PDA

View Full Version : MP4-12C Acceleration Exposed

Z07
February 6th, 2011, 10:06
http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/stillatthewheel/archive/2011/02/02/this-will-blow-your-mind.aspx

There’s a statistic I’ve just discovered about the new McLaren MP4-12C that, if you know your onions or, more to the point, you know your acceleration figures, may well blow your mind. Because it has mine.

The number is 6.1.

Due to the embargo of February 14 that McLaren has placed on details surrounding its new car I’m not actually allowed to say what the number means. But were you to put the letters s, e and c after the number then take a guess as to what the end speed is, you may get more of an idea.

And to give you some extra reference, what I can also tell you is that the McLaren F1’s equivalent time to the same speed was 6.3 when we road tested it in 1994.

Which means the 12C is faster than the F1 to ‘ahem’ miles per hour when, to date, the F1 remains the fastest car we’ve ever recorded to ‘ahem’ miles per hour.

And that, my friends, is quite extraordinary.

Cliffs: 0-100mph in 6.1s

absent
February 11th, 2011, 05:24
Absolutely sick numbers,will make 458 feel slow......

Ruergard
February 11th, 2011, 06:37
This thing will fly...

Benman
February 12th, 2011, 00:48
Just the number alone is "Nuff Said". At least on staright line performance.

Now for track times. ;)

Ben

PS: Obviously I say this knowing "times" only tell a part of the story. :)

RXBG
February 12th, 2011, 20:32
i can't wait to hear how she handles and how versatile she'll be. i'll be really impressed if, on top of wicked handling stats, it is able to achieve them with a palpable feeling of driving involvement while being able to be driven on a daily basis in content comfort for a supercar. i also want to see what ring times the factory claims and how repeatable they are. mclaren has always been known to be a gentleman's car company.

Z07
February 13th, 2011, 18:03
Just the number alone is "Nuff Said". At least on staright line performance.

Now for track times. ;)

Ben

PS: Obviously I say this knowing "times" only tell a part of the story. :)

Got this bit of sneak info:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/mclaren_mp4-12c.html

just had some
more info,mclaren took there 458 to the top gear track and managed to go 0.2 seconds faster than the stig,making it quicker than the enzo!!!
they were comparing it to the prototype 12c on the same day,which went another 1.7 seconds faster still ,just a fraction slower than the gumpert,and quicker than the ascari a10,and this was not the finished article!!!
unfortunatly i cannot yet confirm this,but makes you think what the finished car might do,this was a while ago as i think the 458 is probably been taken to bits by now .

ring times next spring,as it goes on sale the 2nd quarter of the year in the uk,it makes me think with all the tech the car has, it should beat the 458 time by 10 seconds minimum,as chris goodwin the test driver says
(having driven both cars),ours is very quick,he says the 458 was better in areas they didnt expect,and not as good in areas they did expect.HE WAS MOSTLY IMPRESSED WITH THE LACK OF WIND NOISE!!
the 458 is leading the pack for a few months yet,more info should be out soon,i think some of the uk mags get a taster in november but no stats will be avaliable only a teaser of a couple of laps somewhere,
will try to keep you all posted .

Joker
February 13th, 2011, 20:36
:bow::bow::bow:

Ruergard
February 14th, 2011, 21:18
Now with full specs:

"McLaren has released full details on the MP4-12C and the model's specs are definitely in line with the uncompromising performance that the supercar-maker has promised.

Under the mid-rear bonnet is the M838T power plant in the McLaren MP4-12C - a 3.8-liter twin-turbo V8 engine that produces a total of 600 PS (441 kW / 592 bhp) and 600 Nm (443 lb-ft) of torque. The MP4-12C does the 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) sprint in 3.3 seconds (3.1 with special Corsa tires) and has a top speed of 330 km/h (205 mph). 0 to 200 km/h (124 mph) comes in at 9.1 seconds, 8.9 with the Corsa racing tires.

The MP4-12C's MonoCell carbon-fiber chassis, which weights only 75 kg (165 lbs), helps makes for a sprightly vehicle that could weigh-in as low as 1301 kg (2868 lbs) with the lightweight options that McLaren will make available once the model goes on sale.

