PDA

View Full Version : MTM tcu or Software flash?

bilko1
January 11th, 2011, 00:30
Whats the difference between a MTM tcu chip and a tcu remap besides the obvious one's a solder in chip and the other is software? Can the MTM software not be flashed to the standard tcu? Are there any benefits that one has over the other?

I'm only asking as i'm nearly ready for a remap but my current tcu has been flashed by DNA tuning by the previous owner so you can drive at 30mph in 5th. Originally the previous owner had the ecu flashed too but that went horribly wrong (checksum error) before i bought the car so now has a new standard ecu.

Does having the tcu allowing 5th gear at 30mph not put more strain on the torque convertor / gearbox trying to lug around 2 tons at low revs?

ttboost
January 11th, 2011, 00:52
Just recently got my car and the MTM TCU upgrade was the first thing I did. The lowest I can go in 5th is about 32-33mph or so. It won't shift into 5th lower than that, even if I try. I pay attention and only do this when I am cruising backroads and not driving "aggressively".

4everRS
January 11th, 2011, 02:58
Tozo may chime in here but, yes, running so low RPM's consistently is bad for the TC. This is due to low fluid pressure more than anything.

Sorry, can't help on the difference between the 2 option you listed. I don't know anything about TCU reflashes.
Whats the difference between a MTM tcu chip and a tcu remap besides the obvious one's a solder in chip and the other is software? Can the MTM software not be flashed to the standard tcu? Are there any benefits that one has over the other?

I'm only asking as i'm nearly ready for a remap but my current tcu has been flashed by DNA tuning by the previous owner so you can drive at 30mph in 5th. Originally the previous owner had the ecu flashed too but that went horribly wrong (checksum error) before i bought the car so now has a new standard ecu.

Does having the tcu allowing 5th gear at 30mph not put more strain on the torque convertor / gearbox trying to lug around 2 tons at low revs?

ttboost
January 11th, 2011, 13:40
Yeah, I just cruise at very light throttle positions in 5th at the lower speeds. Otherwise, I am cruising at 35-40mph at 2000-2300 in 3rd. If I have to step on it, I click it down a gear or 2. I do find myself switching back and forth from "D" to Tip often. Not sure if this is "bad" or not.

PALETTE
January 11th, 2011, 14:03
Ok so here is Question for the More knowledgeable ones.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Can we not add a Trans-cooler to the trans? If so will it work? I am thinking the once i had on my 2 speed glide it wraps to the transition and has a Fan to cool it. Made by TCI. Another question, Can we also not increase the Line pressure on the Trans?<o:p></o:p>

Sorry if i have gone off topic here

ttboost
January 11th, 2011, 14:14
You were born "OFF TOPIC"...

PALETTE
January 11th, 2011, 14:31
You were born "OFF TOPIC"...

Spoken like someone who has a Tune and has yet to Load it :harass:... Scared of the Power?? LOL :incar:

Elevens
January 11th, 2011, 15:00

The TCU cannot be flashed, it must be physically removed and rechipped. And why any one would want to lug around at 30mph in 5th I don't know. The only reason I can think of is fuel milage. These cars are high performance cars. Forget about gas milage, and drive them the way they should be driven. Hard......................

ttboost
January 11th, 2011, 15:04
Spoken like someone who has a Tune and has yet to Load it :harass:... Scared of the Power?? LOL :incar:

Been loaded for months, just had issues. Finally replaced N75, coolant temp sensor and DV's. Datalogged yesterday, but still need to get on the dyno. Time is a precious commodity lately.

bilko1
January 11th, 2011, 15:11
The TCU cannot be flashed, it must be physically removed and rechipped. And why any one would want to lug around at 30mph in 5th I don't know. The only reason I can think of is fuel milage. These cars are high performance cars. Forget about gas milage, and drive them the way they should be driven. Hard......................

