PDA

View Full Version : Torque Converter Pricing

got boost
January 10th, 2011, 16:32
Hey guys, just got a quote from my dealership on the TC job. This sounds a little high to me.

Torque converter kit $2,075
Labor 35hr @$115 $4,025

If I want to do o2's and EGT at the same time, its an additional $2,000.

Ive searched the forums and this seems high. Is it really a 35hr job? what are others paying?

Thanks

Stephencl
January 10th, 2011, 16:42
Hey guys, just got a quote from my dealership on the TC job. This sounds a little high to me.

Labor 35hr @$115 $4,025

Ive searched the forums and this seems high. Is it really a 35hr job? what are others paying?

Thanks

Where are you at? There is a shop called Drive Auto Werks in NJ that will beat those prices by a mile....if you are anywhere close, call Dion and get your car over there. They had like 6 RS6's in the shop the other day when I spoke to Dion.

Stephen

MaxRS6
January 10th, 2011, 16:56
Agreed- that is way too high

DHall1
January 10th, 2011, 17:03
You can get your entire transmission rebuilt with new TC for less than the 6000 quote. Way less. Tozo from the forum has done several RS6s with zero problems and backs up his work. He is located in Chicago.

If the dealer does not know how to pull the trans without dropping the engine then he does not know the short cut. Run, run fast.

The added price for 02s and EGTs are simply robbery.

Fidelity 6/72. Priceless.

Labor 35hr @$115 $4,025

Thanks

PALETTE
January 10th, 2011, 19:57
wow THATS INSANE!!! Glad i got my warranty!

hahnmgh63
January 10th, 2011, 21:21
I have an appointment for the dealer to look at the tranny on Wednesday, hopefully it is shot as my extended warranty ends the end of Feb. I am throwing code P1857 Load Signal Error from ECU, mechanical failure intermittent. I went out the other night and did eight 0 to 110mph logs with Vagcom to see if I could determine if it was the TC or Trans and I sent them to Tozo to look at too. I'd rather the dealer do the work for now and if not I guess I'll look to upgrade later by doing the work myself.

yokust
January 10th, 2011, 21:33
If the dealer does not know how to pull the trans without dropping the engine then he does not know the short cut. Run, run fast.

The added price for 02s and EGTs are simply robbery.

I am going to disagree with you on that 100%. I have pulled the trans separate from the motor before, and is WAY harder work then just dropping the motor. I can pull the whole motor in about the same time that Tozo has claimed to just pull the trans. But I have access to all factory tools which makes the job ALOT easier

BUT the O2 and EGT price is 100% rediculous.

It should just be the parts difference in price, since if they are pulling the motor they will remove the exhaust(which has o2's in it), and be removing the turbos(egts are two quick 17mm heads)

BUT again, if you dont pull the motor doing those EGT's are a mother IF they are doable

#1 rule to being a GOOD mechanic is work smart not hard (probably not just true for techs, is really a good life rule)

mmaturo
January 10th, 2011, 23:22
For dealer the hours look right. Used to be 60hrs in the book for full trans and TC replacement. Agree on BS on the other parts, they are right there to get to when engine out...seems the writer didn't give the hrs credit for everything being removed.

got boost
January 10th, 2011, 23:40
thanks for the feedback guys, I'm gonna shop around. I've got a little time, I think.

ttboost
January 11th, 2011, 00:07
Sounds like they don't need or want the work. Or they think you're an idiot. They should also hand out condoms to their customers for future services rearended...errr...rendered...

DonS
January 11th, 2011, 02:31
Just back from the dealer after an engine\trans pull on my RS6. They pulled the engine to repair some oil leaks installing new cam seals on one bank, valve cover gaskets on both sides and even an engine mount. Total labor was 27 hours at $115 totaling $3105. Take away all the labor for gaskets and seals and then add in separating the trans and I think your dealer might be high on the labor.

My dealer also went to the book labor for any add ins that were easily accessed with the engine already out. The warranty company haggled them down to reality as they should.

Good luck with the TC!

MORS6
January 11th, 2011, 07:42

Labor 35hr @$115 $4,025

Thanks

Just had mine done and love the peace of mind. Torque converter was $425 plus shipping of about $35 each way. Tozo did the work in less than half the hours being quoted by your dealer. I suspect he could do it blindfolded in less than 35 hours. His price for TC replacement includes new filter and fluids. I don't know that he wants his price posted on the message boards forever so I'll leave that to him or you could message him.

ttboost
January 11th, 2011, 13:37
Just had mine done and love the peace of mind. Torque converter was $425 plus shipping of about $35 each way. Tozo did the work in less than half the hours being quoted by your dealer. I suspect he could do it blindfolded in less than 35 hours. His price for TC replacement includes new filter and fluids. I don't know that he wants his price posted on the message boards forever so I'll leave that to him or you could message him.

Did you ship Tozo your tranny? Or just the new TC? Does he modify the new TC? Or is the Ace converter "modified"? (Assuming you bought an Ace converter)

MORS6
January 11th, 2011, 18:24
Did you ship Tozo your tranny? Or just the new TC? Does he modify the new TC? Or is the Ace converter "modified"? (Assuming you bought an Ace converter)

I could of shipped my car there for around $350 but decided it would be easier and more fun to drive the 350 miles to Chicago on a Sat morning. Gabor (Tozo) started at noon on Saturday. I had one night in a hotel and was back on the road Sun evening. Ace sent me the converter ready to go - it is sealed and welded shut - Gabor Drops the transmission and installs the TC. Ace upgrades the converter and builds it to suit your needs. Andre with ACE is very confident that the OEM TC is the weak link in our transmission and that his rebuild will handle twice the torque and get more horsepower to the road will maintaining everyday drive-ability.

ttboost
January 11th, 2011, 18:42
Thanks. I need to buy one yesterday.

PALETTE
January 11th, 2011, 18:56
Thanks. I need to buy one yesterday.

Just wait till tomorrow now... :lovl:

Jimmy
January 11th, 2011, 19:46
Jebus...for ha-has the same TC kit I priced out new recently at the local Audi dealer parts counter was about 1200 and change (wholesale).

Having them re-built sure makes alot of sense. But no, it doesn't (shouldn't) take that long...but that is what they'll charge you ... book time.

ben916
January 11th, 2011, 20:27
I could of shipped my car there for around $350 but decided it would be easier and more fun to drive the 350 miles to Chicago on a Sat morning. Gabor (Tozo) started at noon on Saturday. I had one night in a hotel and was back on the road Sun evening. Ace sent me the converter ready to go - it is sealed and welded shut - Gabor Drops the transmission and installs the TC. Ace upgrades the converter and builds it to suit your needs. Andre with ACE is very confident that the OEM TC is the weak link in our transmission and that his rebuild will handle twice the torque and get more horsepower to the road will maintaining everyday drive-ability.

Nice work and the time line seemed to be right on also, if everything and everybody is ready...