PDA

View Full Version : Decent Example

crummer
February 5th, 2011, 00:11
I have been a lurker here for awhile as I was researching for a new ride. This was one I took a look at but couldn't get them to my price. However, the sales manager gave me a ring yesterday to let me know the price was reduced by 5K. I have gone a different direction but wanted to let ppl. know in case someone was looking. Right front CV boot is cracked ($275) and timing belt coming soon ($2400). Front pads and rotors are almost new and have less than 5K miles on them, DRC was done 10K ago. Slight gasket leak on the tranny pan, (damp, no drip, consistent with mileage). Interior is good with the exception of the "drawer" under the memory seat button on the door. Tires are 50+% Michelin PS2's.

I have NO relationship with the dealer, only a gear head constantly in search of the fix......

http://www.magcars.com/used/Audi/2003-Audi-RS6-d07ba1500a0a006401a0ff1065328032.htm

You guys have a great community here, and my brief surfing of the forum provided a wealth of knowledge, thank you!

speedtrapped
February 5th, 2011, 01:13
Nice example, not a fan of interior color, but wow good deal on surface.

crummer
February 5th, 2011, 01:23
Nice example, not a fan of interior color, but wow good deal on surface.

I didn't know what to make of the interior color either, but I can tell you it looks much better in person. The light color hides wear allot better than black, in my opinion.

They told me they were upside down on the deal when we were @ $24K and I walked away. If they are not upside down now, they should be close.

ben916
February 5th, 2011, 02:44
With $5k or more in needed work?
That would be a hard decision...

crummer
February 5th, 2011, 03:02

Exactly, as hard as I tried, it just came down to maintenance for me. The thought of having to send it to the shop after purchase really did it for me. The Audi tech said there was about 5K left in the boot before it typically failed (in his opinion), the timing belt is due in 10K and the tranny gasket is a maybe tomorrow maybe never type deal. In the end, just not for me, but the car was extremely clean as the interior/exterior finish was in great shape.

Elevens
February 5th, 2011, 03:32
Fantastic deal in my opinion. The car looks great. $22K, that's a steal. I paid $29K for mine last year with 58K on the clock. Even though there may be some maintenance issues later on down the road I would definitely go for it. I personally don't care for a white interior but at that price who cares. Just my thoughts...........................

skribe
February 5th, 2011, 03:42
^^ agree if that car is maintained and free of major problems that is a SMOKING deal.

crummer
February 5th, 2011, 04:17
Fantastic deal in my opinion. The car looks great. $22K, that's a steal. I paid $29K for mine last year with 58K on the clock. Even though there may be some maintenance issues later on down the road I would definitely go for it. I personally don't care for a white interior but at that price who cares. Just my thoughts...........................

Good to hear, i have many hours tied up in researching/learning about the car, I would just like to see it find a good home.

crummer
February 5th, 2011, 04:22

Thank you for your help on the registry.

Nothing came up on the registry other than the car being listed for sale in its current condition.

DHall1
February 5th, 2011, 20:33
If you had eyes on that car and turned down 22k becuase it would need a major service in 10k? I dont know what else can be said. That car with that mileage if the condition is as you say is the best deal for a RS6 in the USA right now. My gosh.

Fix the screwed up DRC repair. $0
Service timing belt. $700
Alignment. $130
Flash and TCU chip. $600

=425hp to the wheels and over 500ft/lbs torque to the wheels. All for less than 23,500 dollars. :doh:

I dont see where the 5000 dollars in needed service is coming from? If I could get eyes on that car...hmm

Brav
February 5th, 2011, 21:09
It is a great deal, but even if I were in the market, I couldnt hang with that interior. Mine HAD to be black, w carbon. Even tho the OEM carbon looks like fiberglass.

JSRS6
February 5th, 2011, 22:10
It is a great deal, but even if I were in the market, I couldnt hang with that interior. Mine HAD to be black, w carbon. Even tho the OEM carbon looks like fiberglass.

Agreed!!!

V8weight
February 5th, 2011, 23:36
Hmm, different strokes for different folks I guess. I had to have the silver/carbon fiber interior and held out until I found it. I personally like the contrast.

DHall1
February 6th, 2011, 02:34
The first RS6 I ever set my eyes on was a Avus/Silver interior. That was also the first one I was able to drive. Had to have one after that first test drive. The silver interior gives you a completely different feel inside the car. I think it looks great with Avus and Mugello exterior colors. A very classy look.

Hmm, different strokes for different folks I guess. I had to have the silver/carbon fiber interior and held out until I found it. I personally like the contrast.

V8weight
February 6th, 2011, 03:04
The first RS6 I ever set my eyes on was a Avus/Silver interior. That was also the first one I was able to drive. Had to have one after that first test drive. The silver interior gives you a completely different feel inside the car. I think it looks great with Avus and Mugello exterior colors. A very classy look.
Ya, I just think it works with the Avus silver exterior. Seems to break up some of the monotony with the two tone. Just my opinion though. I've seen enough black interior cars around the Pat cave, I like them as well.

ttboost
February 6th, 2011, 13:14
I wanted a Mugello with black interior...took me a few years to find a nice one...glad I waited...can't do the silver, gray...whatever they are calling it...no offense...

JSRS6
February 6th, 2011, 15:33
Yeah, that was my first choice as well, though when i was hunting, they were ALL mugello/silver....

DHall1
February 6th, 2011, 17:09
Now I remember this car. A member here was looking at it last summer and almost purchased it.

6 owner car and changed hands again and went to auction within just a couple months from the sale last fall. Does that tell anyone anything? Been floating around dealer lots for nearly 4 months.

