PDA

View Full Version : Holy 100 octane power.......

covertw12
January 6th, 2011, 15:56
Found a local station to fill up last night, had to run to the airport this morning...... unreal difference with the APR tune set to 100 as well !! and the snarl and burbles are much more pronounced...... addictive, but at 7.80 a gallon I think it's much like crack ! temps are up 10 degrees so I do't think it'll be a regular habit but it sure is a hoot.....

Any thoughts from the group on Aces level to add - I've been running 2 1/2 oz a tank and kept to that for this fill......
:incar:

hahnmgh63
January 6th, 2011, 16:24
I run about 3.5oz on a mostly full tank fill and if I'm sitting at about 1/4 tank when I fill I add about 2.5~3oz. I did change my plugs a couple of months back after using Aces IV for over a year and they all looked good, a normal looking light brown.

DHall1
January 6th, 2011, 16:42
I use on average 2.5oz per tank filled from just under 1/4 tank.

Have you tried the 100oct setting with just premium Shell and Aces?

What is your octane for Shell premium in FL?

Found a local station to fill up last night, had to run to the airport this morning...... unreal difference with the APR tune set to 100 as well !! and the snarl and burbles are much more pronounced...... addictive, but at 7.80 a gallon I think it's much like crack ! temps are up 10 degrees so I do't think it'll be a regular habit but it sure is a hoot.....

Any thoughts from the group on Aces level to add - I've been running 2 1/2 oz a tank and kept to that for this fill......

johnnie27
January 6th, 2011, 22:39

i have also ran 100 Oct in my apr tunned rs6 , feels electric in response...and wants to wheel stand!! i always run 98 oct but , had to try as my evo loves it too

4everRS
January 7th, 2011, 03:14
Erich, is that gas "leaded" ? There is a sunoco that has leaded "race fuel" north of me 30 miles. I have been reading that to much use of leaded fuel will foul O2's and wreck the cats. There is also a station in my town that has 100 octane AVGAS. This is low lead. It has half the lead of regular leaded fuel. AVGAS has 2 grams of lead per gallon, regular is 4.

Does anyone here use either AVGAS or leaded in their beast?

hahnmgh63
January 7th, 2011, 03:32
The 100LL Avgas is still equal lead content to the leaded premium of yesteryear and the extra parafin wax content along with the lead will ruin the Cats & O2 sensore fairly quickly and will increase lead deposits on valves, plugs, & combustion chambers. Most all 100 Octane race fuels you find are un-leaded, anything higher tends to be leaded and yes, anywhere from 2 to 6 or more grams of TEL (Tetra Ethyl Lead) per gallone which is a lot. I can't see where any of us would need more than 100 Octane fuel. But there are exceptions, if you are building a turbo race motor with electronic controls and think you need higher Octane there are some boughtique manufacturers that have up to 113 octane Unleaded but most of the big manufacturers only offer 100 un-leaded at a "Reasonable" track day cost. Here is a good chart for some generic & some specific comparisons but some of this data may have changed. http://www.smithtex.com/racing/fuelcomp.html

4everRS
January 7th, 2011, 04:07
Yep, that's exactly what I have been reading. I would like to run 100 un-leaded for a tank but can't find any around central MN.

BTW, I have run the APR 100 tune with 92 octane and ACES. It ran fine with no ignition issues. How the hell can this happen with only 3.0 ounces of this stuff in over 20 gallons of gas?

The 100 setting is scary fast.

DHall1
January 7th, 2011, 05:52
Well you answered my question and have run the APR100 with just premium and Aces.

Yep just 3oz and its magic. Where is Skribe? We need to get in another argument. ;-)

From the day I first started using Aces. I just kept saying to myself...no way, how can I literally feel the difference.

Yep, that's exactly what I have been reading. I would like to run 100 un-leaded for a tank but can't find any around central MN.

BTW, I have run the APR 100 tune with 92 octane and ACES. It ran fine with no ignition issues. How the hell can this happen with only 3.0 ounces of this stuff in over 20 gallons of gas?

The 100 setting is scary fast.

ben916
January 7th, 2011, 06:29
Well you answered my question and have run the APR100 with just premium and Aces.

Yep just 3oz and its magic. Where is Skribe? We need to get in another argument. ;-)

From the day I first started using Aces. I just kept saying to myself...no way, how can I literally feel the difference.

