PDA

View Full Version : C5 RS6 Modification schedule DRIVETRAIN

550orm5
January 12th, 2011, 20:41
What is the "IDEAL" modification schedule for upgrading a stock RS6. (I realize some mods can be done at certain points, but starting from stock what would you do, no right or wrong answers)

This is for the drive-train ONLY!!! (not interior, suspension, etc)

This is what I have so far (please advise any changes):

1) MTM TCU (I would do fluid flush and filter as well)
2) Cold air intake
3) Exhaust (catback and downpipes)
4) GIAC ECU chip (I just like GIAC, insert your company)
5) Forged diverter valves
4) Intercoolers ( Wagner for me)
5) Fuel pump upgrade and injectors (wouldn't a new ECU tune be needed?)

I searched but found no thread like this

marklar182
January 12th, 2011, 21:02
IMO;

1) MTM TCU
2) ECU tune
3) diverter valves
4) Intercoolers
5) Exhaust (catback and downpipes)
6) Fuel pump upgrade, 5bar FPR, and injectors (new ECU tune needed)

CAI is not needed IMO

550orm5
January 12th, 2011, 21:12
Thanks MARKLAR182 6) who does Fuel pump upgrades as you suggest?

marklar182
January 12th, 2011, 21:23
Thanks MARKLAR182 6) who does Fuel pump upgrades as you suggest?

In the states....no one I know of. It is a DIY mod.

Only a hand full of guys have done it. Search for bosch 044.

4everRS
January 12th, 2011, 21:50
My IDEAL list would go something like this:

MTM TCU
High end lubricants
ECU chip/tune
Gutted Downpipes
Meth injection

If you want to get crazy then also:
bigger turbos
head gaskets (thicker for lower compression)
custom tune
FMU intake
intercoolers
fuel system upgrade (5bar reg. inj. ect)
6 speed

ben916
January 12th, 2011, 21:58
Mine would be and will be:

1. MTM TCU (why do I need this if I do #8???)
2. Apikol Rear Diff bushing
3. ECU tune
4. Noise makers - anti mufflers :)
5. DV - if and when
6. Stock junk intercoolers
7. Ace TQ when it goes or ....
8. 6 speed manual @ Raven

DHall1
January 12th, 2011, 22:23
4) Any other chip except GIAC. Sorry about that but GIAC is not proven on this forum and may be dangerous to your RS6.

Everything else is fine.

550orm5
January 13th, 2011, 02:27
DHall1 ...I appreciate the feedback on GIAC. I have been rethinking that after I have researched some more. I have a performance shop that can get me REVO for cheap, so I am going to go that route I think.
The shop can also get me Apikol parts for cheap...

ben916
January 13th, 2011, 04:01
DHall1 ...I appreciate the feedback on GIAC. I have been rethinking that after I have researched some more. I have a performance shop that can get me REVO for cheap, so I am going to go that route I think.

could you please update your location?

Are you offering a group buy on the Apikol? :)

DHall1
January 13th, 2011, 04:29
Glad you understand. The members with Revo on this forum are generally very happy with Revo performance. Hang tight because I have some Revo data logs coming my direction tonight. Should have some detailed feedback on the flash very soon.

DHall1
January 13th, 2011, 14:49
Ok,

Just to circle back and give you some info. The Revo flash looks fine. Hahn sent over a log last night and first glance is very good. He runs the SPS flash loader that can tweek boost, fuel and timing. I will post up graphs and details later but I can give the thumbs up to the Revo.

550orm5
January 13th, 2011, 21:04
Great.

Sorry no group buy on Apikol products. I just have a friend who can hook me up. I will ask him though.

Brav
January 13th, 2011, 23:47
Skip the hot air intakes..

MTM TCU and intercoolers would be on my short list.

snoopra
January 14th, 2011, 11:05
Great.

Sorry no group buy on Apikol products. I just have a friend who can hook me up. I will ask him though.
Well, hook us up too! I just need the rear diff.

Benman
January 14th, 2011, 17:47
Dave, who specifically has had issues with GIAC? I ask this because STaSIS has no issues with GIAC and their opinion is one I trust. :cheers:

Best,

Ben

DHall1
January 14th, 2011, 17:53
Never said anyone in particular.

Said, not proven and MAY be dangerous. But hey, if you like running 950C+ egt temps be my guest.

I will leave it at that.

If anyone has info otherwise or data logs you may correct my statements.

4) Any other chip except GIAC. Sorry about that but GIAC is not proven on this forum and may be dangerous to your RS6.

Everything else is fine.

Benman
January 14th, 2011, 18:48
After years of racing, this "tune" from them is still going strong up in Canada. Yep, not an RS 6, but it hardly proved dangerous. ;) Just so the OP has an unbiased opinion since it seems you are telling him "any" other chip is fine so long as it not be GIAC. Having actually been there (GIAC) in person, and having actually met Garret, I am going to go out on a limb and say no, not "any other" chip is better. But I am glad you are happy with Revo. :cheers:

http://www.giacusa.com/images/worldchallengesetupstasisgiacmahle050c.wmv

DHall1
January 14th, 2011, 19:19
Does the fact that a special GIAC tune on another platform does xyz actually carry over any value to the RS6?

