PDA

View Full Version : For those looking to tackle a timing belt change yourselves -

terrytcl
January 12th, 2011, 17:03
I ended up purchasing all of the special tools necessary to perform the timing belt replacement as well as cam & crank seals.

wondering if it would be feasible to setup a tool loaner program so that you guys can also tackle the job yourselves.

snoopra
January 13th, 2011, 00:00
Good idea, maybe use paypal to pay for shipping, that way you have some type of record incase one tries to get "sticky fingered":)

DHall1
January 13th, 2011, 02:00
Pat also has a set.

$350 Paypal to send the tools. When the tools are returned then 300 back to the Paypal.

terrytcl
January 13th, 2011, 15:54
Got a set too.

i can take a picture of the tool set.
got -
cam bar
TDC bolt
Pully adjusting adaptor
cam seal remover
cam seal driver
crank seal remover
crank seal driver
cam sensor seal remover
cam chain tensioner
cam pulley remover
Custom made carrier positioning bolts
Also have two 3/8" torque wrenches (in lbs and ft lbs) along with a set of torx and metric allen sockets.

DHall1
January 13th, 2011, 15:58
That is a complete set.

Can you post a pic of the carrier position bolts?

terrytcl
January 13th, 2011, 16:05
i'll try to get pictures up as soon as i can

terrytcl
January 13th, 2011, 16:09
hm.... i can also include a full detailed "how to" using print outs from my ELSA and bentley manuals.

i should also take some pictures of "what to watch out for" since my car is in pieces. :)

DHall1
January 13th, 2011, 16:14
How did you get your ELSA to work? Or I should say where did you get it?

Snoopra sent me his copy of ELSA but it needs some code to unlock? I never got it to work.

terrytcl
January 13th, 2011, 16:28
Try ADD8E815 as your final code

V8weight
January 13th, 2011, 17:57
I tried to use the lock carrier holder bolts when I did Kyle's RS6 the first time, and they just ended up being more trouble than they were worth. IMO, it's easiest just to drop the lock support down and out, and support it from the bottom with stands.

eurotunedrs6
January 15th, 2011, 01:09
Nice! I'm thinking about doing this myself now. $3200 is what I got quoted for the timing belt job. I could save a lot in labor if I wrench on it myself. Elsawin manuals would definately help me out since I've never changed a timing belt before. My buddy has, but more info the better!

4everRS
January 15th, 2011, 04:03
Yeah they didn't seem to allow much room to work. Support the bottom and tie a string from the fender bolt hole to the lock support bolt hole if needed. BTW, I have one thing to look out for - corroded water pump bolt that ends up snapping in the 40 grand cosworth. Dr. Pat got it taken care of though.
I tried to use the lock carrier holder bolts when I did Kyle's RS6 the first time, and they just ended up being more trouble than they were worth. IMO, it's easiest just to drop the lock support down and out, and support it from the bottom with stands.

V8weight
January 15th, 2011, 04:46
Kyle, I got your check, and your parts. Let me know when you have time to swing down for a car day.

terrytcl
January 15th, 2011, 14:37
dave, check your PM on elsawin installation

Mr. Rictus
April 10th, 2011, 14:59
I'd like to rent the tools for the timing belt install. I've got a lowly 2002 S6 :hey: and I'd like to install the kevlar timing belt I bought... and fix the timing issues the car has had since I bought it from the dealer. :cry:

4everRS
April 10th, 2011, 15:51
I'd like to rent the tools for the timing belt install. I've got a lowly 2002 S6 :hey: and I'd like to install the kevlar timing belt I bought... and fix the timing issues the car has had since I bought it from the dealer. :cry:timing issues? What is it doing? Sure you've checked other things out?

Mr. Rictus
April 10th, 2011, 16:17
Yeah, checked everything else out...
VAG-COM'ed it, saw this: 17748 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incor. Correlation
P1340 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Replaced the cam position sensor and engine speed sensor as well, no dice. Changed all plugs and ignition coils, that narrowed the misfires down to banks 5,6, and 8. The misfires happen on decelleration and when getting up above 4K rpms.

Seems to be either slightly out of time or there is some "mouse" in the electrics.

Mr. Rictus
April 29th, 2011, 01:18
Got a set too.

i can take a picture of the tool set.
got -
cam bar
TDC bolt
Pully adjusting adaptor
cam seal remover
cam seal driver
crank seal remover
crank seal driver
cam sensor seal remover
cam chain tensioner
cam pulley remover
Custom made carrier positioning bolts
Also have two 3/8" torque wrenches (in lbs and ft lbs) along with a set of torx and metric allen sockets.

I called you earlier in the day about the tracking number. I'd really appreciate a call back since I'm scheduled to do the install this weekend. Thanks.

Mr. Rictus
June 2nd, 2011, 01:22
The timing install parts will be back in your hands tomorrow! Tracking # is UPS:
<label id="descText1Z0E1R240329710433"> </label> 1Z0E1R240329710433

Thanks again for all the help you gave after the ebahn CD was lost in transit. I really appreciated it!

hahnmgh63
June 2nd, 2011, 01:36
Mr. Rictus, what is this Kevlar timing belt for the 4.2 your talking about? RAI motorsports makes one for the 1.8t and claim it is 600% stronger than stock and that the timing belt will well outlive the tensioners and waterpump. I've been wondering if there is one for the 4.2.

Mr. Rictus
June 2nd, 2011, 02:02
There is indeed one available for the 4.2 V8. They're all made by Gates Racing and the part number for my S6 is TR297RB. I had to do quite a bit of calling around to find one in stock. New ones from Gates were two months out.