Transmission on the MP4-12C is a seven-speed SSG gearbox which offers three drive modes: Normal, Sport and Track.

The MP4-12C also comes with adjustable roll control, which replaces mechanical anti-roll bars, and the new supercar features a suspension control module with 3 modes too, Normal, Sport and Track, just as with the transmission but which acts independently of the gearbox setting.

"I am immensely proud of the 12C development team. I don't believe any car company in the world has put as much effort, innovation, passion and sheer determination into launching a car as McLaren has with the 12C...Both in simulation, and in the real world on road and track, we have gone to extremes to ensure the 12C stands up to the performance and quality we know our prospective customers demand," said Antony Sheriff, McLaren Automotive's Managing Director, in a statement.

McLaren is currently still testing the MP4-12C with four prototypes having gone on the road for further tests in Portugal and Spain just last month.

The MP4-12C will be available through a network of 35 retailer locations in 19 countries at a price of around $229,000 in the US and about £168,500 (including 20% VAT) in the UK.

The model is set to launch later this year."

http://www.worldcarfans.com/111021430708/mclaren-mp4-12c-full-specs-finally-released-videos

This is something special... :bow:

nistah
February 15th, 2011, 00:10
:confused:How does the mclaren compare to the new Lambo?: http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/life/lamborghini-aventador-new-370k-supercar-to-be-unveiled-51257.html

RXBG
February 15th, 2011, 01:38
the lambo will be a lot faster in acceleration and, most likely, at least as quick around a track. will also cost 75% more.

the mclaren is going to be a bargain. if i was a single guy it would be a foregone conclusion that i'd be counting the days to get mine. forget about the italia.

Ruergard
February 17th, 2011, 08:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3s0Uw1ADkk

Don't think we should take this to serious cause it's an McLaren event. Regarding of the latest info about Ferrari. :D

Z07
February 17th, 2011, 13:51
the lambo will be a lot faster in acceleration and, most likely, at least as quick around a track. will also cost 75% more.

Not so sure about that. The Aventador will be about 1750kg kerb vs 1430kg for the MP4 or 1400kg with the lightweight options. It has a higher top speed but rolling acceleration should be similar and I doubt it will win on lap times.

Joker
February 17th, 2011, 15:52

the mclaren is going to be a bargain. if i was a single guy it would be a foregone conclusion that i'd be counting the days to get mine. forget about the italia.

No matter what anyone else thinks or believes the new Lambo will be quicker in all forms of acceleration, be that all out acceleration or probably even in-gear acceleration too, but I can't honestly see how it will be quicker on a track where weight has more of a bearing on lap times than power to weight, though it will probably still be close because the Lambo has awd to help it punch out of the corners more efficiently.

'forget about the italia', italia who. :hihi:

Z07
February 17th, 2011, 18:09
The MP4-12C does 60-100mph in 3s dead. To be faster than that the Aventador would need to be as fast or faster than a Veyron, which would upset the family tree somewhat. It will probably be faster above 150mph but 100-150mph they'll level-peg and 60-100 the MP4 will win. In-gear the MP4-12C will take it on torque to weight and wider turbo torque band.

Joker
February 17th, 2011, 18:35
The MP4-12C does 60-100mph in 3s dead. To be faster than that the Aventador would need to be as fast or faster than a Veyron, which would upset the family tree somewhat. It will probably be faster above 150mph but 100-150mph they'll level-peg and 60-100 the MP4 will win. In-gear the MP4-12C will take it on torque to weight and wider turbo torque band.

Going purely of figures quoted for the Lambo then I disagree that the MP4-12C will accelerate at any point as quick, 3.1s at best compared to 2.9s, once rolling it's a case of who has the most power and torque which the Lambo is in both. In-gear is probably harder to determine without seeing what lag if any is present in the MP12, but it will still be close regardless.

