PDA

View Full Version : water/meth injection?

2TURBOV8
January 25th, 2011, 04:50
Has anyone done this type of mod to their car? I plan on putting on a water/meth system, and a custom tune with that. The car has stock turbos. It also has gutted pre-cats and cats. What kind of power gains do you think I could expect from that?

Eric :incar:

PALETTE
January 25th, 2011, 05:10
Mike aka ttboost is a very good resource for this Mod. I am in the planning stage of having it installed next week Tuesday with the rest of my Mods. Mike has had this on his TT Porsche for a while

ben916
January 25th, 2011, 06:04
Has anyone done this type of mod to their car? I plan on putting on a water/meth system, and a custom tune with that. The car has stock turbos. It also has gutted pre-cats and cats. What kind of power gains do you think I could expect from that?

Eric :incar:

Eric, you gutting your pre-cat or you purchase some?
How are you gonna smog it?

RS6Steve
January 25th, 2011, 08:28
The number I have seen out of MRC tuning indicate that Water Meth is the way forward. Have you upgraded you intercoolers?

The water meth really helps lower your intake temps especially on Wagner intercoolers, it also help your outlet temp.

2TURBOV8
January 25th, 2011, 14:00
I'm not going to smog it. It has FL. plates, and I'm keeping them. (Military) I'm not dealing with any of these "BS" CA. laws.

4everRS
January 25th, 2011, 14:04
there are several who have done this. Use search. Yes it helps. Im installing this spring. Don't really know if the wagners make a difference to the injection system. Not saying they hurt, just that the injectors are installed after the coolers a couple inches away from the throttle body so they don't come in any contact with the coolers. Ideally you would drill and tap the y pipe with 2 injectors just before TB. Check posts from Yokust on pics

JSRS6
January 25th, 2011, 14:15
I'm not going to smog it. It has FL. plates, and I'm keeping them. (Military) I'm not dealing with any of these "BS" CA. laws.

Ditto here. VA laws suck too. Plus im planning on heading back to FL after my next sandbox tour.

1sadavant
January 26th, 2011, 01:43
To really take advantage of a meth kit, you are going to need to tune for it, sure you will see some gains installing it alone, but having a custom tune is where you will maximize the potential.

V8weight
January 26th, 2011, 01:49
To really take advantage of a meth kit, you are going to need to tune for it, sure you will see some gains installing it alone, but having a custom tune is where you will maximize the potential.
Tuning for methanol injection maximizes power gains, but also increases the risk of engine damage should you run low, or have a pump or line failure, IMO. I'd prefer to install it for the decrease in IAT's, just to reap the timing benefits of my current tune. No fail safes required, no need to worry about running out.

arS6
January 26th, 2011, 02:11
I just tapped my charge pipe and installed the meth injectors. That's all. I haven't found the time to install the tank and pump. Now that it's cold here, I can do without it until it warms up.

I agree with V8weight. I rather not tune it for meth just incase I run out since the tank options aren't that big. I can go through a whole full windshield washer tank of meth/water during one drive if I do some "competitive driving." That's in a 2.7T.

2TURBOV8
January 26th, 2011, 19:07
I am planning on custom tuning the car with the water/meth system. Thats what my original post says. I know the risks of this type of mod. I have the same set-up on my STi. You can tune so that it sprays whenever you want it to. My STi only sprays when it hits 10 PSI, and continues through the power band for instance. So when I just drive the car normal, it never sprays. I also have a green LED on my boost gauge thats lets me know when it is spraying in case the lines get clogged or something. I will also have a light rigged up to let me know when the tank gets so low, so I will never accidentally run out of "boost juice". My STi has this also. If it is done right, the risks are minimal. My orginal question was "What kind of power gains have people gotten from this set-up on an RS6?" Has anyone done a dyno before and after, and knows the actual WHP gain they achieved with this mod? That is what I was curious about.

speedtrapped
January 26th, 2011, 19:13
I plan on installing next month, once complete I will dyno, as my set up stands, 424/505 at the wheels on a dynojet....I will go back to dynojet for meth/water

ben916
January 26th, 2011, 21:41
I plan on installing next month, once complete I will dyno, as my set up stands, 424/505 at the wheels on a dynojet....I will go back to dynojet for meth/water

And then a new 5HF25???

speedtrapped
January 26th, 2011, 22:25
Pls explain to the un enlightened was that is Bem

ben916
January 26th, 2011, 22:29
Pls explain to the un enlightened was that is Bem

That, 5HF25, is a new tippy transmission.

V8weight
January 27th, 2011, 00:43
That, 5HF25, is a new tippy transmission.
Our cars use the 5HP24.... :)

speedtrapped
January 27th, 2011, 00:48
My mechanic thinks it's inevitable..... But I will till I blow tranny before doing anything....

