PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy, I may be schtupped

speedtrapped
January 29th, 2011, 16:53
I have not driven the beast all week. Started her up today and more smoke from back of engine, BUT I realize I am smoking out driver side exhaust......blown turbo? I have not vag, nor driven her- I am about to. No CEL. What do u think?

speedtrapped
January 29th, 2011, 17:37
Update, never mind - pat is right.....open up the oil cap, slight vacuum so I will clean out pcv lines, replace valves. Btw drove her, no loss of turbo and no smoke now....phewwwww

hahnmgh63
January 29th, 2011, 17:41
If you drive it around for a few minutes and it doesn't clear up then yes, it probably is a blow Turbo. Sorry Dude, it doesn't sound good. I guess it's time for a 500bhp plus at the wheels upgrade. Did you have the best dyno #'s from the Atlantic dyno meet?

speedtrapped
January 29th, 2011, 18:37
Drove it and no smoke and plenty of pull, pat had suggested that my pcv isn't breathing and to check for vacuum at oil cap, I put my hand over at idle and there was a light vacuum. So 1st I will change the pcv and regulator valves. It was a faint smoke on start up after sitting for a week. After driving for 30 minutes, nada. I had best #'s of the eurocharge bunch, but M5 eater had better, he didn't know what flash or chip he had.

hahnmgh63
January 29th, 2011, 19:20
Yea, the PCV would be the easiest and cheapest to work on first. There is the the issue of sitting and possibly oil draining down the valve stem seals but that would seem to be the longshot as these engines have shown to be reliable. The PCV valve is real cheap and the pressure regulation valves aren't too bad. Have you thought of catch cans too?

speedtrapped
January 29th, 2011, 19:57
Yes, I have an FMU intake coming, I may install there catch can, just not sure if they have worked out the kinks

speedtrapped
January 29th, 2011, 19:58
Not sure what other options for a cars

hahnmgh63
January 29th, 2011, 20:39
Yea, I was a little surprised that catch cans are fairly simple but wen I pointed out that there catch can (for a Turbo or Supercharged car) shouldn't be vented to atmosphere, they replied that they discovered that and were making changes. There is different quality of cans, and I overpaid for mine but they are a nice piece of engineering. These are the ones I bought
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html

speedtrapped
January 29th, 2011, 22:04
That's not bad, FMU wanted $700.00

hahnmgh63
January 29th, 2011, 23:32
I'm sure you know but that is $169.50 x 2 as it is easiest to plumb the two banks of the RS6 separately. I plumbed them between the pressure limiting valves and the intakes. My setup will keep the extra oil from the Turbos, intercoolers, and intake tract but it will not keep the PCV valve or the pressure limiting valves from getting gummed up. Hopefully from V8 weights experience the blow by will be decreased thanks to Aces IV. I haven't checked my intercoolers since I installed the Wagners a year ago but it is about time to give them a check. I've got a couple of PCV valves laying around as my tt takes the same as the RS6 and my daughters A4. I have seen the PCV system on A4's & tt's really clogged up.

skribe
January 29th, 2011, 23:36
Good luck speed, I hope it's nothing serious.

I wish somebody would do a catchcan diy for our cars.......

hahnmgh63
January 30th, 2011, 00:12
Skribe, it's fairly simple. I don't have the full version of Adobe to cut, paste, or modify PDF's but look at pg 16 of the RS6 study guide of the PCV system. Tap into the PCV vent hose on each bank going from the Pressure limiting valves to the Turbo intakes, just below the MAF's. You will need to remove the air cleaner assembly to get at everything, a perfect time to redo some of your vacuum hoses if they haven't been done yet. The type of catch can and the way you mount them is up to you as the cost can be from a cheap Ebay low of $5 to over $200 each. The ones I purchased above as mentioned are probably overpriced but they are very nice units. You just need non-vented one inlet, one outlet catch cans. Keep the hoses as straight as possible. The drivers side is tight with Power steering, ABS pump, etc... there. Mine is just hanging off of the two hoses loose but wedged in there pretty good. Someday I'll try to do a more solid mount.