Z07
February 18th, 2011, 21:31
Going purely of figures quoted for the Lambo then I disagree that the MP4-12C will accelerate at any point as quick, 3.1s at best compared to 2.9s, once rolling it's a case of who has the most power and torque which the Lambo is in both. In-gear is probably harder to determine without seeing what lag if any is present in the MP12, but it will still be close regardless.
The 0-60 is faster because the Aventador has AWD, after launch it's about power-to-weight ratio (429hp/ton + dual-clutch plays 400hp/ton). In-gear acceleration is about torque-to-weight ratio (316lbft/ton plays 290lbft/ton and the MP4 delivers it all the way from 3000-7000rpm but lag might play a part in throttle response). At high speed above 150mph, absolute power will count and the Aventador will win there. On track, based on the rumours I'm hearing, anything short of a trackday special need not apply.

Joker
February 19th, 2011, 13:23
The Veyon had far less power to weight than the F1 had yet was still quicker everywhere is acceleration, as for the benefits of DCT, well the Lambo is believed to have a quick shift change too that's claimed to be as quick if not even quicker. Also the benefits of AWD over the first 50-60mph, I don't know how much of any advantage it will have on a sticky surface where these test will be conducted but I suppose until the Aventador releases full performance data we are all guessing at it's ability.

Z07
February 19th, 2011, 13:35
The Veyon had far less power to weight than the F1 had yet was still quicker everywhere is acceleration, as for the benefits of DCT, well the Lambo is believed to have a quick shift change too that's claimed to be as quick if not even quicker. Also the benefits of AWD over the first 50-60mph, I don't know how much of any advantage it will have on a sticky surface where these test will be conducted but I suppose until the Aventador releases full performance data we are all guessing at it's ability.
The Veyron had DCT vs a manual change in the F1. It also has AWD on launch. In many tests the rolling acceleration 60-100mph isn't much better than the F1 (3.0s vs 3.1s in a lot of tests). There is no substitute for DCT wrt speed. The Veyron also has a turbocharged torque band, so you've really just made my case for me. I don't think the MP4 will run away with it by any means. It will be close after the initial launch.

Z07
February 24th, 2011, 13:25
Says here that the MP4-12C is actually faster than the F1 from 0-160mph (35s in).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvi21SFsf5c&feature=player_embedded

AndyBG
February 24th, 2011, 15:49
Is that engine in it derivated from some company or it is a McLarens product from ''zero''...?

I can imagine the way JC will drowl over it when TG review comes along...

inF
February 26th, 2011, 00:11
It's McLaren & Ricardo's product from zero and yes, it is faster to 200 km/h than any road car this side of Veyron. It actually represents a breakthrough that no one has yet realised.

AndyBG
February 26th, 2011, 00:22
I have great opinion on this car...!

It is a refreshment on the car scene...

Z07
February 26th, 2011, 10:25
It's McLaren & Ricardo's product from zero and yes, it is faster to 200 km/h than any road car this side of Veyron. It actually represents a breakthrough that no one has yet realised.
The hydraulic suspension sounds like something else. Ride comfort and handling together?!

inF
February 26th, 2011, 12:15
Take a look at this: http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/09/2012-mclaren-mp4-12c-suspension-walkaround.html

Joker
February 27th, 2011, 14:02
Take a look at this: http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/09/2012-mclaren-mp4-12c-suspension-walkaround.html

It sounds similar to Audi's DRC though far more advanced I bet. I'm guessing that we are looking at the future of suspension design.

Z07
March 3rd, 2011, 10:37
...the possibilities with ProActive Chassis Control and goold old GPS are mouth-watering. test driver Chris Goodwin explains: 'Just imagine if we went to every major circuit and recorded a definitive setup for the suspension at each corner, and an owner could just select the circuit on the car's computer to have the optimum chassis settings for that location.'

Basically the system can be networked and record lap times and chassis settings and then allow them to be selected from a database. Pay note Lexus, this is real innovation.

Sensors monitor ride-height and steering angle. Extra stiffness can be sent to any corner at any time.

To experience the freakish speed this car will carry into turns is to realise McLaren has altered the fundamentals of sports car dynamics.

...paradigm-shifting suspension....