I'm sure they can be flashed / remapped as mine has been done by DNA. Also Viper, MRC, Unit 20 and many others in the UK offer a tcu remap.

ttboost
January 11th, 2011, 15:15
I'm sure they can be flashed / remapped as mine has been done by DNA. Also Viper, MRC, Unit 20 and many others in the UK offer a tcu remap.

The TCU has to be physically removed from the car and have the "chip" physically soldered in. The ECU can be flashed by simply plugging into the OBD port.

V8weight
January 11th, 2011, 16:09
I have the Viper tcu "map", and it is an E-Prom that is physically soldered in, I know, I soldered it in.

marklar182
January 11th, 2011, 16:21
Actually I think all VAG TCU remaps are not directly flashed, but rather installed via R&R eprom.

I don't think you can access the TCU software via the VAG diagnostic port.

With the TCU on a bench, maybe.

I'm sure JHM and MTM would be bench flashing if they could. It is a risk to desolder the SMD eproms and replace. The TCU isn't cheap!

JSRS6
January 11th, 2011, 16:48
Ok so here is Question for the More knowledgeable ones.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Can we not add a Trans-cooler to the trans? If so will it work? I am thinking the once i had on my 2 speed glide it wraps to the transition and has a Fan to cool it. Made by TCI. Another question, Can we also not increase the Line pressure on the Trans?<o:p></o:p>

Sorry if i have gone off topic here

We do have a trans cooler. It is the top 1/3 of the oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. If you want better, FMU is engineering a bigger one.

PALETTE
January 11th, 2011, 16:58
We do have a trans cooler. It is the top 1/3 of the oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator. If you want better, FMU is engineering a bigger one.
Well hopefully they will advise once they have completed it as i am sure it would help enormously !

ttboost
January 11th, 2011, 18:44
Actually I think all VAG TCU remaps are not directly flashed, but rather installed via R&R eprom.

I don't think you can access the TCU software via the VAG diagnostic port.

With the TCU on a bench, maybe.

I'm sure JHM and MTM would be bench flashing if they could. It is a risk to desolder the SMD eproms and replace. The TCU isn't cheap!

I think there is a connection as you can VAG both engine and tranny through the OBD port. It's just not capable of communicating all the data?

marklar182
January 11th, 2011, 19:12
I think there is a connection as you can VAG both engine and tranny through the OBD port. It's just not capable of communicating all the data?

Correct, you can access the TCU module via OBD, but not the hard data.

And on the topic of trans coolers, when a TC clutch fails, are you guys flushing out the cooler after the repair? I know on my other car (300ZX TT Auto) when the trans/TC clutch goes all that garbage ends up in the cooler and if you dont flush/replace the cooler you end up killing the trans/TC again when all the junk gets back in the system. Just a thought. I haven't looked closely at the ZF trans flow patten to know if this is an issue.

Additionally, a higher capacity or more efficient trans cooler is a must have an any modded auto.

ttboost
January 11th, 2011, 19:56
It's been said here not to ever change the fluid in these tranny, which goes against any and all logic. However, the fear is you dislodge stuff in the valve body that would otherwise never move, and create more issues down the road.

hahnmgh63
January 11th, 2011, 23:08
What Tozo I believe and others have said is don't flush a high mileage trans that has not had it's fluid changed before. But if you start young, keep changing it on some schedule.

ben916
January 11th, 2011, 23:56
What Tozo I believe and others have said is don't flush a high mileage trans that has not had it's fluid changed before. But if you start young, keep changing it on some schedule.

Yep, and T is the expert. :)

ttboost
January 12th, 2011, 00:18
What is considered high mileage on these cars, regarding this topic?

V8weight
January 12th, 2011, 01:53
What is considered high mileage on these cars, regarding this topic?
I'd say no later than 60k miles.

ttboost
January 12th, 2011, 02:10
oohhh crap....gettin ready to click 71k...

micdee
January 17th, 2011, 05:13
About the MTM TCU chip. Is this one "made in USA" or does it have its origin in Germany?
As we in Europe can not 'just' tune the TCU with MTM. You need to do the complete package and as far as I know now it is a standard tuning.