TozoM8
January 30th, 2011, 02:23
You can get realy nice one for way less than that. It is just a catch can, one hose go in, one out. This one has a level window too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVERSAL-750ML-ENGINE-OIL-CATCH-TANK-CAN-RESERVIOR-B-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c2aa57d8QQitemZ11064 0125912QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

hahnmgh63
January 30th, 2011, 02:50
That is a great price Tozo, and I actually bought that one for my 911 & tt but the reason I didn't go with it for the RS6 is because it can't be opened. So my question? Is there any media inside it for the oil/moisture vapor to condense? The inlet & outlet are right next to each other, I would hope the inlet at least has a tube going to the bottom but who knows, maybe one blows right at the other. It would still be cheaper than nothing I would imagine.

hahnmgh63
February 2nd, 2011, 02:40
Speedtrapped, it's been a few days, did you find out anything about the smoke from your car?

yokust
February 2nd, 2011, 04:56
Except the problem also with the eBay 'catch cans' is that they are just an in/out open hole. The same thing that comes in, goes straight back out

There is no seperration between sides and no way of catching oil smug and letting air flow thru.

speedtrapped
February 2nd, 2011, 13:13
nope no smoking issues, driven her all week(albeit carefully with ice storms etc) I ordered new pcv valve and pancake valves...genuine has a back order on the pancakes, so i will be delayed swapping and cleaning out. Pat had suggested as mentioned that I check for vacuum at oil cap, turns out I had slight vacuum. My assumption, and 1st order of business is to replace pcv system valves, if no new smoke, great....if more smoke then step 2 would be VC gasket/cam tensioner seal.

PALETTE
February 2nd, 2011, 14:34
Speed glad it was all ok!!

Back to the Catch can, can one of you post some pics on where you mounted it.

speedtrapped
February 2nd, 2011, 15:27
Yea, I was a little surprised that catch cans are fairly simple but wen I pointed out that there catch can (for a Turbo or Supercharged car) shouldn't be vented to atmosphere, they replied that they discovered that and were making changes. There is different quality of cans, and I overpaid for mine but they are a nice piece of engineering. These are the ones I bought
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html

just ordered these.....

yokust
February 2nd, 2011, 16:50
This is the catch cans I will be running on my car, soon as I get around to installing them. I am going to run 1 per bank, and have them over on the Pass side above the secondary air pump

I have two of the Stealth Catch Cans

http://42draftdesigns.com/categories/products/catchcans.html

ben916
February 2nd, 2011, 18:32
This is the catch cans I will be running on my car, soon as I get around to installing them. I am going to run 1 per bank, and have them over on the Pass side above the secondary air pump

I have two of the Stealth Catch Cans

http://42draftdesigns.com/categories/products/catchcans.html

Where did you install this? Also if you wouldn't mind, a DIY with photos...

yokust
February 2nd, 2011, 18:39

Have not installed them yet, like I said. Have just been sitting in my garage for awhile, have been waiting to do my TC and Turbos and do it all at once.

And sorry I will show pics of finished product, I never do diy's

JSRS6
February 2nd, 2011, 18:55

He didn't yet...

snoopra
February 3rd, 2011, 02:49
I'm thinking of getting a set of these;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&item=270490066780&viewitem=&category=46098#ht_634wt_1165

hahnmgh63
February 3rd, 2011, 03:26
Snoopra, for the price those look like some pretty good catch cans, and $5 less on their website. They are a little longer but skinnier than mine so you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding a place to mount them. Yokurst, I had looked at the 42DD cans before but don't have a good reason why I didn't go with them as they make some great products, I'm currently running one of their 3" downpipes on my tt which is notoriously tight for a 3" downpipe, many companies have tried and only 42DD was successful at making a problem free on. I don't know if I would mount them both on the same side though, I would try to keep the run from the pressure Regulation valves to the Intakes as straight and as short as possible. Low spots or kinks could trap liquids that might slow or plug up ventilation?