...during evaluation tests an MP4-12C hit 186mph from rest in 24.5 sec...

...it's only on entry to very slow corners , on a treacherously greasy surface, that you begin to expect something other-wordly is occurring; this is the result of Brake Steer technology.... You're not actively aware that the inside rear wheel is being braked, just that the car is holding the required line when your eyes tell you it should be understeering off the circuit.

You see a deep, craggy depression in the asphalt, and you tense in expectation of a great wishbone-bending impact - which never arrives. It's trult extraordinary.

At speed, in tr

Track mode, you turn the car and expect it to roll, but it doesn't - and the resistance isn't that awful, solid type you experience in earlier so-called 'active' suspensions, it's like an immediate change in spring rate

It's a true drivers' car. One where you feel instantly at one with it.

The McLaren MP4-12C is the best sports car - perhaps the best road car of any description - I have ever driven

But above all else, accepting the staggering straight-line performance, acknowledging all the MP4-12C's remarkable decathlete talents, there is one message that McLaren delivers with this weapon that should make every other supercar maker shudder: this is their base car.. This is the 1.1LX. From here it only gets faster and better.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4804/mp412c.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/i/mp412c.jpg/)

Erik
March 3rd, 2011, 13:16
Great picture

Off topic, but I have to

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg348/DedRokGallery/c50dab72.jpg

inF
March 3rd, 2011, 15:44
http://www.fastestlaps.com/articles/guesstimate_mclaren_mp4-12c_ring_time_and_win_5_cents.html

Mine is... 7:19 (7:12 with Corsa's).

Z07
March 3rd, 2011, 16:10
Great picture

Off topic, but I have to

I was particularly impressed that the MP4 was doing it in torrential rain. Note spray.

Benman
March 3rd, 2011, 17:07
This quote already posted:

But above all else, accepting the staggering straight-line performance, acknowledging all the MP4-12C's remarkable decathlete talents, there is one message that McLaren delivers with this weapon that should make every other supercar maker shudder: this is their base car.. This is the 1.1LX. From here it only gets faster and better.
:bow:

AndyBG
March 3rd, 2011, 20:04
This quote already posted:

:bow:

I must say that McLaren did suprise me very much...

Not that I didn't expect fast car, but all these ''cutting edge'' tech' makes them so much ahaid Ferrari and puts on the street their track ''war'' from F1...

Ricoloco
March 3rd, 2011, 20:49
Just so damn ugly and no soul....

RXBG
March 4th, 2011, 00:32
in fact the only thing i am NOT crazy about is the exterior styling. but i don't think it's ugly/unattractive like i personally think the GTR is, for example. i had the luck of being able to spend an evening around the mp4 last october and IN it. it is actually kind of a chore to get in and out of to be honest. and although it is spacious inside it still feels quite narrow- though admittedly it would probably feel much different and more as intended if one actually starts driving it. but yes, the exterior is kind of ungathered and uninspired- though undoubtedly "super"car in every way. i would have thought the rear end would amaze me in person, for example, but it didn't. if audi had designed the exterior it would be the perfect car in every way. but this is till THE car i'd buy if i had 300K (a well-optioned model).

i agree with ben. it is scary to think that this is just the starter model. though i don't think the upcoming variants will add anything revolutionary to it except less equipment and weight to make it faster. i can't wait to see it go head to head vs the R8 GT, LP570-4 SL, SLS, GT3-RS, and hopefully the LP700-4.

AndyBG
March 4th, 2011, 13:42
Just so damn ugly and no soul....

I will be resereved about the ugly part, but no soul, defenetly!

Z07
March 4th, 2011, 13:59
Of course it has no soul, it's a car. Besides, all the best killers have no soul. It's like a conscience, it just gets in the way of the objective.

AndyBG
March 4th, 2011, 14:26
Of course it has no soul, it's a car. Besides, all the best killers have no soul. It's like a conscience, it just gets in the way of the objective.