With standard I mean, once made and now used on all; no physical check if this is the best setup for your car.
For the TCU I can understand this. For the ECU it would ofcourse be nice/better to have a customized tuning.

JSRS6
January 17th, 2011, 11:33
Yes, made in USA. It's great being able to do the tcu so cheap and then focus on the ecu. If you go here:

http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/Audi.RS6.C5.Engine.htm

And select the Mtm tcu software upgrade, you will not be sorry.

JSRS6
January 17th, 2011, 11:35
And by made in USA, I mean the software from Germany is flashed onto an EEPROM by mike hoppen. He will send the EEPROM to you if you request.

micdee
January 17th, 2011, 19:54
Is there any chance on a difference between USA and European specs for the TCU?

JSRS6
January 17th, 2011, 20:00
You mean the Mtm software? No difference, as I said before hoppen motorsports gets the software file from Mtm Germany.

Brav
January 18th, 2011, 01:26
Just had my TCU sent to Hoppen today..

bilko1
January 18th, 2011, 20:38
Are these MTM tcu chips protected / made for individual cars? I ask as on the Hoppen website they ask for part of the chassis number. I have been offered an MTM tcu chip here in the UK that came from Hoppen but want to make sure it's not locked to a certain car / transmission.

ttboost
January 18th, 2011, 21:08
I'm gonna guess they are VIN protected. When I ordered my chip from Hoppen, they asked for the last 6 digits of my VIN. So even if I bought it and decided NOT to use it, no one else could either. Unless they just want to track what cars their chips are in?

MORS6
January 18th, 2011, 21:39
I'm gonna guess they are VIN protected. When I ordered my chip from Hoppen, they asked for the last 6 digits of my VIN. So even if I bought it and decided NOT to use it, no one else could either. Unless they just want to track what cars their chips are in?

When I ordered mine from Hoppen, I asked if they could search by VIN to see if the TCU had already been modified by them since it appeared the side kick panel had been removed previously. He said that they couldn't search by VIN, only last name.

ttboost
January 18th, 2011, 22:59
There you have it, they are VIN protected...

bilko1
January 19th, 2011, 21:37
Well i sent Hoppen an email and it turns out you USA guys have a different tcu than us UK guys so it's a no go:(

JSRS6
January 19th, 2011, 21:44
Well i sent Hoppen an email and it turns out you USA guys have a different tcu than us UK guys so it's a no go:(

What is the difference?

hahnmgh63
January 19th, 2011, 21:59
I believe the TCU hardware is the same but the soft coding of the software is different N. America to Europe. I thought there was a thread about this af few years ago, can anyone from Europe verify there softcoding with Vagcom or something similar?

4everRS
January 19th, 2011, 22:03
I seem to remember that the us version was made to be "softer" than the euro tcu's. They didnt' want us to spill our coffee or something. I think this has also led to less tc failures in Europe. Just word on the street.

What is the difference?

hahnmgh63
January 19th, 2011, 22:07
I'm pretty sure that is what it was too 4everRS. That is one of the reasons for the thinking that the MTM tune took the shifting a little firmer and more agressive than even the Euro software but I think the TCU hardware is the same, just the software inside so if you go MTM then your already a little better off that the stock Euro software.

JSRS6
January 20th, 2011, 00:32
Then he should be good, right?

bilko1
January 20th, 2011, 01:00
Well Mike from Hoppen said "In the states our TCU# is 4B0 927 156 FL and I believe that your TCU# is 4B0 927 156 FB"

hahnmgh63
January 20th, 2011, 01:29
Those are the right part #'s, but the difference just as in the ECU, Radio, etc... are software differences between Euro and N. America (In the Radio or RNS-E there are a few re-labeled buttons for different features).

Elevens
January 20th, 2011, 01:53
This is what results If you attempt to put a European TCU in a US spec car. Been there, done that. The two are incompatible.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/P1010436.jpg

The Transmission selector display goes into Limp home mode.

hahnmgh63
January 20th, 2011, 02:57
The Euro TCU will not work with the U.S. ECU or Vice versa without the other being coded correctly. Elevens, are you sure that was a Euro TCU? The part # is for a U.S. TCU or was it just the chip that was changed?

