PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a C-5 US edition RNS-E or RNS-E plus for sale.

M5 Eater
January 19th, 2011, 22:41
Hello All:
I've been looking for a C-5 US edition RNS-E / RNS-E plus (W/ req. cables and harnesses) for sale and can't find one that is in excellent or new condition. If anyone knows of one that is available please let me know.

Thanks,
M5 Eater

JSRS6
January 20th, 2011, 00:34
http://www.vagnavs.com/Audi3.html

Holiday
January 20th, 2011, 00:48
New or used? If new...that's a steal.

M5 Eater
January 20th, 2011, 00:57
Yeah I looked on there and also called them. They are backlogged with none in supply, the guy said that he would call me when they get them in. The price isn't that bad either, as far as I know the units are new and it comes with all the harnesses, cables, and tools with it.

Holiday - I might need the guys info that you used to put yours in or someone else that is some what local.

Speedtrapped - Do you know of someone in NJ that can do the install? I might just try to do it when I come up there.

nistah
January 20th, 2011, 01:39
M5 as we discussed last weekend, I too have been looking for one of these units.

I located these euro spec units for sale on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-NAVIGATION-PLUS-RNS-E-RADIO-97-04-A6-C5-ALLROAD-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d296bd091QQitemZ40012 6890129QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

However I cannot get the seller to give me a straight answer on if their units are flashed with US firmware software, they said they installed one stateside with no issues and that it was plug and play.

If I could confirm that they were flashed with us firm/software I would buy instantly...however due to the lack of communication & firm answer on this from the seller, at this point I am hesitant to buy only to be stuck with the chore of getting the unit flashed myself taking up additional time and effort on my end.

Maybe you might try messaging the seller to see what they say....keep me posted

Cheers,

marklar182
January 20th, 2011, 01:44
New or used? If new...that's a steal.

"refurbished" is the answer I got back in August.

They are not US units, they are Euro flashed with US firmware. A US RNS-E is hard to find and way more $$$ when you do find one.

Try contacting this guy for a good NEW Euro unit flashed with US firmware and harness; (Albert) haaggie@gmail.com

He is outside the US, but has a great reputation on audiforum.us

speedtrapped
January 20th, 2011, 02:02
Josh, Dion has a great audio guy, just installed my aftermkt head unit on Monday , harness and din all in $150.00, clean work

M5 Eater
January 20th, 2011, 02:12
Josh, Dion has a great audio guy, just installed my aftermkt head unit on Monday , harness and din all in $150.00, clean work

Well it looks like I will be contacting Dion and letting him know that I will have that as well. I will coming back home with a brand new RS6 when I'm done! Sweet!!!!

Holiday
January 20th, 2011, 02:17
"refurbished" is the answer I got back in August.

They are not US units, they are Euro flashed with US firmware. A US RNS-E is hard to find and way more $$$ when you do find one.

Try contacting this guy for a good NEW Euro unit flashed with US firmware and harness; (Albert) haaggie@gmail.com

He is outside the US, but has a great reputation on audiforum.us

I believe Albert is who I bought mine through several years ago. It was a terrific transaction- his english and communication in general, was excellent. He insured that I received everything I would need for the install to be "plug and play". I'd go with him again if I had to do it over.
M5 Eater- the reason I had Lee's brother do the install was due to the fact that he was installing Lee's BT kit at the same time. My confidence level in the local shops was low, and I wanted a sure shot- so it only made sense. Of note- both Albert and Lee include instructions on how to install their kits, but it's not written for amateur's ala' Crutchfield!

M5 Eater
January 20th, 2011, 02:43
I believe Albert is who I bought mine through several years ago. It was a terrific transaction- his english and communication in general, was excellent. He insured that I received everything I would need for the install to be "plug and play". I'd go with him again if I had to do it over.
M5 Eater- the reason I had Lee's brother do the install was due to the fact that he was installing Lee's BT kit at the same time. My confidence level in the local shops was low, and I wanted a sure shot- so it only made sense. Of note- both Albert and Lee include instructions on how to install their kits, but it's not written for amateur's ala' Crutchfield!

Did your unit from Albert come with North American disc's?

Holiday
January 20th, 2011, 03:40
Did your unit from Albert come with North American disc's?

Yes- Disc (you only need one these days), harness, everything you need in one box. Before pulling the trigger, I'd consider the end result you're after. If you eventually plan to add-on XM radio, BT, iPod adapter, etc- you may want to consider installing these items at the same time, seeing as many of them require the same panels to be removed.

M5 Eater
January 20th, 2011, 04:04
very good observation....

ben916
January 20th, 2011, 08:15
M5 as we discussed last weekend, I too have been looking for one of these units.

I located these euro spec units for sale on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-NAVIGATION-PLUS-RNS-E-RADIO-97-04-A6-C5-ALLROAD-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d296bd091QQitemZ40012 6890129QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

However I cannot get the seller to give me a straight answer on if their units are flashed with US firmware software, they said they installed one stateside with no issues and that it was plug and play.

If I could confirm that they were flashed with us firm/software I would buy instantly...however due to the lack of communication & firm answer on this from the seller, at this point I am hesitant to buy only to be stuck with the chore of getting the unit flashed myself taking up additional time and effort on my end.