It is sitting in my garage ready to be added to the NEXT tank...
2oz or 2.5oz??? Remember, she is still ECU/TCU virgin...

covertw12
January 7th, 2011, 12:00
Hey Dave - Yes the best we have here on normal pumps is 93, and that does work fine along with Aces for the 100 setting, in fact I ran all the way to Texas and back that way.... toggling between the 93 and 100 setting makes it clear that there really is a LARGE difference on just the 93/Aces. The 100 I picked up is the Sunoco 260 Race formula, as noted I don't think I'll make it a regular habit ( Unless I win the lottery 0 the damn stuff is like crack at 7.90 a gallon !). I also don't have cats so my real worry is extra deposits but for the few times I "treat" the car I suspect it'll survive, hopefully maybe even the Aces helps with that issue....

I had a run getting onto the 95 onramp from 5 to 100+ this afternoon with an F77 GT2/3 ? - he pulled maybe a car length and that was about it, then we hit traffic. He gave me a thumbs up as we resumed normal speed..... damn sexy car that Porsche.....but no room for my kids.

I'm thinking I'll stick to the 2 - 2 1/2 OZ's of ACes....... Like Speedtrapped I also lost MAF's when I first used it, not sure if it was my using too much or perhaps just their time to go ...... but a fresh set of those, new plugs ( gapped to .26) and she's running like a freight-train.

I can't wait to drive her this morning.....

Cheers~

DHall1
January 7th, 2011, 14:19
Try 3oz on the first tank.

Then 2.5oz when you fill up from just under 1/4 tank.

It is sitting in my garage ready to be added to the NEXT tank...
2oz or 2.5oz??? Remember, she is still ECU/TCU virgin...

skribe
January 7th, 2011, 15:01

Haha! Way behind on the board here -- just got back from weeks of travel to ridiculous places... Can't get much of a signal in death valley or the mexican jungle.

My beast has been layed up the entire time I've been gone, getting a full, extensive re-do of all body and mechanical work by the shop mmaturo recommended -- the work that was originally half-assed by a different shop after I hit the deer. Thanks USAA for being on my side on that one.

She will have a full 8k respray next week, and freshly powdercoated gunmetal OEM 10 spokes with snows.

Amazing how much I miss my car right now. Maybe I'll treat her to some ACES... and foul my MAF sensors. :applause:

I missed you, Dave.

speedtrapped
January 7th, 2011, 15:22
Well I dont want to be the one pinned starting rumors, Aces 4oz 1st time problems occurred, O2 sensors went kaplooie(spoke with Brian and he did say this has happened ononly a couple of cars that were tuned), MAF's hmmm, 72k miles, changed connectors, took MAF's off and sprayed the crap out of them w/ CRC, so I would like to blame myself for those.....anyhoo I havent had my beast for 5 days, major seperation anxiety....like Skribe, several projects getting done(engine for me and not deer dancing)-piggies and test's installed(what do u guy think of welding bung and adding a wideband?), new O2's, new MAF's, Eurocharged re flash(O2 deletes), alignment, axle seal(pasenger side), remote start........shaking a little I think I have the DT's p/u her up tonight!

JRS-RS6
January 7th, 2011, 15:57
MAFs???? How can Aces affect the MAFs? (Mass Air Flow sensors) -- fueling is after the MAFs not before. Even the DVs pipe back into between the MAFs and the Turbos so this really makes no sense to me. Please explain.

V8weight
January 7th, 2011, 16:01
MAFs???? How can Aces affect the MAFs? (Mass Air Flow sensors) -- fueling is after the MAFs not before. Even the DVs pipe back into between the MAFs and the Turbos so this really makes no sense to me. Please explain.
Maybe he put it in the wrong hole......

speedtrapped
January 7th, 2011, 16:04
as far as I am concerned, no connection to MAF's aces(as u state, measures raw air), Erich I think misintrepeted my enail to him, the O2's, I would say yes, I used too much, and my O2's were badly fouled, as per Brian from BND said it has happened that Aces and O2's dont always get along, rare occassions and only with tunes(most tunes will dump more fuel, cooling) add aces with its lubricity properties and it is possible...again, everyone i have read that uses Aces has never had the problem.

JRS-RS6
January 7th, 2011, 16:13

Pat you're too funny. Indeed O2s make sense EGTs would too any way makes me glad I haven't added too much and my tune as a bit on the lean side. :)

speedtrapped
January 7th, 2011, 16:17
btw, I will continue to use BND and Aces, just less:lovl:

hahnmgh63
January 7th, 2011, 18:41
About the MAF's, you guys aren't running K&N's or another oiled air filter are you? Oiled airfilters have a reputation for killing MAF's on many forums, not just RS6 lore.

DHall1
January 7th, 2011, 18:51
I wondered how long before someone put 2+2 together. Aces=MAF damage? Cant happen.