Elevens
January 20th, 2011, 03:07
The Euro TCU will not work with the U.S. ECU or Vice versa without the other being coded correctly. Elevens, are you sure that was a Euro TCU? The part # is for a U.S. TCU or was it just the chip that was changed?

You got it hahnmgh63, It was a Custom Coded Euro TCU with an FL chip soldered in. But it was a no go..................

micdee
January 20th, 2011, 08:59

I'm glad you sent the email to Hoppen. Reply is clear, I guess it is same for rest of EU.

On the other hand .......

Are these MTM tcu chips protected / made for individual cars? I ask as on the Hoppen website they ask for part of the chassis number. I have been offered an MTM tcu chip here in the UK that came from Hoppen but want to make sure it's not locked to a certain car / transmission.

What is the reason why the "UK" Hoppen chip is sold, is it because it did not work or what?????

bilko1
January 20th, 2011, 18:03
I'm glad you sent the email to Hoppen. Reply is clear, I guess it is same for rest of EU.

On the other hand .......

What is the reason why the "UK" Hoppen chip is sold, is it because it did not work or what?????

Not sure what you mean but Europe has a different tcu to USA so this is why Hoppen US chip will not work in EU tcu's

micdee
January 21st, 2011, 09:32
Uhmm, well you mentioned a few posts ago that you were offered a HOPPEN TCU CHIP in the UK. So I presume this Hoppen chip is already in the UK and I was wondering if this chip had been used by the person offering the TCU chip and what the reason is why he/she wants to sell this TCU chip.

bilko1
January 21st, 2011, 18:32
Uhmm, well you mentioned a few posts ago that you were offered a HOPPEN TCU CHIP in the UK. So I presume this Hoppen chip is already in the UK and I was wondering if this chip had been used by the person offering the TCU chip and what the reason is why he/she wants to sell this TCU chip.

The chip is unused and was bought by the person while he was in the USA.

Elevens
January 21st, 2011, 19:07
The chip is unused and was bought by the person while he was in the USA.

So long as the chip is placed in the TCU from your car, you should be fine. Simple as that....................

bilko1
January 21st, 2011, 21:00
So long as the chip is placed in the TCU from your car, you should be fine. Simple as that....................

But Hoppen said it won't work as the tcu's are different in USA.

Elevens
January 21st, 2011, 22:09
But Hoppen said it won't work as the tcu's are different in USA.

Now that I think about it, he wanted my VIN#, which would means that the software is somehow unique to the cars VIN#. So maybe its not as simple as that. What I do know is that a custom chip soldered into either a EURO or US TCU will work, but this Tune requires no VIN#. So maybe for security reasons MTM want's a VIN.

micdee
January 22nd, 2011, 14:28
Or the MTM TCU software that is used by Hoppen may only be sold to US_spec/sold_cars. That way MTM can manage the use of the TCU software. As far as I know it is not possible in Europe to buy the MTM tuned TCU software seperately from the ECU tuned software.

ben916
January 22nd, 2011, 16:35
I emailed Hoppen directly and will post the reply later today.

V8weight
January 22nd, 2011, 21:57
MTM requires a vin only for their own records. A Euro tcu EE-Prom is not compatible with a US tcu, and vice versa, I've tried.

ben916
January 23rd, 2011, 04:09
Reply from Mike @ Hoppen:

Hello,

The MTM TCU software applies as follows;

2003 US RS6 (4B0 927 156 FL) software code BFLVOLL1.001
2003 EU RS6 (4B0 927 156 FB) software code BFBVOLL2.002
2004 EU RS6 Plus (??) no software upgrade available as the factory already addressed this.

The 156FL and 156FB software cannot be interchanged.

I hope this information answers some of the questions.

Best Regards,
Mike Hoppen