PDA

View Full Version : Need Engine Pull Advice

Ben74
February 6th, 2011, 21:31
I've got 63,000 miles on my RS6 and the service department found an oil leak that will require the engine to be pulled. I have 2 years left on my extended warranty. I would like advice on what extra parts I should pay out of my own pocket to have replaced in order to be proactive, especially since I still have 2 years of warranty left. Here are the parts I found recommended on a few other posts:
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 204pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=272 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 204pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 9947" width=272><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 204pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=17 width=272>EGT sensors</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=17>O2 Sensors</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=17>Valve cover gaskets</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=17>Check intercoolers</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=17>All vacuum hoses</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=17>O-ring connections at rear engine coolant pipe</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=17>After run coolant pump</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=17>Timing belt</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=17>Venair hose kit</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=17>Thermostat</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=17>Water pump</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=17>Tensioner</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=17>Rollers</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'll probably have them do the timing belt if they give me a good price on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ben

JSRS6
February 6th, 2011, 23:05
This would be a good time to think about replacing the alternator...

JSRS6
February 7th, 2011, 00:06
injector o-rings(cheap)
maf seals...

Aronis
February 7th, 2011, 01:49
Good question. I went through this with the TC replacement. Dealer did not recommend changing much. Their opinion (for what it is worth) was that things like the O2 sensors and EGT Sensors fail early (I had an O2 sensor go on DAY ONE of my BMW 325is experience).

Water Pump and Alternator are accessible from "service position" so if they actually go that would be a good time to do the timeing belt service as well.

With Engine Pull, they want to monkey around with as little as is possible.

I also wrestled with valve cover gaskets, etc, and again left it up to their discression after they inspected things.

It would be nice to think you could drop $5000.00 into it now and replace everything that is wearing, all hoses, water pump, thermostat, alternator, powersteering pump, all seals, etc etc, but that would never guarantee anything will not either fail (new components fail) or that they will not really screw something up trying to redo all the plumbing.

My 2 cents.

Mike

marklar182
February 7th, 2011, 02:50
Since you have 2-years of warranty left, I would do the timing belt related items if the labor rate is right, and then leave everything else alone and make warranty foot the bill later. If anything is found to be failing/leaking when the motor is out I would have the service advisor push for repair/replacement.

ben916
February 7th, 2011, 03:51
Since you have 2-years of warranty left, I would do the timing belt related items if the labor rate is right, and then leave everything else alone and make warranty foot the bill later. If anything is found to be failing/leaking when the motor is out I would have the service advisor push for repair/replacement.

What he wrote...

DHall1
February 7th, 2011, 04:15
It should be easy to find leaking v/c gaskets after the engine is out. Let the warranty pay for those while its out.

As for the other stuff. You could soak up 4000 dollars in a blink just replacing stuff. I say just have the tech look real close but dont let the warranty company off the hook by changing all that stuff.

Now the intercoolers are most likely leaking. Make sure those are inspected.

And unless they give you a smokin deal on the timing belt service....I would not touch it as well. You have 12000 more miles before it needs done.

Ben74
February 11th, 2011, 14:24
So my engine is definitely coming out to replace the oil cooler. I'd like to get opinions one more time about doing other maintenance items that I would need to pay for. I'll need to make a decision today. Here's the quotes I got for the 75k service.

Labor on 75k service if done now with engine out: $256
Labor on 75k if I wait another 12,000 miles: $1,518

Seems obvious to me I should definitely do the 75k service now. What I'm not so sure about is some other items that were recommended. The recommended parts are: 3 rollers, lever, tooth, water pump and thermostat. The cost for me to do those now are $256 labor and $851 for the parts. Any thoughts on doing these additional maintenance items now while the engine is out? My warranty should cover all those for another two years. The reason to do them now would be to try and avoid a costly repair on one of them after those two years are up and the warranty expires.

Ben