PDA

View Full Version : Beginner looking to potentially tune a 2003 RS6

jek187
January 19th, 2011, 18:44
My current daily driver is a 2002 Z06 which I love dearly (and a Dodge Durango in the winter, meh) but I've finally been convinced by a strong practical female voice (read: wife) that I should make my daily car something suitable to carry our two kids with me, year-round. I'd love to achieve a CW:HP ratio similar to the Vette's, although I recognize this may not be doable. I've gone through and looked at all the AWD sedans/SUVs out there, and stock, the '03 RS6 appears to be the fastest.

However, after seeing what can be done economically to Evos and STis (both of which have backseats that're too small), I feel I'd be remiss if I didn't explore tuning the potential sedans I'm looking at. So I'll be checking into tuning options for some of its competitors, and of course it's only fair to do the same for the RS6. :)

I've never even so much as initiated a tune on a vehicle I've owned (much less doing it myself, totally out of the question, lol) so in a perfect world, I'm looking for someone to say "buy these parts for $X, have your mechanic install them and you're good to go."

So far from what I can gather, it seems it's pretty easy to get to 500HP. http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/Audi.RS6.C5.Engine.htm

Am I best off contacting the Hoppen guys and seeing if/what else can be done? Or perhaps someone here can share some insight. Thanks in advance for any help.

ben916
January 19th, 2011, 18:54
Welcome!

View this thread first :
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21926-Mid-Atlantic-Get-together-Dyno-day-January-15th-2011

Next is to input your location so as others know where you are at AND if you are close to a member here, they might give you a blast in their BEAST...
Guessing by the winter issue, some place with snow/ice/etc...

There are examples out there F/S now that are decent. It depends on service history, timing belt, DRC, mods that you are interested in .... and price.

If $$$$$ is no option, then find a clean example (meaning service history, Timing belt, DRC) and open check book and go to town... :)
This might be a good starting place also:
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22036-C5-RS6-Modification-schedule-DRIVETRAIN

Stand by for MAX...

MaxRS6
January 19th, 2011, 19:10
Ben has provided good info as usual....

And....<DRUM roll> {drum roll} Welcome aboard the

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Ozzy%20at%20Emerald/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg?t=1293713060

JSRS6
January 19th, 2011, 19:32
Evo's and STi's arent gonna compare to an RS 6, IMHO. Especially if you are driving a 2002 Z06. You want something that is fast and luxurious, look no further. To be perfectly honest, ive had a couple corvette owners ask me what the hell i have in my beast(at the next stop light, with their jaws on the pavement, lol). And the most recent one was track prepped and built for VIR! Find a forum member close to give you a drive, and even if they are stock, you will be amazed. Hell, race them in your Z06 and see if its what you are looking for. Welcome to the forum!

MaxRS6
January 19th, 2011, 19:39
Somebody say track vette...:)

<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/c4vqfFlaW3s?fs=1&hl=en_US allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED> (file://<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c4vqfFlaW3s?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c4vqfFlaW3s?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>)

JSRS6
January 19th, 2011, 19:50
Somebody say track vette...:)

<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/c4vqfFlaW3s?fs=1&hl=en_US allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED> (file://<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c4vqfFlaW3s?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c4vqfFlaW3s?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>)

Get em Max!

MaxRS6
January 19th, 2011, 19:56
LOL- Looking for mo meat in Feb. As you all know, I'm relatively a rookie at the track thing- but it is a blast and looking forward to getting better.

jek187
January 19th, 2011, 20:21
Welcome!

View this thread first :
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21926-Mid-Atlantic-Get-together-Dyno-day-January-15th-2011

Next is to input your location so as others know where you are at AND if you are close to a member here, they might give you a blast in their BEAST...
Guessing by the winter issue, some place with snow/ice/etc...

Thank you for the welcome. I'm actually in Rapid City, SD (roughly 400 miles NNE of Denver) so I'll be pleasantly surprised if there's anyone here within 250 miles of me. A Virginia meet-up would be a bit of a drive for me (as would a Chicago one as mentioned at the end of the thread) but if I get one, would host a South Dakota get together for me, and everyone in the vicinity (most likely still just me.)

There are examples out there F/S now that are decent. It depends on service history, timing belt, DRC, mods that you are interested in .... and price.

If $$$$$ is no option, then find a clean example (meaning service history, Timing belt, DRC) and open check book and go to town... :)
This might be a good starting place also:
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22036-C5-RS6-Modification-schedule-DRIVETRAIN

Stand by for MAX...

I have budgeted a little over $60k for the car + tune. Depending on the cost of the car, that'll leave me $20k-$30k for the tune. So money isn't exactly no object, but I'm hopeful it'll be enough to do some impressive stuff with. As far as the exact mods I'm looking for, I don't know enough to know. My goal is to increase the HP as much as possible, along with beefing up other parts as necessary to deal with the extra power. That thread is an excellent start, now I just need to sort out the cost and HP gains from those items.

jek187
January 19th, 2011, 20:22
Ben has provided good info as usual....

And....<DRUM roll> {drum roll} Welcome aboard the

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Ozzy%20at%20Emerald/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg?t=1293713060

Lol, ty ty.

JSRS6
January 19th, 2011, 20:28
Thank you for the welcome. I'm actually in Rapid City, SD (roughly 400 miles NNE of Denver) so I'll be pleasantly surprised if there's anyone here within 250 miles of me. A Virginia meet-up would be a bit of a drive for me (as would a Chicago one as mentioned at the end of the thread) but if I get one, would host a South Dakota get together for me, and everyone in the vicinity (most likely still just me.)

I have budgeted a little over $60k for the car + tune. Depending on the cost of the car, that'll leave me $20k-$30k for the tune. So money isn't exactly no object, but I'm hopeful it'll be enough to do some impressive stuff with. As far as the exact mods I'm looking for, I don't know enough to know. My goal is to increase the HP as much as possible, along with beefing up other parts as necessary to deal with the extra power. That thread is an excellent start, now I just need to sort out the cost and HP gains from those items.

With your budget, you won't have any problems.

jek187
January 19th, 2011, 20:39
Evo's and STi's arent gonna compare to an RS 6, IMHO. Especially if you are driving a 2002 Z06. You want something that is fast and luxurious, look no further. To be perfectly honest, ive had a couple corvette owners ask me what the hell i have in my beast(at the next stop light, with their jaws on the pavement, lol). And the most recent one was track prepped and built for VIR! Find a forum member close to give you a drive, and even if they are stock, you will be amazed. Hell, race them in your Z06 and see if its what you are looking for. Welcome to the forum!

If I find anyone around here with one, I'll definitely attempt both a ride and a race. :)

To be totally honest, if I can get performance merely comparable to the older Z06s, I'll be very happy. If it could exceed the Vette's performance, I'd be ecstatic.

DHall1
January 19th, 2011, 21:12
Did someone say tune?

Hogwash.

ben916
January 19th, 2011, 21:23
The Jan 15th thread was more of intro of what to expect from tune/dyno work.

There are a bunch of WI and MI guys on here.
I seem to remember a solo MT owner.
There are several CO/Denver owners.

I have yet to find a Z51/Z06/ZL1 to tangle with... but my eyes are peeled and preying for one or 6...

Brav
January 19th, 2011, 21:36
You can go pretty nuts with 30k in upgrades.. new turbos, etc. For your purposes tho, Honestly, I would just go wtih all simple bolt-ons, intercoolers, ECU tune of your (reputable) choice, TCU tune, downpipes, exhaust, RNS-E navigation, and a full service.. should leave you with 20k for KW suspension, wheels/tires, and 12k of gas/insurance money for the next few years.

Really, all in with mods (that I would do for a daily). Shouldnt cost you more than 50k or so all-in with a lower mileage warrantied car.

M5 Eater
January 19th, 2011, 21:59
I've personally owned an EVO back in the day and let me tell you, the EVO has nothing on the RS6 not even a tuned EVO like mine. Inexpensive car to mod but not luxurious at all.

If your a early 20 something that's into the Japan tuner scene then knock yourself out. I grew out of that stage when girls started to roll up next to my car impressed and then when they saw me driving they were like, "damn who is that older guy" and I'm not that old. lol

With the RS6 you get the best of multiple worlds. 1. luxury 2. super car performance in the best sleeper ever made 3. for us single guys, a panty dropper that no one has ever ridden in.

Your budget is right on to produce a sick beast, just make sure that you get a hell of a warranty for it. Good luck in your search and welcome.

PALETTE
January 19th, 2011, 22:08
Jek Sorry but my buddy has a 2008 Z06 and when he got in my car all he said was what the F#!!* this thing rips, no questions asked. My Wife Loved her M5 but she says this is way faster! (i know)

You will love the Kid hauler-grocery getter-Asswooping Northamerican cars - RS6 that these are. The guys here are great and everyone seams to be one happy gettalong gang family!
You wuill be very happy!

mmaturo
January 19th, 2011, 22:31
I have easily outrun a large number of stock Z06s in the age range of yours...08 and up not so much...I out ran all of them from a stop, rolling start and on the interstate. I'm stock but strong engine (dyno while optimistic was 395 at the wheels). Intercoolers, ECU tune, TCU tune, switch out DRC, downpipes/exhaust but honestly i would do the tunes first and see how the car does and save the $,$$$... and if possible fortifying the trans/torque converter as it is the only weak link. Skip the turbos they are fine. Summer tires/wheels, winter set, RNSE upgrade, Keep $10K in reserves as others say though.

