PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on gutting the DRC and retaining the struts or aternatives to coil-overs

SteveKen
January 4th, 2011, 14:31
I'm not sure if it's been touched upon before, but STFA didn't seem to show it.

Is it possible to get rid of the DRC and retain the struts? My thoughts along the lines of removing the piping and putting some sort of valving (custom or maybe off the shelf) in place that allows the strut to be charged at a specific setting and remain constant. Any thoughts on this?

On a parallel path to this, is there any aftermarket shock and spring combination available for the beast? I don't like the thought of using coil-overs for just everyday driving. A nice lowering spring and shock combo would be ideal for me. STFA did turn up a theory by Innovator on this, but I'm not sure what he ended up with, etc.

I could experiment with cross referencing some S6 and A6 units, but it's not worth the trial and error. I'm sure that the shocks and springs are already out there, but has the combination been offered yet? The weight difference between the 4.2 and actually the 2.7T cars is probably not significant enough to make much difference, but I'm not at the point of crunching numbers yet.

Any thoughts on this?

Happy New year to everyone, btw.

covertw12
January 4th, 2011, 15:39
I think the KW3's and H-sport truly give a better ride the the DRC..... like you I looked at other options when I had my first car, but after driving a car with the KW's the choice was clear for my 2nd DD RS6...... having just finished a 2400 mile trip I can vouch that the car is more comfortable with then with the DRC that I drove it down from Chicago on..... and KW's reputation is a strong factor. they're pricey for sure but you know what you're getting....do it once and forget it.

How's progress with the RS6 manual conversion ? you still working on that ?

Cheers ~

E

SteveKen
January 4th, 2011, 17:03
I don't understand why we have to resort to coil overs and pay double for the adjustability on something that never needs to be adjusted in my case. I'm not dissing the 'you get what you pay for' thing, but I'd like to just pay for what I need, nothing more. A waste in my opinion. (Honestly, I am a bit of an el-cheap-o, though)

The conversion is in the late stage of the parts gathering mode, but I anticipate the conversion will go quickly once the parts are here. Maybe just a few days for the conversion.

I've got:

pedals, switches and wiring
adapter
starter
clutch
metal slave cylinder with SS flex line
01E
trans rebuild kit
tall 6th gear
matching air leather shift knob :)

And need:

flywheel (order this week)
drive shaft
front axles
shifter and linkages

More to follow and I'll be sure to document and photograph everything for those that want to install the kit, etc.

covertw12
January 4th, 2011, 18:36
I agree it would be nice if there was a more efficient kit for those not needing the height/ rebound adjustments - I just couldn't find an option that had proven viable..... some "might" work but compatibility of parts, rates etc was all questionable.

Have you got an ally in sorting out the needed software for the conversion ? that to me seems like the truly vapor-ware part, not to take away from the mechanical issues you've sorted out....

I'm hoping to be one of your first Beta's with a set of bigger turbo's when it's ready....

E

SteveKen
January 4th, 2011, 19:13
I've got a couple logs on the fire with respect to the ECU issues.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Jimmy
January 4th, 2011, 21:10
I'm ready to get rid of my DRC...its been re-built once under warranty and now at 91K its not right again. It was OK while it lasted though....not really impressed. Good design on paper I guess...just not executed well for the real world and the test of time....blah blah blah. Not to mention the CT dealers stink (IMO) so I won't be going to them for another fix.

Soooo...I started looking at the ECS Tuning suspension kit #999 for the A6 4.2...H&R sport springs with Bilstein sports. I haven't done any real research yet as I decided just this morning actually ! Perhaps too basic but for a daily driver in New England...that's all I need.

SteveKen
January 4th, 2011, 21:14
One of the reasons that I ask this is because I'm running shocks and springs meant for a 2.7T on my S6 and everything seems to be fine for my use.

They're the Koni FSD shocks and Eibach springs that are sold as a matched set.

hahnmgh63
January 4th, 2011, 21:35
Most any A6/S6 spring shock combo will fit and work although the spring rates may be off slightly for the RS6 and since the non-adjustable units are just that, non-adjustable then you will most definitley be going downhill in the ride/handling department compared to a working DRC or a quality coil over set-up. The car was a step up from the A6/S6 for a reason/intention.

V8weight
January 4th, 2011, 21:52
Has any body seen that 2Bennett offers a coil over setup for the beast? The price looks right considering they come assembled with new upper strut mounts.
http://2bennett.com/audi%20rs6.html

hahnmgh63
January 4th, 2011, 23:18
The 2Bennett setup are Koni coilovers, about $500 less than KW's, I think it is the Koni factory A6 set-up, maybe with a slightly stiffer spring, maybe the same?

coco
May 20th, 2012, 01:44
One of the reasons that I ask this is because I'm running shocks and springs meant for a 2.7T on my S6 and everything seems to be fine for my use.

They're the Koni FSD shocks and Eibach springs that are sold as a matched set.

Yes, I'm considering Koni FSD with Eibach spring set up for my daily driver RS6.
If what Koni says are right, it'll be great for my use.

I hear a lot good things about FSD used for VW Golf.....never heard for RS6.
But I believe there are some people who don't race, just need fast, safe, and comfortable transportation, with seats for four or five and reasonable cargo space, right?

Any insihgt on FSD and Eibach spring application for RS6?

Thanks,
Coco

kismetcapitan
May 20th, 2012, 04:16
I can only comment on Koni adjustables and H&R springs - the front is lowered a bit too much. I have the strunts set to stiffest, and it is bone-jarring. But has it helped cornering? Very much so!!