TC may be toast. Service history looks ok but so many owners. You could still get ext warranty reasonable due to lower mileage and be ok in the end but now your looking at dumping another 4-5k for ext warranty. I would check out the trans very close and hopefully it is bad. Then hardball the dealer to take 19,5. The hell with the warranty and just drop the car off to Tozo for a quick TC. ;-)

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=ATD_U&vin=-89|-115|5|125|124|53|29|-77|78|70|-114|-37|-25|-56|21|42|-23|-104|8|-65|4|-80|83|-95

crummer
February 7th, 2011, 03:30
Now I remember this car. A member here was looking at it last summer and almost purchased it.

6 owner car and changed hands again and went to auction within just a couple months from the sale last fall. Does that tell anyone anything? Been floating around dealer lots for nearly 4 months.

TC may be toast. Service history looks ok but so many owners. You could still get ext warranty reasonable due to lower mileage and be ok in the end but now your looking at dumping another 4-5k for ext warranty. I would check out the trans very close and hopefully it is bad. Then hardball the dealer to take 19,5. The hell with the warranty and just drop the car off to Tozo for a quick TC. ;-)

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=ATD_U&vin=-89|-115|5|125|124|53|29|-77|78|70|-114|-37|-25|-56|21|42|-23|-104|8|-65|4|-80|83|-95

Agreed, this is were I got to when I walked away. I priced warranties on the car: dealer ($6K for 4yrs/50K miles), and a couple of others in the $4K to $5K range for 4yrs/48K miles . If someone is interested I can send you the warranty info/pricing. When the deal ended for me was when I told the sales manager the car's wholesale value was $18K to $19K and we would need to determine how much the cleanliness of the car is worth. At the time his answer was $24K and in my mind I could not justify a $5K investment over wholesale, plus warranty $4K and be upside down in the car by $9K the second I drove it off the lot. This in conjunction with their attempt to under value my trade initially in the deal just put me off. So in the end, if they keep getting enough offers on the true value of the car, they are going to take one of them as I believe they are near the tipping point and desperately want to cut it loose.

If someone is interested and can tell me how to tell if the TC is blown, I would be happy to go drive it again to figure it out.:hahahehe:

DHall1
February 7th, 2011, 04:05
Simple enough.

Go back in for a second look now that the price has dropped again. Make 2 demands.

1. 45minute test drive. Get the car on the expressway non stop the entire time. Hold speed at 55 and then gently roll into full throttle up to 70. Back down to 55 steady and do it all over again. 45 minutes of it.
2. Have the ECU scanned with a Vagcom or set up a visit right after the 45min drive with a Audi dealer to have the ECU scanned for hard and soft codes.

Sit back in your easy chair and watch the price come down some more. The 4k price for a 4/48 ext warranty sounds good. I would not give up on the car just yet.

JSRS6
February 7th, 2011, 04:55
Simple enough.

Go back in for a second look now that the price has dropped again. Make 2 demands.

1. 45minute test drive. Get the car on the expressway non stop the entire time. Hold speed at 55 and then gently roll into full throttle up to 70. Back down to 55 steady and do it all over again. 45 minutes of it.
2. Have the ECU scanned with a Vagcom or set up a visit right after the 45min drive with a Audi dealer to have the ECU scanned for hard and soft codes.

Sit back in your easy chair and watch the price come down some more. The 4k price for a 4/48 ext warranty sounds good. I would not give up on the car just yet.

What he said...

mmaturo
February 7th, 2011, 23:54
Love my Silver interior. Lightens it up with the lighter color headliner. I never thought about it back when i was looking as had not sat in a silver interior...till the day i saw my car..got in and liked it much better as it felt more open and visually more interesting.

Hope this car goes for $21K...I guess we are all screwed at this rate. Seems like a good number to me assuming tranny is intact. Still annoyed dealers put $18-19K into a car or even less on trade in but expect to get $5K back out...how about a fair trade instead and the margin on the resale is in line with other used cars.

crummer
February 17th, 2011, 01:28
Seems as though the car has moved on, congratulation to who ever ends up with it!

ben916
February 17th, 2011, 02:17
you COULD get this one and make it a stage 6 and be all the rage on AZ :)

http://www.midwesternaudi.com/used/Audi/2003-Audi-A6-1e848ab20a0a00650118d1f988cc66e9.htm

V8weight
February 17th, 2011, 02:28

http://www.midwesternaudi.com/used/Audi/2003-Audi-A6-1e848ab20a0a00650118d1f988cc66e9.htm
Yeah, but it can't be better than an RS6 until it has the full RS6 body conversion..

crummer
February 17th, 2011, 02:45

Ha,,,, ha,,,, that's seriously funny... What was I thinking to miss out on that opportunity????? Man, I really messed up......

In all seriousness though, it is sad to see AZ decline to STAGE 6 with warp drive status. I hung out there in 03 though 06 when I had my A4. Was a pretty neat place, when all of the tuning on the B6 A4 started to really gain momentum, place was electric back then, GIAC, vs. REVO vs. APR tunes and big turbos..... Guys were literally going to the racetrack on a daily basis to one up one another (yes there were time slips)......

hahnmgh63
February 17th, 2011, 03:05
Yea, if it wasn't so far away I would have bought it myself if it wouldn't have take a couple days to fly out and look at it then four more to drive it back.

ben916
February 17th, 2011, 03:14
I haven't seen/driven a 6speed A6

ttboost
February 17th, 2011, 11:32
I haven't seen/driven a 6speed A6

I bought one brand new in 2000....black on black...fun...for a while...

skribe
February 17th, 2011, 15:50
I had one, fun car with a tune. Obviously lighter on it's feet than the beast... but way less visceral appeal.

Jimmy
February 17th, 2011, 16:25
I still have our 2001 6 speed allroad...with the O.CT program and some suspension mods its a super fun car for what is it....a roided out A6 avant

Approaching 170K miles now...