PDA

View Full Version : BMW abandoning N/A in-line six in favour of four cilinder turbo!

AndyBG
January 21st, 2011, 21:09
It seems that BMW's ''pride'', three liter six cilinder N/A engine is thing of past...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/01/bmw-officially-confirms-20-liter-turbo.html

Toto89
January 22nd, 2011, 10:41
Logical move from BMW. Interesting that nowadays every premium car maker seems to develop turbo or 4WD cars or maybe both, while Audi has said 30 years ago that 4WD turbo cars are the future... By the way, i still keep think that Audi should put 4 cylinder turbo engine in the C7 series (both A6 & A7) for replacing the 2.8 V6!

AndyBG
January 22nd, 2011, 14:51
Audi is been saying that for 30 years, but in 2011 it still has highest number of N/A engines (2.8, 3.2, 4.2, 6.3) and lowest number of 4WD cars...

Toto89
January 22nd, 2011, 14:56
What do you mean with lowest numbers of 4WD cars?

AndyBG
January 23rd, 2011, 13:04
Number of 4WD cars offered by Audi is lowest cmpared to BMW and Mercedes!

...I hope someone here can prove wrong< but last time checked that was the situation...

Joker
January 23rd, 2011, 13:36
Number of 4WD cars offered by Audi is lowest cmpared to BMW and Mercedes!

...I hope someone here can prove wrong< but last time checked that was the situation...

I think I understand what you mean. BMW and Mercedes offer a great range of model with awd, is that correct?

Audi do the following models with qattro, A1(soon), A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, Q5, Q7, TT and R8, so basically every model they make they offer an awd version, do BMW or Mercedes do that?

Another thing to consider, both these other brand offer a great range of models, yet if you could get exact figures for each brand I am also quite sure that you will see Audi sell more awd cars than either BMW or Mercedes do from less overall sales which would prove that Audi were still the leaders in this.

If I'm wrong sorry about the waffling. :looking:

AndyBG
January 23rd, 2011, 15:14
I still somehow think that concurention has better offer in 4WD segment...

Little example:

A4 2.0 TDI quattro and A5 2.0 TDI quattro aren't offered with auto' gearbox option, while both MBs and BMWs alternatives for these Audis are available with 4WD and auto' gearbox together...

Joker
January 23rd, 2011, 15:28
I still somehow think that concurention has better offer in 4WD segment...

Little example:

A4 2.0 TDI quattro and A5 2.0 TDI quattro aren't offered with auto' gearbox option, while both MBs and BMWs alternatives for these Audis are available with 4WD and auto' gearbox together...

Apologize, I looked at your post and thought it you had said TFSI, not the diesel TDI, so you are indeed right.

Another thing worth considering is that Audi offer a full sports package with either quattro or not, BMW don't and I am not sure Mercedes do either.

The only finger that I think you can point at Audi is to not offer as big a range of SUV vehicles, apart from that I think Audi excess all expectations when it comes to awd and will probably continue this into the future.