:)))))))))))))))))))))))

Benman
March 4th, 2011, 18:05
Of course it has no soul, it's a car. Besides, all the best killers have no soul. It's like a conscience, it just gets in the way of the objective. That is the best post of this thread so far! :cheers:

Erik
March 15th, 2011, 11:32
Looking forward to the MP4-12C GT3...

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6043/mclarenmp412cgt3racecarx.jpg

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/6734/mclarenmp412cgt3racecarf.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiLdAVi4vJQ

Ruergard
March 15th, 2011, 17:48
Now that I like!

Benman
March 16th, 2011, 03:29
As if the regular version wasn't good enough... DAYum! That will be a truly incredible vehicle.

One of the YouTube comments was saying the car "better live up to the name". I am sure no one knows this more than Ron Dennis. ;)

:cheers:

Ben

RXBG
March 16th, 2011, 23:53
i want to see it in lemans. any chance?

Ruergard
March 17th, 2011, 15:10
Autocar: McLaren F1 vs. MP4-12C

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/mclaren-f1-racer-vs-mp4-12c-video-feature/

inF
March 19th, 2011, 11:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRy1zHAB2N8

Erik
May 10th, 2011, 11:29
Top Gear Dunsfold lap times for the road car

1,336 kg without Pirelli Corsa tyres 1 min 14.118 seconds

1,301 kg with lightweight options and Corsa tyres 1 min 12.915

Mr Balsen
May 10th, 2011, 20:14
I know somebody who drove this car because he purchased one (to be delivered in September). Well his feedback is really clear:

Chassis has a new meaning with this car...
Performance is amazing too.

Frederic

The RS6
May 10th, 2011, 20:43
I know somebody who drove this car because he purchased one (to be delivered in September). Well his feedback is really clear:

Chassis has a new meaning with this car...
Performance is amazing too.

Frederic

Give him "your" MTM R8 and ask him for a comparing opinion :)

Z07
May 20th, 2011, 18:57
Top Gear Dunsfold lap times for the road car

1,336 kg without Pirelli Corsa tyres 1 min 14.118 seconds

1,301 kg with lightweight options and Corsa tyres 1 min 12.915
That's simply silly performance. Almost Ultima GTR720 territory. Where did you see this?

Z07
June 17th, 2011, 20:15
Here are some real figures:

Bedford Autodrome West

F458 - 1:19.3 (120.0mph (Michelin Pilot Super Sport)
MP4-12C - 1:20.6 (120.9mph) (Pirelli P Zero)
MP4-12C - 1:19.6 (Not stated) (Pirelli P Zero Corsa)

Earlier runs
Gumpert Apollo S - 1:19.4 (120.4mph) (???)
GT2 RS - 1:19.9 (122.3mph) (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup+)
458 - 1:20.3 (117.0mph) (Michelin Pilot Sport 3)

Looks like the Ferrari still has it and the McLaren may well be misisng that LSD. Nevertheless both capable of staggering sub-80s lap, which is doubly impressive when you consider the 458's less grippy tyres.

Erik
June 17th, 2011, 20:20
That's a bit of a disappointment, unless you own a F458 of course.

Z07
June 17th, 2011, 20:29
It's a little disappointing but it's just one track and the MP4 won the acceleration tests:

Quarter Mile

458 - 11.2s@128.2mph (MPS3)
MP4-12C - 10.8s@131mph (P Zero)

Erik
June 17th, 2011, 20:30
10.8 is...WOW

Z07
June 18th, 2011, 10:10
10.8 is...WOW
I'm expecting an absolute shit-storm regarding whether the 458 was 'standard' anyway. Chris Harris ranted that the 458 that ran 1:20.3 (peak speed 117mph) last year wasn't standard on Jalopnik, so who knows what they sent this time round.

Erik
June 18th, 2011, 10:47
I'm expecting an absolute shit-storm regarding whether the 458 was 'standard' anyway. Chris Harris ranted that the 458 that ran 1:20.3 (peak speed 117mph) last year wasn't standard on Jalopnik, so who knows what they sent this time round.

Well who knows, can't trust the italians anyway :D but my little finger says the next broadscast with the test drive of the Macca will be interesting, and the conclusion might be surprising.