I have seen data logs from GIAC on a RS6 that tell another story. Therefore, I cant say the GIAC C5 RS6 tune is any good. I have also seen a head to head test on a A4 2.0T where GIAC did not show very well, in fact was the worst tuner tested.

GIAC may have a fantastic operation but the end result is the data log of the finished product. As I said, anyone can simply provide the data to support this situation or not. As far as trusting Stasis goes I dont see how that takes the place of an actual data log with a series of logs and hard concrete evidence of a potential problem? Putting blind trust in xyz because of the shiny building or great reputation means nothing to me. All subjective.

Thanks to hahn we have a baseline Revo file that looks very good and anyone looking to upgrade can know going in that a RS6 owner has gone before and the hard evidence shows a nice safe tune. Is that not why we are here.

After years of racing, this "tune" from them is still going strong up in Canada. Yep, not an RS 6, but it hardly proved dangerous. ;) Just so the OP has an unbiased opinion since it seems you are telling him "any" other chip is fine so long as it not be GIAC. Having actually been there (GIAC) in person, and having actually met Garret, I am going to go out on a limb and say no, not "any other" chip is better. But I am glad you are happy with Revo. :cheers:

http://www.giacusa.com/images/worldchallengesetupstasisgiacmahle050c.wmv

Benman
January 14th, 2011, 19:38
Do you have a link to the head to head test? Thanks in advance. :cheers:

Ben

DHall1
January 14th, 2011, 19:47
Nope but it was on Audizine.

A4 member tested 3 tuning companies back to back to back on his personal car. Vag com data logs as well as dyno tests. I took note because of my past evidence with GIAC and some questions I had with the RS6 GIAC numbers. This particular 2.0T seemed to be having similar problems and lack of performance end results as the 4.2tt tune. I found it interesting at the time. Pat had a look at the article as well. The guy spent lots of time and money in the testing at the time.

Benman
January 14th, 2011, 19:54
Thanks Dave. To play Devil's advocate, Car and Driver did a Tuner Test way back in the day (I believe 03/04) and had the full MTM tune on the RS 6. It tested worse than stock times even though it said the full effect was over 550hp! My point in bringing it up is that test did not prove MTM to be a bad tuner, even though in that instance it failed to produce. At all.

But yes, a data log is nice. But then, MTM had a great data log for their tune.

:cheers:

Ben

DHall1
January 14th, 2011, 20:07
Here is the link. Funny thing some owners will go to all lengths to actually verify everything. In this instance. GIAC is revealed to be garbage and if you look at the timing map results you can clearly see there are major corrections going on. Not good. Is this tune safe? Nope Does it make power? Nope Can anyone say there was something wrong with the test mule? Nope. 3 strikes

You bring up a good point. I should not have said all other tunes were better than GIAC. I should have listed the tunes that we have hard data on. And as a matter of fact. I do not have hard data on the MTM tune. Therefore, until I see some data logs to show otherwise. GIAC is in question and MTM has no concrete data good or bad.

Fair enough?

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/85612-APR-vs-GIAC-vs-REVO-software-comparison-with-datalogs-and-dyno-charts

Benman
January 14th, 2011, 20:32
Sounds fair enough Dave.

Amulet-S6
January 15th, 2011, 03:22
Can someone bring me up to speed on the Aptikol rear diff? What are you achieving with this mod?

4everRS
January 15th, 2011, 03:26
x 2 please
Can someone bring me up to speed on the Aptikol rear diff? What are you achieving with this mod?

JSRS6
January 15th, 2011, 03:42
The mount reduces slack in the driveline, effectively allowing more power to the ground. Not a LOT, but some. You will also notice better take-offs due to the same lack-o-slack.

PALETTE
January 15th, 2011, 05:18
The mount reduces slack in the driveline, effectively allowing more power to the ground. Not a LOT, but some. You will also notice better take-offs due to the same lack-o-slack.

What was the cost?

JSRS6
January 15th, 2011, 05:32
They run about 250.

hahnmgh63
January 15th, 2011, 05:38
Cheapest price is $210 delivered from Patrick Pabian at clp230@psu.edu about a $40 saving plus shipping from Apikol.

ben916
January 15th, 2011, 05:43
Cheapest price is $210 delivered from Patrick Pabian at clp230@psu.edu about a $40 saving plus shipping from Apikol.

Does he have several?

EDIT: email sent :)

hahnmgh63
January 15th, 2011, 05:50
Said he had enough to go around and all of their 1.8t & 2.7t stuff if needed. Got mine in the mail the other day, will install it next week. Nice looking piece of hardware. Mark

skribe
January 15th, 2011, 06:01
...but the end result is the data log of the finished product. As I said, anyone can simply provide the data to support this situation or not... I dont see how that takes the place of an actual data log with a series of logs and hard concrete evidence of a potential problem? Putting blind trust in xyz because of the shiny building or great reputation means nothing to me. All subjective.

...anyone looking to upgrade can know going in that a RS6 owner has gone before and the hard evidence shows a nice safe tune. Is that not why we are here.

Aces? :hihi:

DHall1
January 15th, 2011, 06:06
I'm gonna pee Aces on your doorstep tomorrow morning but it may freeze and prove that its nothing but water. Oh wait, that would be a bad thing right?

Aces? :hihi: