PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Help Identifying A Part

fluidmotorunion
February 7th, 2011, 17:51
Hey guys, we've been through hell and back trying to get this one specific part, but we can't figure out the name or the part # for it. We've ordered pretty much every single part from Audi that's even remotely near the part in question, but we haven't been able to get it.

It's very similar to a gasket or rubber boot. Our head fabricator says it's almost like a silicone sleeve. It goes in between the MAF housing and the turbo inlets, to seal the housing against the inlet. It's a small piece, not very large.

Like I said, we've ordered pretty much every part in that area of the engine bay, and Audi hasn't given us the right piece yet. Instead of continuing with this back-and-forth, I wanted to check and see if you folks could be of any assistance.

Thanks in advance! :addict:

ben916
February 7th, 2011, 18:00
this?

hahnmgh63
February 7th, 2011, 18:08
I'm thinking maybe part 30 or 34. 34 is like a wide O-ring mounted on the inside of the MAF pipe to seal the MAF against the inlet pipe and 30 is a small bellows/hose that goes between the MAF inlet pipe & the Turbo inlet. ETKA is a great too although can be a pain in the ass sometimes to install and search.

fluidmotorunion
February 7th, 2011, 18:08
Ben,

The part you showed, gasket #34, isn't the part we were looking for. We've ordered this one previously during our large-scale search operation.

The part we're looking for is like a rubber O-ring that fits between gasket #34 (the one you pictured) and the MAF meter. It was on the car when we received it, but the owner could have installed it himself (although given the size and material of the part in question, we'd wonder why).

ben916
February 7th, 2011, 18:14
this one then...

It might be fabbed up like you stated..

fluidmotorunion
February 7th, 2011, 18:18
I hopped on Etka myself (albeit through a Russian website, which was thoroughly confusing at best) and just brought up part 13A to one of our engineers, who said that's another metal ring.

Our assumption now, after even more searching today, leads us to believe that it is in fact fabricated. We'll keep hammering away at this, though. Thanks for the help up to this point!

hahnmgh63
February 7th, 2011, 18:52
Part #13A is the same as part #34 in the other ETKA shot and is the Wide lip rubber seal/O-Ring that I described above and not a metal ring. There is also the smaller more conventional rubber O-ring that lies on the topside of the MAF where it bolts to the bottom of the Air Cleaner assembly.

fluidmotorunion
February 7th, 2011, 19:15
Just called the local Audi dealership. Part #13A/#34 (or, technically, part # 077 133 428 A) is metal (according to the parts guy) and is $85.00 list.

Hahn, I believe you when you say it's rubber, it's just a frustrating situation to call the dealership and have them tell me it's something different. I'm pretty sure the computer doesn't even list the material that the gasket is made out of.

hahnmgh63
February 7th, 2011, 19:22
Actually I may stand corrected, I replace mine about 4 years ago and it is rubber on the outside but it may have a metal reinforcement ring inside. Maybe V8 Weight or someone who has replaced theirs too can chime in. And it is only $61.20 from www.genuinevwaudiparts.com (http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com) which tend to have the best prices on most OEM parts.

marklar182
February 7th, 2011, 19:37
It is this piece;

[/URL]10976

Goes in here (right side missing in this pic);

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/B7s7tdlYY_RD193RFw3UntVkVckPVXyxUI7BlccGMXE?feat=d irectlink"]10975 (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_G_E12-6KCnY/TVBKOVST49I/AAAAAAAAABE/ScZCLQuzWkI/s800/71673_x600.jpg)

fluidmotorunion
February 7th, 2011, 19:43
Okay, I found some pictures of the item in question (funny enough, from a different post on RS6.com). Pictures were borrowed only to circle the elusive part and add text.

http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/rubber_1.jpg
http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/rubber_2.jpg

I acknowledge that calling it a gasket was misleading. It's closer to a boot or sleeve. Engineers who told me gasket have already been fired (not really, but I've mocked them).

Like I said in the picture, it almost looks like a notched silicone sleeve. It slides up onto the bottom of the MAF housing and helps seal it against the turbo inlet.