Let me know once you've seen it :)

Z07
June 18th, 2011, 13:21
It's a 33-page article but basically they prefer the 458 although the MP4 was faster over give and take public roads. I'll give you a taster:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7742/mp4vs458.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/220/mp4vs458.jpg/)

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/2559/mp4vs4582.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/mp4vs4582.jpg/)

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1373/mp4vs4583.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/mp4vs4583.jpg/)

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/5083/mp4vs4584.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/mp4vs4584.jpg/)

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/9567/mp4vs4585.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/mp4vs4585.jpg/)

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3228/mp4vs4586.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/mp4vs4586.jpg/)

Z07
June 18th, 2011, 20:42
Ha, this is an interesting bit:

Issue 148
458 test weight - 1546kg

Issue 158 (this one)
458 test weight - 1469kg
MP4-12C test weight - 1433kg

Ruergard
June 18th, 2011, 22:30
Now that IS interesting...

Benman
June 19th, 2011, 01:57
Now that IS interesting... Hmm, sure is! Perhaps Chris Harris was onto something... and perhaps John Barker was scared of getting his Ferrari privileges revoked!

Z07
June 19th, 2011, 19:38
All boils down to whether you believe a stock 458 on non-trackday tyres is faster than a GT2 RS (on Michelin Pilot SPort Cups) and a Gumpert Apollo Sport.... and 2s faster than an LP670-4 and nearly 3s faster than a 3.8 GT3 RS or Scuderia.

Frankly I'd tell Ferrari to stuff the priviledges. If what you're testing isn't a stock car, then what relevance does it have to the reader.

Joker
June 19th, 2011, 20:27
The integrity of said magazine comes into question as much as the manufacturer. If EVO had doubts about this particular 458 which proved to be so much quicker than normal then they should have requested it dynoed, it's chassis setting examined and compared to a showroom example and if Ferrari disagreed with those requests then still post the results but include Ferrari disagreement to play ball.

They very fact that EVO said nothing of this and didn't question it's new found speed just confirms that they aren't the magazine they once were in my eyes.

Z07
June 20th, 2011, 20:18
The integrity of said magazine comes into question as much as the manufacturer. If EVO had doubts about this particular 458 which proved to be so much quicker than normal then they should have requested it dynoed, it's chassis setting examined and compared to a showroom example and if Ferrari disagreed with those requests then still post the results but include Ferrari disagreement to play ball.

They very fact that EVO said nothing of this and didn't question it's new found speed just confirms that they aren't the magazine they once were in my eyes.
I can see where they stand commercially though. Although Chirs Harris (Evo) and Steve Sutcliffe (Autocar) have spoke out individually even about the 1:20.3 car, the magazine has to compete and to do that it needs tests of forthcoming Ferraris. If you could get all magazines to act together, then you might be in with a chance.

One of these cars does not belong in the top 5. Can you guess which it is?

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4042/shyte.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/shyte.png/)

Ruergard
June 20th, 2011, 21:21
To see the 458 above the Gumpert is a laugh. Ferrari what have you've done...

Benman
June 21st, 2011, 00:16
To see the 458 above the Gumpert is a laugh. Ferrari what have you've done... Wow, just WOW!

Sad...

Z07
June 21st, 2011, 20:25
And now if you go to CAR Magazines website you can watch it achieving higher speeds on the straights than a GT2 RS and maintaining the same speeds in corners despite inferior rubber. It once again beats the GT2 RS and McLaren with ex-Stig as driver but then the McLaren test driver has a go with the optional Corsas and beats everyone.

458 - 1:28.3 (Stig - Ben Collins)
GT2 RS 1:28.77 (Stig)
MP4 - 1:30 (Stig PZeros)
Mp4 - 1:28.00 (McLaren test driver - Optional Corsas) (It says right at the end of the Full Video)

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/McLaren-MP4-12C-vs-the-world-the-ultimate-supercar-group-test/

I'm quite satisfied that the MP4 is beating the GT2 RS on similar rubber. That's job done. Stock vs Non-stock is meaningless.

