PDA

View Full Version : Summary of initial RS3 road tests

tailpipe
January 24th, 2011, 15:08
This ought to be called a 'summary of initial snow tests' rather than road tests, since the only occasion that journalists have had to test the RS3 was at a somewhat one-dimensional Audi Canada event at Mount Tremblant in Quebec. So far all of the major UK publications (Autocar, Evo, Auto Express, Top Gear, and Car) have driven the car. I believe that German, French and Italian journalists were also present. A number of online magazines have also experienced the car, including Fourtitude. Though somewhat limited by the snowy conditions and surfaces afforded by the test, early impressions are hugely positive. My take on the collective judgement provided by these tests is as follows:

Although the RS3 is based on a mature platform, the changes under the skin are significant enough to provide a substantially different driving experience from the S3 let alone a standard A3. The RS3 distinguished itself on the snowy test circuit lapping with extraordinary speed and control. On ordinary roads, it is expected to set a blisteringly quick A to B pace that will belie its looks and set a performance benchmark for the hot hatch category.

The Haldex AWD system is obviously front wheel biased, but it does an admirable job of transferring power to the rear wheels as the situation demands. The wider 19" front wheels help reduce if not eliminate understeer versus the S3 and other super hot hatches such as the Golf R and Ford Focus RS, which tend to understeer on the limit.

The styling tweaks are judged to be subtle - too subtle for some - and in keeping with the traditional understated approach Audi prefers for its RS models. Although the front air dams are large and somewhat aggressive, especially with the optional matt aluminium package that frames these openings to accentuate their size, there really isn't much else to indicate the performance potential of the car.

The combination of the new 5-cylinder engine and 7-speed S-Tronic dual clutch gearbox was liked a lot. Together they make the car easy and enjoyable to drive fast. A major criticism is the steering which is accused of lacking directness and feel. However, the chassis and AWD system do much to overcome such limitations due to the ease with which the car can be drifted through long sweeping corners. Though the RS3 is immensely powerful, it never feels anything other than surefooted and stable even on snow and ice. Though some testers complained about the ride, most said that although firm it was not too hard or uncomfortable.

- Impressive economy and emissions for such a powerful car
- New 7-speed S-Tronic auto gearbox
- Sheer power of the thing
- Interior quality
- 0-100 kph understated
- Handling balance
- Grin factor

Dislikes
- Steering lacks feel
- Firmness of the suspension
- A3 near platform replacement date
- Not available in USA
- Price

The RS6
January 24th, 2011, 15:35
You should call that summary of all Audi RS tests :D

(flame suit on)

I honestly couldn't care less about what the "newspaper gentlemen" say...

TrY&BuY...or don't

I know I'd love the RS3, I can guarantee my father would hate it down to the last miligram.

It's always a matter of personal opinion, expectations and taste.

tailpipe
January 25th, 2011, 14:23
You should call that summary of all Audi RS tests :D

I hope your comments prove to be right. If Audi has indeed created an RS model that is the same as it's great predecessors, then I for one will be happy.

A lot of people have pre-judged the RS3 because it is based on the somewhat average basic 5-door A3. The Lancia Delta Integrale was also based on a basic 5-door Lancia Delta chassis. Long after we've forgotten the mainstream Lancia Delta, we remember the Integrale. It was an absolutely mind-blowing car at the time bought by younger drivers (like i was back then) who couldn't afford an Audi Quattro, and was completely different car with little more than a physical resemblance to its lesser-powered sibling.

I have a feeling that the RS3 is going to be the same. I am very much looking forward to odd-ball YouTube videos that show an RS3 being tested versus a Porsche 911 Carrera, BMW M5, and other exotic machinery and BEATING THE HELL out of them.

The one thing that no tests so far have mentioned is the need for an optional extra not provided by Audi. This is of course a speed trap radar detector. (Me, officer? Speeding? No, no, it can't be right; this is just a humble A3?... How fast? 170* mph? No, no, you must have faulty equipment.)

*Ungoverned.

Orangemig
January 26th, 2011, 14:30
I know what you mean about the Integrale... I happen to have one kept with 10k kms on the odo.