Maybe you might try messaging the seller to see what they say....keep me posted

Cheers,
i saw this one also and I am considerably close to Long Beach than you but there are others that might be closer (Brav or Matt @ Raven)

PALETTE
January 20th, 2011, 19:14
http://www.vagnavs.com/Audi3.html

Yea End of Feb they called me Saturday to confirm..... :(

CornersWell
January 20th, 2011, 19:24
Eater,

FYI, I just went through an extensive install of an RNS-E, Bluetooth, new XM module and Dice iPod player. The installer I used comes very well regarded. It took him several attempts to get everything working properly. He was reasonably priced, and he took as long as it took to get it right. If you want his name, PM me.

CW

nistah
February 8th, 2011, 21:29
I just bought my RNS-E and after reviewing install notes here http://www.htms.org/rnse.html noticed that I am missing the GPS extension cable for RNS-E which is Figure 3 on the previous link. Can I complete the install with out the GPS extension cable or must I purchase one? Thanks<!

marklar182
February 8th, 2011, 21:47
I recomend NOT using the extension cable to the sharkfin, and just putting the "puck" antenna above the cluster.

Much easier!

hahnmgh63
February 8th, 2011, 22:24
Everyone, getting a good condition Euro unit is as good or even better than a U.S. unit as VIM (Video in Motion) is unlocked and you don't get the stupid U.S. Lawyers startup screen that gives you the extra 30sec to 1 minute of stupid warnings. I have had a reflashed Euro unit in my RS6 for 4 years and love it. Once it is reflashsed there is no differences except the improvements noted above and the fact that a couple of the buttons are labeled somewhat different but still the same meaning. Nistah, depending on how handy you are with the wiring I was able to stretch the cable from my Onstar in the passenger footwell bulkhead to the back of my unit when I installed my bluetooth a little over a year ago. Although, if you received the little magnetic GPS antenna (which I used for 3 years originally), it works just as good as the Sharkfin antenna if placed behind the instrument cluster.

mmaturo
February 9th, 2011, 05:16
I recomend NOT using the extension cable to the sharkfin, and just putting the "puck" antenna above the cluster.

Much easier!

I'm on my second Euro unit (sold my first one when i though i was selling my car a few years ago)...from Haggie or Vagnavs they are all refurbished units (actually just good examples pulled). They are really in new like condition. I bought my first one from Vagnav guy 5 years ago (since he is or was in Chicago), second one off of another forum when someone posted it. The install of the unit, XM module and GPS is very easy especially with my additional comments that show up in the threads here w a search. I am not at all skilled and scared to death of touching the wiring but even i found this easy. Beating it to death here but...DO NOT BOTHER TEARING YOUR CAR APART TO GET TO THE SHARKFIN...MOUNTING THE ANTENNA THAT COMES WITH MOST KITS IN THE SPOT IN THE DASH BEHIND THE CLUSTER WORKS GREAT. I'm in downtown Chicago and i get a signal instantly when out of my garage, I have never had any issues in almost 6 years now with 2 units.

nistah
February 9th, 2011, 14:52
Is it even neccessary to install the puck antenna or will the unit work sans antenna???

hahnmgh63
February 9th, 2011, 15:46
The GPS will not work without the antenna plugged in but you could just plug in the harness and the radio antennas for those functions but the little GPS antenna's are pretty cheap.

PALETTE
February 9th, 2011, 16:25
I might pull the trigger on this unit today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&item=400126890129&viewitem=&category=169363

or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-Navigation-RNS-E-Satellite-Unit-map-DVD-included_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26 ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d3Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3 d6968246659618348167QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQcategory Z169363QQitemZ270701342999

marklar182
February 9th, 2011, 16:47
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-Navigation-RNS-E-Satellite-Unit-map-DVD-included_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26 ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d3Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3 d6968246659618348167QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQcategory Z169363QQitemZ270701342999

Incorrect model, Won't fit!

Jimmy
February 9th, 2011, 20:43
Recently, like a few days ago I think.... 'zawa' from NJ is advertising a new 2010 NAV for sale over at Quattroworld (and at Audiworld) in the allroad section(s). New features incorporated sound nice.

He also has the C5 surround plate I think he said...check it out.

hahnmgh63
February 10th, 2011, 01:34
Yea, second unit won't work in a C5, the first unit will work just fine.

PALETTE
February 12th, 2011, 04:21
Yea, second unit won't work in a C5, the first unit will work just fine.

So i guess that will be the ticket. I just need to get Nav DVD's

nistah
February 28th, 2011, 14:47
Stupid question,

I've completed my RNS-E insall (Geek Squad @ best buy got it all in for $60) I am still waiting on the DVD map which should arrive in the mail today. Can anyone advise me if the DVD map for RNS-E can run in the exisiting DVD bay in the trunk or if it needs to be run directly on the single in Dash slot behind the RNS-E?
Thanks@!:race:

JSRS6
February 28th, 2011, 14:50
In the DVD slot behind the screen.

marklar182
February 28th, 2011, 21:40
The exisiting DVD bay in the trunk is now non-functional.

The RNS-E is internal DVD based, so you have to choose one at a time; NAV or Audio CD. But you can listen to MP3's off the SD slots while you have in the NAV DVD.

hahnmgh63
March 1st, 2011, 00:56
Nistah, I'm assuming by DVD in the trunk you mean for the old RNS-D unit? If you mean the CD changer that will still work but the old Nav disc reader is now junk and might as well be removed as it is just dead weight.