PDA

View Full Version : Vag com question file set up

speedtrapped
January 2nd, 2011, 16:00
I have been searching Ross-tech and not able to find the answer. I have been trying to log, and I must have done something recently , because I would set up a log in defaulted as a spreadsheet file. Now whenever I set up a log, it defaults as text file. I can't find how to switch it thru VCDS software. Anyone know, would be big help. TIA

Chung
January 2nd, 2011, 17:26
Could it be that the CSV file just got set to open with notepad instead of your spreadsheet program? I don't know how to actually get the VAGCOM to save into a spreadsheet format but the CSV text file is close enough for me.

If you are using excel
Open Excel
File -> Open
To the right of the file name select "Text File (*.prn; *.txt; *.csv)
Find your log
Select Open

MaxRS6
January 2nd, 2011, 18:34
You can also right click on the file, select "open with" on the menu option, then select Excel and check the box "always use this program". This will set the file association of files with the "csv" extension to open with Excel. You can customize/change the file associations on demand for your individual needs.

Chung is probably right that your CSV extension became associated with Notepad.

speedtrapped
January 2nd, 2011, 18:36
Ty chung, figured out what is wrong, sorry I HATE microsoft products....I bought a cheapo lap top from walmart, so i could use a vag, ross tech has yet to make something for Mac. So my office 7 hasnt been properly set up, the 1st 7 times the system allowed me to use excel, but since i cant find product key to intiate office, I am locked out......MSFT sucks, sorry IMO

Chung
January 2nd, 2011, 18:56
I guess I should have the disclaimer that I work at Microsoft :)

The product key should be written on the little slide out thingy in the office box.

A couple other alternatives are:
You should be able to move the log to your Mac and open the file there
You could use open office (www.openoffice.org (http://www.openoffice.org)) to open the file.

JSRS6
January 2nd, 2011, 19:10
Or you could run windows with bootcamp on your Mac. Ross-tech is supposed to work on macs this way.

speedtrapped
January 2nd, 2011, 19:42
Sorry Chung, i appreciate your help, but 1st choice screwed, basically un boxed laptop and threw everything away. Josh Ty for the suggestion

Chung
January 2nd, 2011, 22:21
The laptop most likely came with just the trail edition of office anyways (Office is a lot of money). OpenOffice is free and should work alright for reading VAGCOM logs.

JSRS6
January 2nd, 2011, 22:44
I second open office. Can't beat free.

JSRS6
January 2nd, 2011, 22:45
I take that back, if free is crap then Id rather pay for good.

speedtrapped
January 3rd, 2011, 01:11
going to test it out, but did download openoffice.org. Ty Chung and Josh, and as MaxRS6 suggested I changed to default to spreadsheet, reason being logging the blocks...Thanks everyone