PDA

View Full Version : Outlasted my marriage!

Bigglezworth
January 21st, 2011, 17:45
..........sigh..... Sometimes I really wonder which was worse. My marriage or the RS6's suspension. :lovl:

220000 miles/355000 kms and the DRC has finally TANKED on my blue beast. It managed to outlast my marriage (although I was married for longer... lol). Yes I have a folder with the entire repair history on the car minus perhaps a couple of items just prior to purchase and those that I have since provided myself and there is nothing for the DRC. That leads me to believe that this was an original set-up that appears to have gone the distance - per see.

That aside though, I have to say with all the posts that have occured on this forum related to this one specific item, I quickly question why owners on a number of those posts 'queried' on whether or not in fact their suspension had failed? There is no question when failure has occured IMO. It is blarringly obvious. Feels like the bottom of your car has fallen out, rattles the teeth out of your head, wobbles back and forth from corner to corner when one zone has gone, and squeeks galore.

One of my local stealerships is going to be replacing the system under the AONA recall. They are suppose to have two certified RS6 mechanics on staff, but I will still go through a hit list to ensure they are aware of all the things the expanded user base has come across and the wealth of knowledge those on this forum widely share on the matter. Second beast will go in for springtime when I put it back on the road and getting it ready to sell.

I can't wait to see the look on their eyes when they see the mileage. I think I'm one of the few that is exited about getting something entirely new on a car that has significantly more mileage than that of the average user on this forum. :)

On a lighter note, now that the past 6 months of turmoil with my illfated marriage are behind me, I'm celebrating my first non-anniversary and first Valentines day without a spouse and have scheduled an appointment for a few dyno pulls on Calgary's first 4 wheel dyno. Will post data once completed.

Tim

ben916
January 21st, 2011, 17:54
Congrats on the longest lasting DRC @222000 miles! That is quite an accomplishment!

I don't know whether to congratulate you or console you on the other ill-fated item.
Another way to look at it is that now you can go to the Texas World Speedway and rip both of those RS6 around the track :)

hahnmgh63
January 21st, 2011, 17:55
Tim, considering the cars high mileage I would ask the dealer to install new upper strut/shock mounts front & rear as the rubber in your car has to have taken a beating. I can't remember the cost of them but I think it was $150 or less for all four. Maybe you could even talk the dealer into picking up the tab as they don't do the mounts with the recall.

twinsteve
January 21st, 2011, 19:14
I got my RS6 literally within a week of my to-be-ex wife moving out....

Bigglezworth
January 21st, 2011, 19:31
Funny. Adding a second one to my already vast fleet of cars was one of the items that contributed to throwing things over the edge for my wife. :doh:

LIRS6
January 21st, 2011, 22:11
Funny. Adding a second one to my already vast fleet of cars was one of the items that contributed to throwing things over the edge for my wife. :doh:

Trust she had more than 2 pairs of shoes: :hahahehe:

covertw12
January 21st, 2011, 23:54
Me TOO ! second thing I did..... first being a great bottle of wine to celebrate.

Aronis
January 24th, 2011, 01:24
WOW 220,000 miles.. hows the rest of the car holding up? Turbos? Engine?//

Mike

I have 108,000 miles...

mmaturo
January 24th, 2011, 06:27

LOL....ummmm my car is my gift to myself in mid '05 when my first marriage ended...much better replacement. Wow on the milage...amazing. Gives me faith to maybe suck it up and just keep mine for the long haul. Are you still on an original transmission too?? If you are I may cry.

Jimmy
January 24th, 2011, 19:56
Wow....amazing mileage on the car Tim. Congrats ! Proof positive that these cars are meant to be driven and will go the distance with the right owner/maintenance regime.

Well, many marriages just don't work out; here's hoping the split is amicable for yous both...unfortunately, no recalls under warranty for a fix in that arena.

Bigglezworth
January 29th, 2011, 01:05
Are you still on an original transmission too?? If you are I may cry.

WOW 220,000 miles.. hows the rest of the car holding up? Turbos? Engine?

Tranny changed at 100K. Uncertain of reason why, but have the receipt for it. Turbo's also replaced. Again, uncertain of reason. Lots of other odds and sods along with the many many brake changes, etc. I'd have to say that the specialty team at Cosworth certainly are good at what they do as a I performed a wet and dry compression test and have no variance between wet and dry and all cylinders are less than 3% off original stock OEM values.

Got the car back this morning. Total swap was just over one day. Hang up was the fact that they originally couldn't get the dampers out of the top turning knuckle on both sides. Got that 'swell' call stating that they have bars and penetrating fluid on it, and concernd it may snap. At which point I would see a nice add of $750.00 each.... argh. Hate it when a 'system' like the DRC fails, and the only thing covered is the actual dampers themselves. Vavles, and all other parts that may not be easily removed and subesquently get damaged as part of the repair would have been on my bill. Thankfully my local crew did everything they could to ensure that didn't occur and as a result I'm now riding on the new dampers. Certainly does make a difference in the ride from what I've been suffering through for the past 4 weeks.... 100% shot. lol

Anyway, opted to pass on the dealer installing the bushing as the bill to supply and install was slightly less than 1G! Will look to purchase the bushings out of the states along with some lowering springs and put those items in in the spring when I do the control arms also.