4everRS
January 20th, 2011, 00:17
You should be able to find a good example for around 30k. The most important thing is to find out the service history and make sure it is clean. Get a "good" tune. Search this forum for that. Most favored tunes seem to be Eurocharged, APR (mine), Viper, Revo, MTM, and I likely forgot one. Get the MTM TCU chip from Hoppen Motorsports. This will firm up the sifts a lot as well as extend the life of the torque converter and it's only 100 bucks. Still keep 5 to 10k on hand for the TC to fail. SD Doesn't have emissions checks right? Then gut the downpipes. Plan on a coilover kit like KWv3 to replace stock suspension. I am still on stock suspension and it works great, but I am a minority here.

You should have no problem getting well over 400 hp at the wheels for $40k.

jek187
January 20th, 2011, 19:46
Thank you everyone for the information and help. As rumored, this community is looking pretty awesome. :)

For the record, keeping the Vette isn't really an option, and I only mentioned the Evo/STi to give a bit of background to have my eyes opened to what tuning can do to a car, so economically. That being said, reading your guys' posts about what this car can do has got me very excited to get one, and I think I'm going to call off the serious comparison of other cars I was considering investigating (Used S8s, S6s, ML63s, Cayenne Turbos, or new M56xs.)

I'm going to begin to search for a car in earnest now, and will likely hold out for one with exceptionally low mileage. When examining the service history of the car, is there anything in particular to look for?

As far as tuning the car goes, I will start with the suggestions in this thread. I'll also likely be back to ask many silly newbie questions about each upgrade. Thank you all again.

ben916
January 20th, 2011, 19:58
Ironically, Wade and I were talking about this last night:
He had the S8 and got spanked by a BMW 7 series something and so his quest for the RS6 was alive.

My quest was more passionate (read as less boring) on not having a sewing machine sound, 1970 Ford LTD lean angles, AWD versus the 1 wheel peel, yawn generating acceleration, 1 of 1,000,000 freaking Honda Accords out there. Besides, Fart Cans on a V6 Accord just don't work for me....

JSRS6
January 20th, 2011, 20:54
Thank you everyone for the information and help. As rumored, this community is looking pretty awesome. :)

For the record, keeping the Vette isn't really an option, and I only mentioned the Evo/STi to give a bit of background to have my eyes opened to what tuning can do to a car, so economically. That being said, reading your guys' posts about what this car can do has got me very excited to get one, and I think I'm going to call off the serious comparison of other cars I was considering investigating (Used S8s, S6s, ML63s, Cayenne Turbos, or new M56xs.)

I'm going to begin to search for a car in earnest now, and will likely hold out for one with exceptionally low mileage. When examining the service history of the car, is there anything in particular to look for?

As far as tuning the car goes, I will start with the suggestions in this thread. I'll also likely be back to ask many silly newbie questions about each upgrade. Thank you all again.

You will probably have less hassles with a 40-50k car, than with a 15-20k car, mileage wise. A well taken care of rs6 in 40-50k range won't have sat around alot. A 15-20k car will probably need alot of bushings and whatnot. Just saying...save some money on the car and get more upgrades. But if you are dead set on a really low mileage example, pm keyzer soze. His is one of two on eBay.

Brav
January 20th, 2011, 21:19
You will probably have less hassles with a 40-50k car, than with a 15-20k car, mileage wise. A well taken care of rs6 in 40-50k range won't have sat around alot. A 15-20k car will probably need alot of bushings and whatnot. Just saying...save some money on the car and get more upgrades. But if you are dead set on a really low mileage example, pm keyzer soze. His is one of two on eBay.

This is quite true with most cars.. especially higher performance.

ben916
January 20th, 2011, 21:24

I concur!
There was an example with 12k miles on it in Texas and a forum member purchased it and then purchased a Fidelity warranty.
The PPI was performed but mysteriously missed the Trans/tq issues and so the member had a failed TQ the first week of ownership.
The point of this is NOT the warranty or PPI issue; it IS the fact of using the car and not letting it sit.
MaxRS6 has something like 130k on his (original owner)
Bigglezworth has one with 216k on it (10Secs4's old track car)