Anybody with a stock airbox should have this part.

ben916
February 7th, 2011, 19:45
edit: crap post corrected

I did my sparkies about 2 weeks ago ( when I dropped the MAF connector guide plate into the turbo inlets) and there wasn't any type of sleeve.
It was MAF to inlet, nothing else...

yokust
February 7th, 2011, 19:50
I am pretty sure some one might have added that to help the maf seal.

Neither set of my MAF's from both cars have that, and I have never seen that on any of the RS6's I have worked on before

marklar182
February 7th, 2011, 19:51
Must be part of the MAF assy. and not available separately.

Actually, it might be an MTM intake bushing.

fluidmotorunion
February 7th, 2011, 19:54
edit: crap post corrected

I did my sparkies about 2 weeks ago ( when I dropped the MAF connector guide plate into the turbo inlets) and there wasn't any type of sleeve.
It was MAF to inlet, nothing else...

I am pretty sure some one might have added that to help the maf seal.

Neither set of my MAF's from both cars have that, and I have never seen that on any of the RS6's I have worked on before

Well, that's interesting. You guys don't have anything except that rubber/metal O-ring (part #13A) making the seal between the MAF housing and the turbo inlet?

marklar182
February 7th, 2011, 20:02
Well, that's interesting. You guys don't have anything except that rubber/metal O-ring (part #13A) making the seal between the MAF housing and the turbo inlet?

Correct. It might be an MTM intake bushing.

hahnmgh63
February 7th, 2011, 20:03
Same here, no sleeve, just the pressure of the intake with the MAF's bolted to the bottom pressing the MAF's into the MAF intakes where resides the O-Ring seal, no sleeve on the outside. I've had my car since 28k so I don't think that part had ever been off until the 35K service for the timing belt.

fluidmotorunion
February 7th, 2011, 20:03
Didn't see your post until after I posted, Marklar. Thanks for mentioning that; I'll check it out right now.

marklar182
February 7th, 2011, 20:10
Didn't see your post until after I posted, Marklar. Thanks for mentioning that; I'll check it out right now.

I have a set on the way from Germany right now, I can confirm as well once I receive them.

They are installed to make a tighter seal and keep from having a leak there and running lean.

fluidmotorunion
February 7th, 2011, 20:17
Cool, thanks for all your help on this matter, guys.

If this truly is the part in question (which in my opinion it 100% is), and it keeps as strong of a seal as we're hoping it does, we might include them with the intake kit.

JSRS6
February 7th, 2011, 20:20
And definitely post the pn!

marklar182
February 7th, 2011, 20:23
And definitely post the pn!

http://www.mtm-online.de/en/Audi/RS6/4-2-T-331-kW-450-hp-Quattro?FZID=RS6331Q&KIT=m-rs6drve

Jena @ Hoppen can source them from MTM.

JSRS6
February 7th, 2011, 21:27
http://www.mtm-online.de/en/Audi/RS6/4-2-T-331-kW-450-hp-Quattro?FZID=RS6331Q&KIT=m-rs6drve

Jena @ Hoppen can source them from MTM.

Awesome! Thanks.

fluidmotorunion
February 25th, 2011, 18:26
"Half of the people can be part right all of the time,
Some of the people can be all right part of the time,
But all of the people can't be all right all of the time.
I think Abraham Lincoln said that. " - Bob Dylan

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but these were definitely not the droids we were looking for.

We needed the part that went between the MAF housings and the turbo inlets. The MTM intake bushings are clearly not that.

After just receiving our two sets from Hoppen, who received them from MTM in Germany, we took a look at the bushings.

First, they're metal and not rubber, but that's not really the main issue. Second, the main issue, they don't connect anywhere near the spot between the turbo inlets and the MAF housings. The diameter is far too large to fit in that spot. They actually fit where the stock airfoils are (those plastic pieces that connect the front grill's air inlets to the intake tubing) - they look like they're designed to go into the outlet of the airfoil to prevent crushing, as that's an issue we've run in to; when utilizing clamps on that plastic airfoil, the plastic isn't very strong and tends to crack. This bushing seems to remedy that.

But it's certainly not the part we were looking for.

So I am back to guessing what part it is that helps seal between the turbo inlets and the MAF sensors. Any guesses would be great - check the first post for the pictures and descriptions.