If your on my email rant list you will enjoy taking a look at today's stock market news. Banks are going to get cleaned out by the lawsuits. Look out below WFC, C, JPM, GS. ;-) Bogus mortgages everywhere

Skribe-glad your back and getting the car fixed properly this time around. Pssst, can you keep a secret? Aces rocks. :hey:

speedtrapped
January 7th, 2011, 19:04
again, and i am bored at work........Aces did not kill my MAF's, I killed my MAFs......stock airfilters since i have owned it, cant speak for duckwingduck

Hy Octane
January 7th, 2011, 19:44
I'm curious as to the difference in 91 octane SoCal reformulated gas and the 93 octane available in other states.. I find that a little more Aces in the 91 works a bit better than less.. So, I'll use closed to 1 oz per 5 gallons rather than per 6 gallons. Brian said it shouldnt cause any problems and so far hasnt. But if this were 93 octane, it might..
Next time I talk to Brian I need to inquire as to why the same amount of Aces is suggested for 93 as 91.. One would assume it would take a little more to bring the fake 91 up to 100, no?

V8weight
January 7th, 2011, 20:02
I'm curious as to the difference in 91 octane SoCal reformulated gas and the 93 octane available in other states.. I find that a little more Aces in the 91 works a bit better than less.. So, I'll use closed to 1 oz per 5 gallons rather than per 6 gallons. Brian said it shouldnt cause any problems and so far hasnt. But if this were 93 octane, it might..
Next time I talk to Brian I need to inquire as to why the same amount of Aces is suggested for 93 as 91.. One would assume it would take a little more to bring the fake 91 up to 100, no?
Actually, your 91 octane is at least legitimate, it's our 93 octane that's fake. Although 93 octane is readily available here, all they do is pump up the ethanol content of 91 or 92 to raise the octane.

skribe
January 7th, 2011, 20:21

Of course no additive can compromise air in the intake tract and f- up a MAF sensor. It's another magical property of Aces! My humor is subtle, grasshopper.

Here's something I'm curious about. Has anybody ever done a decent set of logs w/without Aces?

If not, I could be that guy once I get my car back. I just picked up a netbook and car charger to be a dedicated VAG-COM carputer (Going to Di-Noc wrap it in carbon weave and install in the glove box :)) ... will be hooking that up... once I get my car back.

Dave, gimme a set of logs that would tell the tale and I'll do it.... once I get my car back.

V8weight
January 7th, 2011, 20:59
Of course no additive can compromise air in the intake tract and f- up a MAF sensor. It's another magical property of Aces! My humor is subtle, grasshopper.

Here's something I'm curious about. Has anybody ever done a decent set of logs w/without Aces?

If not, I could be that guy once I get my car back. I just picked up a netbook and car charger to be a dedicated VAG-COM carputer (Going to Di-Noc wrap it in carbon weave and install in the glove box :)) ... will be hooking that up... once I get my car back.

Dave, gimme a set of logs that would tell the tale and I'll do it.... once I get my car back.
If I remember correctly, James and I performed said logs when he added the aces to his car. I'll have to look when I get home, but I think he has them.

ben916
January 7th, 2011, 21:17

Off/T:
In memory of Skribe, I nearly had a Thumper moment last night to complete the Bambi trilogy...

On/T:
I have yet to add ACES but must first replace Sparkies this weekend and fuel filter (maybe, but really should for a fresh comparison...)
I am gonna see if the SoCal contingency (5000 and born2be) wanna split a VAG-COM since the local one up and split for the East side...

DHall1
January 7th, 2011, 21:32
I hear ya and I'm the first guy to demand data logs but, back when I tried the first tank of Aces I didnt have my Vag yet and I just wanted to give it a shot due to the lubricity claims. Car was 100% stock and I noticed a performance difference on the first tank of gas. I did not expect to feel that performance change. Since then we have had dozens of members change to Aces and they all report similar findings. We have had members running 100 octane reflash maps on 93oct+Aces, members in CA with crap gas and reflashes flat out raving about the stuff. These are owners that have driven their cars 70-80 and even 100k miles and suddenly notice the performance change from just adding the Aces.

Pat saw his blowby in the intercooler tract completely go away and oil that was once there(I saw it) is no longer there at oil change intervals.

So I know what everyone thinks about the 3oz of product but how can anyone say no to their RS6 when this stuff could help with performance and just maybe add the lubricity that the valvetrain and fuel system need.

I dont know what the Vag will show or exactly how it should be tested but have a few ideas. The difference will be minor but we would need to average 10 runs with or w/o to draw any conclusions.

I have already made my mind up a long time ago and just laugh when each new member tries this stuff and starts talking about the change. I run it in 5 cars and a diesel motorhome.

skribe
January 7th, 2011, 23:29
I'm a fan of quantitative vs. qualitative on some things...

