PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Steering Wheel

Cue
January 21st, 2011, 09:52
Hello All,

I am new here. I have recently purchased a 2009 RS6 in Taiwan (where I work partially), I will be going over there next week to see the actual car for the first time. The car was purchased from the authorize Audi there with 1500km only. One thing puzzled me was the steering wheel (see photo attached), I know the RS6 should come with round airbag-flat bottom steering wheel, but this car came with the standard A6 steering wheel, I asked them about it, but they told me the car came this way from factory!? Please let me know if that is possible? Or They have swapped out the RS6 piece and replaced it with something else.

Does anyone know if there is any 2009 RS6 out there with the "round" steering wheel?

Please let me know, I appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!!
Charles

Erik
January 21st, 2011, 11:32
Hi and welcome. Will you be able to bring the car to the US when moving back?

There were a few different steering wheels to chose from.

That would most likely be the mutli-functional steering wheel, which exists with 3 and 4 spoke. The 4 spoke does not have an RS6 logo, and it looks like that's the one you've got.

There also an RS mutli-functional steering wheel.

All with paddles.

This is taken from page 48/49 in the RS6 book. I have a few :)

JSRS6
January 21st, 2011, 13:28
It looks like it still has the small logo like the c5 rs6's have at the bottom at least.

skribe
January 21st, 2011, 16:14
Yes, the flat bottom one is slicker, but file this under "great problems to have."

No doubt it would be a direct swap for other newer wheels which can be had for 1k or so.

Bring that bad boy into the states. Drive it to Audi NA headquarters. Sit in the parking lot and rev the engine.

:addict:

CornersWell
January 21st, 2011, 17:24
How difficult would it be to swap out a new flat-bottomed wheel on the C5 RS6?

CW

ben916
January 21st, 2011, 17:25
Erik knows more about this but from what I remember:

the C5 US RS6 only had the 3 spoke.
the C5 UK RS6 had either the 3 spoke standard or 4 spoke multi function.

the C6 RS6 has the 3 spoke or the 4 spoke flat bottom thing.

Also, slightly off topic but could relate, Matt @ Raven in Long Beach, CA has retrofitted a C5 RS6 with an R8 steering wheel with a functional airbag.

SAF
January 21st, 2011, 19:19
Can someone post a pic of the 4 spoke wheel you're talking about? That pic in the OP sure looks like a 3 to me.

JSRS6
January 21st, 2011, 19:48
The steering wheel in the pic is a three spoke. And has a RS6 logo at the bottom, like ours.

SAF
January 21st, 2011, 21:24
That would most likely be the mutli-functional steering wheel, which exists with 3 and 4 spoke. The 4 spoke does not have an RS6 logo, and it looks like that's the one you've got.

The steering wheel in the pic is a three spoke. And has a RS6 logo at the bottom, like ours.

That's what I thought - until I read Erik's post. Thought maybe my eyes were still recovering from that RS6 pic on the other thread. LOL

Cue
January 22nd, 2011, 07:15
Thank you all for your replies.

The steering wheel that is on the car now (in the photo) is the 3 spoke multi-function. It looks exactly like the steering wheel that I had on my S5. Yes, it has a RS6 logo at the bottom (I called my office to see in person).

All I care now is that if the steering wheel on the car is (or possibly be) directly installed from the factory. In that case, I will just leave it as is, since it is still "all original". But if none of C6 RS6 out there had this setup directly from the factory, that means someone (seller) swapped out the original RS6 flat bottom wheel after the deal was done, if so, I will demand they install the original item back to the car.

So are you saying the steering wheel that I have "can" be the original wheel installed on the car when it roll out of Audi production? I just don't want to be robbed.

I don't think I want to mess with swapping out the steering wheel (if it is "original"), as it can be problematic. I bought a flat bottom multi-function flat bottom Audi steering wheel (can't remember which model) on ebay about 18 months ago for my S5, I had GMG hired someone rewrap it with red/black 2 tone alcantara, it was all done very nicely, but GMG can't resolve the airbag issue for it (they installed it and took it off, and installed it and took it off.....) Now the S5 is sold, and I still have the alcantara flat bottom steering wheel sitting on GMG's shelf......

So please let me know if the steering wheel on my RS6 can possible be the original factory installed item??? So I can rest my mind either way.

