PDA

View Full Version : My first day of ownership

Alan
September 27th, 2003, 00:03
Picked up the beast this morning and haven't stopped driving it. You know it all already - great torque, predictable handling with low speed understeer and the brakes are among the world's best. I really doubt that my C4S would get me anywhere faster (except on the track or very twisty roads) than this 2 ton 5 seater.

Some other observations - It is amazing how much technology and luxury 85K buys compared to my C4S. Both cars are awd, both cost the same but the RS6 is 450hp and the C4S is 315 hp. Oh well nothing new, we Porschephiles have known for years that there's a reason why Porsche is the world's most profitable car company - we pay dearly for our p-car passion.

I observed that hard core car nuts know the RS6, but the rest of the unwashed masses haven't a clue. A young man driving a nice modded Honda just about broke his neck looking at the RS6. Another young guy in a spoiler equipped M roadster tried to run with me but with a half hearted acceleration run to around 3500 RPM, I left him a few car lengths behind. My mother-in-law thought that my new car was actually my daughter's new Jetta. Both cars are blue, so I can understand her mistake. :trash:

Are you guys following the break-in procedure. There was (is) alot of controversy about break-in on the p-cars. Half say follow the rules, half say full speed ahead after the brakes and tries are ready. What's the concensus here?

bilbozilla
September 27th, 2003, 00:41
I'm actually waiting for a response from AOA. They contacted quattro GMBH in regards to this and should have a reponse for me on Monday. I actually received a phone call today from AoA just to tell me they are waiting for the counterparts overseas to confirm correct break-in procedure.

Bauer
September 27th, 2003, 02:55
Glad to hear you are enjoying the new car. As for break in, I followed (sort of) the book. Did go into the 5500 range a few times but not many. I was told that the motors were already broken in by Cosworth but to follow the book to be safe.

A good friend of mine who has extensive experience from building race cars to owning a BMW repair and mod shop told me a long time ago that the warm up and cool down are the most important aspects of breaking in and taking care of the motor. He said to vary speed on the motor as it says in book and to always wait until you have OIL temp movement before going over 3000 rpm. Lastly he said when you start the car to let idle for 30 to 60 seconds to let the oil reach all parts in the engine.

I have followed his advice and never had a car burn exsesive oil or need engine repairs.

By the way I am at 3500 miles and not a drop of oil has been burned. :cheers:

Benman
September 27th, 2003, 04:38
Alan,

great to hear how much you're enjoying your Beast. As Bauer says it doesn't hurt to follow the "safe" break in proceedure even though the engines are pre run before delivery. I followed the advice in the manual to the "t" (i was able to wait ALL that time to get the Beast, why be impatient now?) and like Bauer have not used one drop of oil and have 3400 miles.

And yes. The stealth factor is great. Especially in Daytona Grey. The enthusiasts KNOW what it is. And the rest just see another Jetta:hihi: :cheers:

Ben:addict: (gotta go for another drive!)

avdh
September 27th, 2003, 09:43
Congrats.

Go with what Bauer says. More damage is done to cars when they are cold than any other time.
With turbo's, specially those on the RS6 which start spinning low down, always give it abit of time when switching off, as the moment you switch off the engine, it cuts the oil pump and if your turbos are still spinning they will eventually gwt damaged.

Be patient, a proper running in of an engine with benefit you in the long run.

RS6FEVR
September 27th, 2003, 14:35
:cheers: Alan
Guess that break in question is as old as Henry Ford! Car enthusiasts on this board seem to have a good handle on what to do, and this being my first turbo car, gave me what I think is good information about the warm up and cool down periods,. I still try to allow at least a minimum of 2 minutes warm up and cool down. Most of the time I get ready for either and cycle through the system check in the dic to see how they look while she's cooling or warming. IMHO, the use in between should include not maxing out r's until we get 750 - 1000 miles on the systems. I too have been blessed with no oil burning/adding in the 3100 miles she's got now, so maybe part of it is taking it sensibly during break in. Keep having fun, the break in will be over before you know it!

:addict: FEVR :addict:

TheBrit
September 27th, 2003, 19:54
Originally posted by Alan
It is amazing how much technology and luxury 85K buys compared to my C4S.
If only we'd had you over on AudiWorld during the "Lets post how overpriced and underperforming the RS 6 is even though we've never driven one" days on AudiWorld...

Go with what Bauer says about warming up and cooling down, and stick to the book's break-in procedure & you'll be fine.

I kept to the stated break-in procedure and I always allow the oil temp to move at least half-way to the first notch before going above half revs (Euro gauges, so that means about 70C), and I'm now over 21,000 miles and 10 months and it runs like a dream.

Enjoy, have fun & be safe! :addict:

Chris.