I'm going to do it, too curious not to. Open to suggestions on what blocks to log -- I'm not exactly a VCDS guru.

And then I'll get you that MTM log you've been asking for.

skribe
January 7th, 2011, 23:39
Off/T:
In memory of Skribe, I nearly had a Thumper moment last night to complete the Bambi trilogy...

On/T:
I have yet to add ACES but must first replace Sparkies this weekend and fuel filter (maybe, but really should for a fresh comparison...)
I am gonna see if the SoCal contingency (5000 and born2be) wanna split a VAG-COM since the local one up and split for the East side...

Glad you avoided making venison. It has been a huge pain in my ass... at least my paint will be factory-new in the end, no orange peel rolling out of that shop. It makes me happy when i see a lambo and a ferrari getting worked on in the same shop as the beast.

I think anybody with any modicum of technical ability who owns a VW or Audi should have a vag-com. $350 seems like a lot of coin for a usb cable, but one way or another, it will pay for itself soon enough.

DHall1
January 8th, 2011, 01:47
Same log blocks as always. 3,31,115

LMK when the time comes and we can setup some testing standards. You said they are painting the whole car? If so, clear bra that bad boy in 3 weeks after the paint cures. Can you take some pics of the shop?

I just got the 249 USB model. We do not need the HexCan unit unless you want to scan newer Vag products.

My wife is just pulling in with the AMG. I have to go tell her Skribe is ordering the Aces and the world just turned 180 degrees on its axis.

Glad you avoided making venison. It has been a huge pain in my ass... at least my paint will be factory-new in the end, no orange peel rolling out of that shop. It makes me happy when i see a lambo and a ferrari getting worked on in the same shop as the beast.

I think anybody with any modicum of technical ability who owns a VW or Audi should have a vag-com. $350 seems like a lot of coin for a usb cable, but one way or another, it will pay for itself soon enough.

hahnmgh63
January 8th, 2011, 02:29
Hy Octane, not sure about your 91 in CA but most have been using a little less than the 1oz per 6 gallons, more like per 7 or 8 gallons. You may want to start at the recommended 1oz per 6 then work from there.

4everRS
January 8th, 2011, 04:36
We have 2 BP stations in town with different owners. One has 91 octane and the other has 92 octane. Guess which one blends Ethanol?
Actually, your 91 octane is at least legitimate, it's our 93 octane that's fake. Although 93 octane is readily available here, all they do is pump up the ethanol content of 91 or 92 to raise the octane.

papadoc
January 8th, 2011, 04:45
Just another vote for ACES IV and Quantum Blue. I've passed 100K miles, with APR chip, and now running on the 100 octane setting all of the time. Did recent oil change with Quantum Blue and will be doing the power steering fluid this weekend. Anyone who is a doubter should realize how many on the forum use the BND products, and I find it amazing that these gains in performance can be had so easily. The beast is scary fast now. My only concern is whether Brian and BND can scale their product, since if the world understands what they are doing, they will be flooded with orders.

Hy Octane
January 8th, 2011, 17:23
V8// I thought that they were only allowed to use a 10% ethanol blend due to the damage it can cause in higher concentrations to rubber parts etc.. Are you saying they are using more than that to get the 93 rating? I was under the impression they used more octane molecules from distillates (like Techron) to get it higher. I'll have to ask Brian about this, as well as how then do they get 100 oct racing fuel? I thought it was from a higher refinement process (thus the cost)...Cant be ethanol only.. Hmmmm. I need to know this to keep my handle in good standing ya know... <S>

JSRS6
January 9th, 2011, 00:11
And the line-out demon resurfaces again!

4everRS
January 11th, 2011, 03:18
This damn line out thing is pretty odd.

Because I know how much Pat likes others to answer questions for him - What is going on with the higher octane rating is how the gasoline is refined originally. If the base is at 92 before the ethanol blend, by blending it will be 93 after. This is due to the high octane rating of ethanol.
V8// I thought that they were only allowed to use a 10% ethanol blend due to the damage it can cause in higher concentrations to rubber parts etc.. Are you saying they are using more than that to get the 93 rating? I was under the impression they used more octane molecules from distillates (like Techron) to get it higher. I'll have to ask Brian about this, as well as how then do they get 100 oct racing fuel? I thought it was from a higher refinement process (thus the cost)...Cant be ethanol only.. Hmmmm. I need to know this to keep my handle in good standing ya know... <s></s>

hahnmgh63
January 11th, 2011, 04:27
Up here in Washington state we had 92 octane before they started blending it with Alcohol and still have 92 after the blend. Somebody is saving money on Octane additives and it's not the consumers.