2TURBOV8
January 27th, 2011, 01:30
It's inevitable before the tranny blows on all RS6's. Speedtrapped, let me know how the dyno goes after you have the water/meth kit installed if you would. Thats about the same numbers my car currently makes on a dynojet also. Dynojets give you really high numbers, but not very accurate ones. They don't simulate real driving resistance on the wheels from what I've seen in the past. Mustang dynos are much more accurate, but people don't like them because the numbers aren't as high. Example: My STi puts down 371 WHP on a mustang dyno, and 420 on a dynojet without changing anything. Just food for thought. It will be awhile before I do the water/meth mod, and custom tune. I plan on getting the tranny rebuilt first by TOZO so I know it will withstand the new HP. My car is on its third tranny. The previous two owners both replaced one each. I don't plan on replacing one, so I will make this one as close to "bulletproof" as possible.

ttboost
January 27th, 2011, 01:38
Call EPL in CT. They have Meth'd an RS6 or two and can provide some insight. I have an Aquamist kit on my 996 turbo and am tuned for it on EPL's Mustang dyno. I will eventually have an Aquamist kit on my RS6 as well, with the appropriate tune.

speedtrapped
January 27th, 2011, 02:25
It's inevitable before the tranny blows on all RS6's. Speedtrapped, let me know how the dyno goes after you have the water/meth kit installed if you would. Thats about the same numbers my car currently makes on a dynojet also. Dynojets give you really high numbers, but not very accurate ones. They don't simulate real driving resistance on the wheels from what I've seen in the past. Mustang dynos are much more accurate, but people don't like them because the numbers aren't as high. Example: My STi puts down 371 WHP on a mustang dyno, and 420 on a dynojet without changing anything. Just food for thought. It will be awhile before I do the water/meth mod, and custom tune. I plan on getting the tranny rebuilt first by TOZO so I know it will withstand the new HP. My car is on its third tranny. The previous two owners both replaced one each. I don't plan on replacing one, so I will make this one as close to "bulletproof" as possible.
Agreed dynojet are generous, but we did dyno bone stock on same day, same dynojet so we got some good delta. Bone was 370/395. Give or take, 2 bone stock that day

2TURBOV8
January 27th, 2011, 06:09
370 to 424 WHP! NICE! 370 is about what I thought a bone stock RS6 would put down. Awesome! Be sure you let me know how it turns out on the dyno after the water/meth! Thanks!!!

ttboost
January 27th, 2011, 12:07
Mine made 318/404 bone stock on a Mustang.

2TURBOV8
January 27th, 2011, 13:58
Wow! Thats nice to know. 370 vs 318 WHP on a dynojet vs a mustang bone stock. Dynojets continue to be generous and mustangs continue to be more accurate.

speedtrapped
January 27th, 2011, 14:05
it really doesnt matter, in the sense that when u dyno 2 cars, 1 w/ mods vs 1 stock, the delta at least gives u an idea of gains....when i did mustang, originally my stock #'s where lower

ttboost
January 27th, 2011, 14:05
As has been said a thousand times, don't get hung up on the dyno number. Just pay attention to your increases on whatever dyno you are on. You can't compare to other cars that have been on other dyno's. Even similar dyno's can have different setup parameters for different areas. Get the best number you can on your dyno, then go out and get some real world numbers were it counts, then compare!!!

PALETTE
January 27th, 2011, 15:55
I'm all set install going as planned!! Tuesday we are installing New Timing belt and all the needed parts/ Water pump/ New plugs/ fuel filter/ Wagner coolers/ and Auqamist Meth kit.
Hope to have it back for Thursday night of Friday morning. I will then be putting it on the Dyno on Saturday here and see how it fairs against everyone else. Hopeing to hit the 400-450whp.
I have the Downpipes on route to me but i might wait till i have to do the Intake and the TC to install them.
Stay tuned....

speedtrapped
January 27th, 2011, 16:01
Nice, when u get the stock IC's home, bench test them, i bet ya they leak......btw avatar is great.

PALETTE
January 27th, 2011, 16:07
Intresting you say that!! i have been seeing a small sweat coming from the end tank seam when we had it up. I bet you are right on the money!

Thanks on the Avatar, the one gift i bought my 6 month old after i got my car back i said" if they steal my car again at least you will have fastest Audi in this house!" LOL

speedtrapped
January 27th, 2011, 16:11
my #'s never really indicated a leak, between specified and actual boost.....but then I made a pressure tester and manullay pumped air in, woosh,wooosh,woosh....

2TURBOV8
January 27th, 2011, 17:26
You have to get the RS6 Venair hose kit, and some T-bolt clamps. Stock ones will not hold. I sure the Wagner IC kit comes with some hoses also, but does it comes with the turbo hoses?

speedtrapped
January 27th, 2011, 17:36
the kit does, but i didnt buy them, i have venair and t clamps on the wagners

PALETTE
January 27th, 2011, 21:47
just noticed this if anyone is looking http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=47659&title=water-2fmeth-kit-snow-performance-stage-2&cat=19