Erik
June 21st, 2011, 20:37
You're not at the McLaren opening then, Z07? ;)

Z07
June 23rd, 2011, 20:52
You're not at the McLaren opening then, Z07? ;)
I was given one for free based on my driving excellence.;)

Erik
June 27th, 2011, 17:51
Did you have time to watch 5:th gear yet? ;)

Z07
June 27th, 2011, 22:13
Did you have time to watch 5:th gear yet? ;)
Yeah. All subjective really. I can't drift it so it's a bad car. I have a pre-conceived notion of how a car should drive and everything must follow it. If it doesn't feel right in the first hour then it must be bad and will never feel right.

Joker
June 27th, 2011, 22:34
I know if I were Tiff and the MP4 had threw me off the track in such a way then I too would be less than excited about the car and it's ability to impress. I still don't understand why the fu@k it was built with the inability to turn of the nannies completely, it really does go against the grain of this type of cars, there's little doubt it's the underlining factor as to why it's not ability to post the quickest times.

Benman
June 27th, 2011, 23:06
Yeah. All subjective really. I can't drift it so it's a bad car. I have a pre-conceived notion of how a car should drive and everything must follow it. If it doesn't feel right in the first hour then it must be bad and will never feel right. This is a fair point and most of us are at least a little guilty of the same thing.

But Joker also makes a good point. There are several adamant members here that continue to bash the Nissan GT-R (a great car) simply because it too can not turn off all nanny electronic aids and because it does not have a "real" transmission, etc.

Me, I have heard sh!t for YEARS about Audi this or that from the rear wheel drive crowd. In the end, I don't give a whole lot of weight to what others think. They have the right to their opinions, me to mine. :cheers:

Ben :addict:

Ruergard
June 28th, 2011, 06:53
Me, I have heard sh!t for YEARS about Audi this or that from the rear wheel drive crowd. In the end, I don't give a whole lot of weight to what others think. They have the right to their opinions, me to mine. :cheers:

Ben :addict:

Cheers! :cheers:

Z07
June 29th, 2011, 21:04
An alternative view. Note that the dry track time was set on a damp track and the subjective comments seem better too.

Autocar Dry Handling:

Veyron SS - 1:08.5
MP4-12C - 1:08.6 (damp)
458 - 1:08.9**
Scuderia - 1:09.5
GT3 RS - 1:09.6

The one Steve Sutcliffe said was filled up with race gas.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsHistory/McLaren-MP4-12C-3.8-V8/257947/

[IMG]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6999/mp4beats458.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/143/mp4beats458.png/)

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/6298/sf3s.jpg

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5703/sf5p.jpg

So they cheated and still lost, what will they do next? Call the FIA?

Z07
July 10th, 2011, 21:20
1:16.2 on Top Gear

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/top_gear_track.html

1. Caparo T1 1:10.60 144 '07 583 / 575 The Stig
2. Ultima GTR 720 1:12.80 139 '00 720 / 1050 Ultima
3. Ariel Atom 500 V8 1:15.10 135 '10 481 / 550 Stig (new)
4. McLaren MP4-12C 1:16.20 133 '10 600 / 1434 The Stig
5. Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport 1:16.80 132 '10 1199 / 1888 The Stig
6. Gumpert Apollo Sport 1:17.10 132 '07 700 / 1200 the Stig
7. Ascari A10 1:17.30 131 '07 634 / 1285 The Stig
8. Caterham 7 CSR 260 1:17.40 131 '05 260 / 530 Dunlop Tester
9. Koenigsegg CCX 1:17.60 131 '06 806 / 1456 The Stig
10. Noble M600 1:17.70 131 '09 659 / 1277 The Stig

Where are all the red cars at?

Z07
July 10th, 2011, 21:21
Here's an MP4 struggling to drift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6KBw2WrLqs

Z07
July 11th, 2011, 20:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bc44Sa1bTg&feature=player_embedded

Z07
July 12th, 2011, 20:51
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9092/tglt.jpg

Eckoman
July 13th, 2011, 14:09
How can the opinions regarding track times be so divergent, regarding Top Gear vs. Fifth Gear?

