seem random, but I'm considering buying a 2003 RS6 (81K miles, one owner who took good care of it), and the only thing that gives me pause is the cost of maintainance and repairs (given Audi's not-so-great reputation in the reliability department). I would like to hear from other owners as to how reliable their cars have been and if they've spent unreasonable amounts of money.
I love the car and want to buy it -- but I'm not a billionaire and don't want to be bankrupt, either.
Thoughts?