I don't think it will be easy to bring it to the state, can have a big problem with DOT, don't think there is anyway I can homologicate it with DOT without Audi's help, and I don't think they will. So far I heard there were 3 C6 RS6 imported by MTM Canada, and Audi stopped it.

So far I have bought the ECU upgrade from APR for the car, the software got installed about 2 weeks ago, also bought MTM's lowering spring and the 20mm spacers. I think this will be a good modest upgrade without compromising ride comfort.

I will be arriving in Taiwan on Monday to see/drive the car for the first time :) Hope it is as good as I expected!! :) (a lot of expectation here!!)

Thank you again, you guys are great!!
Charles

Cue
January 22nd, 2011, 07:16

All with paddles.

Not sure how to do the reply correctly yet :)

Thank you all for your replies.

The steering wheel that is on the car now (in the photo) is the 3 spoke multi-function. It looks exactly like the steering wheel that I had on my S5. Yes, it has a RS6 logo at the bottom (I called my office to see in person).

All I care now is that if the steering wheel on the car is (or possibly be) directly installed from the factory. In that case, I will just leave it as is, since it is still "all original". But if none of C6 RS6 out there had this setup directly from the factory, that means someone (seller) swapped out the original RS6 flat bottom wheel after the deal was done, if so, I will demand they install the original item back to the car.

So are you saying the steering wheel that I have "can" be the original wheel installed on the car when it roll out of Audi production? I just don't want to be robbed.

I don't think I want to mess with swapping out the steering wheel (if it is "original"), as it can be problematic. I bought a flat bottom multi-function flat bottom Audi steering wheel (can't remember which model) on ebay about 18 months ago for my S5, I had GMG hired someone rewrap it with red/black 2 tone alcantara, it was all done very nicely, but GMG can't resolve the airbag issue for it (they installed it and took it off, and installed it and took it off.....) Now the S5 is sold, and I still have the alcantara flat bottom steering wheel sitting on GMG's shelf......

So please let me know if the steering wheel on my RS6 can possible be the original factory installed item??? So I can rest my mind either way.

I don't think it will be easy to bring it to the state, can have a big problem with DOT, don't think there is anyway I can homologicate it with DOT without Audi's help, and I don't think they will. So far I heard there were 3 C6 RS6 imported by MTM Canada, and Audi stopped it.

So far I have bought the ECU upgrade from APR for the car, the software got installed about 2 weeks ago, also bought MTM's lowering spring and the 20mm spacers. I think this will be a good modest upgrade without compromising ride comfort.

I will be arriving in Taiwan on Monday to see/drive the car for the first time :) Hope it is as good as I expected!! :) (a lot of expectation here!!)

Thank you again, you guys are great!!
Charles

Cue
January 22nd, 2011, 07:23
Here is another interior pic with the steering wheel. Charles

Cue
January 22nd, 2011, 07:49

All with paddles.

Hi Erik,

Now I see what you meant, took me a while to find the RS6 book page 48/49. Okay, I can rest my mind now, I guess I was not robbed after all. There are 4 options for the steering wheel from the factory, but never seen anyone picked anything other than the 3 spoke flat bottom piece.

The previous owner of my car does not have good taste :(

I will probably keep it this way without messing around with it.

Thank you again for your help!!

Oh, one more question here,

After APR installed my ECU, they offered me a free upgrade to the next stage (up to around 750hp) if I change out my full exhaust system, including the cats. The local APR dealer offered me "Superspprint" Exhaust system which I had not heard before. They said they will still honor the free upgrade if I decided to use the MTM exhaust. This will be my daily driver over there, kinda like it to be more quiet, I am not sure how loud they will be and the level of droning?? But I do want the 750hp! :)

Please give me your thoughts on this. Thank you!!!
Charles

ben916
January 22nd, 2011, 08:18
Can someone post a pic of the 4 spoke wheel you're talking about? That pic in the OP sure looks like a 3 to me.

AFTER much searching:
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/1863-How-many-beasts-are-on-the-board-Audi-RS6?p=44879&viewfull=1#post44879

JSRS6
January 22nd, 2011, 12:42
Here is another interior pic with the steering wheel. Charles

Well, if anything, its more sleeper-ish on the inside...