Z07
July 13th, 2011, 21:01
Plato drives hot hatches. Nuff said.

Erik
July 17th, 2011, 20:49
The Power Board

1:15.1 - Ariel Atom 500 V8
1:16.2 - McLaren MP4-12C
1:16.8 - Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
1:17.1 - Gumpert Apollo S
1:17.3 - Ascari A10
1:17.6 - Koenigsegg CCX (with Top Gear Wing)
1:17.7 - Noble M600 (cold)
1:17.8 - Nissan GTR (2011)
1:17.8 - Pagani Zonda Roadster F
1:17.9 - Caterham Seven Superlight R500 (cold)
1:18.3 - Bugatti Veyron 16.4
1:18.4 - Pagani Zonda F
1:18.9 - Maserati MC12
1:19.0 - Lamborghini Murciélago LP670-4 SuperVeloce
1:19.0 - Enzo Ferrari
1:19.1 - Ferrari 458 Italia
1:19.5 - Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
1:19.5 - Porsche 997 GT2
1:19.5 - Ariel Atom 2 300
1:19.7 - Nissan GT-R
1:19.7 - Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Z07
July 17th, 2011, 21:15
Saw that. The new GTR is one hell of a car. It makes about 0.5-0.7s just from the launch to the first quarter mile over the old one. Just as the CBA was faster than the 430, it looks like the DBA is faster than the 458.

Looks like Ferrari have smaller fish to fry.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/comparisons/ferrari_458_italia-vs-nissan_gt-r_2011.html

Lap Times
Track 458 Italia / GT-R (Mk II)
Top Gear Track 1:19.10 / 1:17.80
Nordschleife 7:28.00 / 7:24.22
Hockenheim Short 1:10.50 / 1:10.00
SportAuto wet handling test 1:33.60 / 1:35.00
Willow Springs - Streets of Willow 1:22.30 / 1:20.25

Z07
July 22nd, 2011, 18:17
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1094/aztest.jpg

ist unglaublich einfach zu fahren dabei aber unheimlich schnell - is unebelievably simple to drive however terribly fast.

sportauspuff - sports exhaust (optional)

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/8048/az003.jpg

Z07
July 23rd, 2011, 09:05
Notice that this is with the ordinary PZeros.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6814/cadmp4458gt2rs.jpg

Z07
July 23rd, 2011, 15:07
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3756/fmp1.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4216/fmp2.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/180/fmp3s.jpg
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3281/fmp4.jpg

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6490/fmp5.jpg
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3179/fmp6.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3296/fmp7.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4040/fmp8.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8672/fmp9.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1373/fmp10.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1373/fmp10.jpg

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7273/fmp11x.jpg
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5966/fmp12.jpg
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/5927/fmp13.jpg

Z07
July 23rd, 2011, 15:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2PHzyBx-fM#ws

Benman
July 26th, 2011, 19:45
Thank you for the scan, great write up! :cheers:

I'm confused on "xuquan"... The replies actually make sense ("Absolutely ill numbers,will make 458 really feel slow..."), but it appears to be a robot spam poster?

RXBG
July 26th, 2011, 20:33
make my mclaren black with red interior.

Z07
July 29th, 2011, 17:54
Thank you for the scan, great write up! :cheers:

I'm confused on "xuquan"... The replies actually make sense ("Absolutely ill numbers,will make 458 really feel slow..."), but it appears to be a robot spam poster?
xuquan???

Erik
July 30th, 2011, 21:47
Spammer robots removed...

Z07
October 21st, 2011, 16:22
Sport Auto

Nordschleife - 7:28 (3rd fastest ever)
0-300kph - 31.0s

Erik
October 25th, 2011, 21:10
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=24573

You get talky bits from McLaren test driver Chris Goodwin, and some driving (and talking) from the editor in chief of German magazine Sport Auto who claims to have cracked off a 7min 28sec lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHcw-QJRIlU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHcw-QJRIlU&feature=player_embedded

Z07
October 26th, 2011, 17:30
^2:25-2:45 - Damp track, rain on window. ;)