PDA

View Full Version : Pro's and Con's? of using a 20" wheel on the RS6

PALETTE
January 2nd, 2011, 17:08
Been looking for a while for rims for the Summer but looks like all the nice ones and all the reasonable priced ones are 18" or 20" the 19" are the most expensive.. What do you guys thing of the 20" i know the 18" are going to be a tad lighter but not by much and i am sure that i can find a decent 20" just as light.

What do you guys think??

CornersWell
January 2nd, 2011, 17:42
I've been on 20" wheels for several years now (Sportec Mono 10's), and I'm on the re-designed DRC. Depending on where you live, the ride is HARSH. You will feel EVERY crack in the road. I cringe at very pothole. I actively scan the road and need to give myself lots of room to avoid them.

Personally, I like the look of the 20's, but if they had been 19's, I would be fine with it. Also, I don't know what kind of wear and tear is going on due to the reduced cushioning of the wheel/tire package. And, due to the construction in and around the area, I've had NUMEROUS punctures, deflations and worse. I've had two tires go flat while I was driving on them (difficult to feel any difference with the REALLY low profile tires) resulting in bent rims and at least four premature tire replacements. I'm running the Bridgestone RE050A Pole Positions, which list at $400+ each. IIRC, I get them in the low $300's, but, still, at that rate, they get expensive.

So, if you're prepared for the cost and inconvenience of 20's, great. Otherwise, the 19's would do.

CW

speedtrapped
January 2nd, 2011, 18:31
Palette, I bought my RS6 with BBS-RS GT's, 20" and as Cornerswell described, look great, but ride is really harsh. I changed my rims for winter, running OEM 18" with sotozero Pirelli's, huge diff. I likely will get rid of my 20's and go RS4 19's.